Leopard @ Dell Inspiron 6400 (same as E1505) success...

DerFlash

70 posts in this topic

I appied the IONetworkingFamily.kext and that got the wired eithernet working, but killed the 802.11n I think I would rather have the wireless given the choice.

I've never changed the VGA card. I belive it is considerably more complicated. I'm working wiht the Intel graphics. So that along with only running on one core has me considering another laptop for the task. I'll need to see how others are doing on Viaos or alienware boxes.

Thanks for the info on wired / non wired.....I would want the same, although there has to be a solution.

As a newer laptop I would probably just go with a mac if I want a 15.4 inch screen. Its just easier at this point. Otherwise probably the thinkpad x61 tablet ;) Nice, small, 2.5 pounds, and a tablet. Just hook it up to a docking station at home with a full monitor and keyboard and mouse.

It's just a matter of applying the appropriate driver for the 44x rather then an entire library of network adapter drivers. I'm pretty certain there would be info here on how to do that. With the wireless running I can wait until 10.5.1 is in a released state and I will revisit the issue then.

I appied the IONetworkingFamily.kext and that got the wired eithernet working, but killed the 802.11n I think I would rather have the wireless given the choice.

I've never changed the VGA card. I belive it is considerably more complicated. I'm working wiht the Intel graphics. So that along with only running on one core has me considering another laptop for the task. I'll need to see how others are doing on Viaos or alienware boxes.

Can I ask where you got the IONetworkingFamily.ketx? There are several versions floating around. Maybe even the date & timestamp would be sufficient.

It is from an older version and it should not be used in it's entirety. Doing that cripples the wireless n on my system. It does contain a driver that gets the wired ethernet working. Just copy the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext file out of it and into the folder of the same path structure on your system. Then repair permissions from the disk utility. Then open a terminal window and type the following:

1. sudo -s

2. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext/

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext/

4. chmod -R 755 AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

5. reboot

It is from an older version and it should not be used in it's entirety. Doing that cripples the wireless n on my system. It does contain a driver that gets the wired ethernet working. Just copy the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext file out of it and into the folder of the same path structure on your system. Then repair permissions from the disk utility. Then open a terminal window and type the following:

1. sudo -s

2. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext/

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext/

4. chmod -R 755 AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

5. reboot

Thanks for the instruction on that. Think I should go and buy a 1500 on ebay or 1505?

the 1500 is the safe bet. The 1505 may or may not work out of the box. It's hard to predict unless tried. If I got the 1505 and it didn't work, I would attempt to add the device id to the same driver that is running the 1500.

What exactly is the diff between the two? Even on the windows side.

Hi All

So sorry. Me a total newbie in this. I have inspiron 6400 laptop also. And I just downloaded APPLE.Mac.OSX.LEOPARD.Final.10.5.iso. Not sure this is correct or not. I am wondering how do i start to intsall this to my inspiron 6400 which i have partition my harddisk into 2 (winxp and another for Leopard).

Can some kind soul who successfully installed leopard in Inspiron 6400 guide me.

Thank you very much.

Please email to chubbiz@gmail.com

Cheers

Regards

Justin

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

Great job for your all works. I had problems with my old Brazilmac DVD and I then downloaded a new Brazilmac image.

I just installed the system, reboot, install EFI 5.2, repair permissions like onetrack said, and then reboot.

But I still have a problem. My computer boots until the blue screen apple and then black screen.

I tried with verbose and safe mode, the computer said lots of thing until a line with written started, then blue screen, then black screen.

The proc seems to go on. I just have no more display.

Does anyone had this problem ?

My config:

DELL inspiron 640 m

Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GhZ

RAM: 2048

Intel GMA950

Wireless 3945

Thanks a lot

Hi anon_,

You can make it by adding cpus=1 in your com.apple.boot:

"sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

edit the Kernel Flags accordingly:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 -v</string>"

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15474

Do you inspiron works ?? Do you have a black screen after booting ??

Hi anon_,

You can make it by adding cpus=1 in your com.apple.boot:

"sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

edit the Kernel Flags accordingly:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 -v</string>"

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15474

Do you inspiron works ?? Do you have a black screen after booting ??

yeah, it works for me

oh, i booted leo successfully with 2 cores (some quantum fluke because it would just reset, i only done this one other time)

video/motion is just messed with in this

hello guys, i am currently using a dell inspiron 6400 with ati x1400.. i cant make QE and CI work using the method of adding the device id in the atiradeonx1000.kext.. i dont know what to do anymore.. i know it is pretty easy but still i cant make it to work.. CI = software under system profiler.. can someone send me their atiradeonx1000.kext instead so that i can tell whether it is the computer or just the kext... ive tried reinstalling several times.. my email is xtian088@yahoo.com

tia!

Hi everybody,

Great job for your all works. I had problems with my old Brazilmac DVD and I then downloaded a new Brazilmac image.

I just installed the system, reboot, install EFI 5.2, repair permissions like onetrack said, and then reboot.

But I still have a problem. My computer boots until the blue screen apple and then black screen.

I tried with verbose and safe mode, the computer said lots of thing until a line with written started, then blue screen, then black screen.

The proc seems to go on. I just have no more display.

Does anyone had this problem ?

My config:

DELL inspiron 640 m

Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GhZ

RAM: 2048

Intel GMA950

Wireless 3945

Thanks a lot

I have the same problem with my Dell 9400. I used Toh DVD RC2. I think it has something to do with the Video driver because when you boot in -v mode you can see something like video matching fails. I was able to installed it successfully and got it running. Disable the core gives the system more speed but still the hard drive transfer rate is slower than my Tiger 10.4.8.

I'm reinstalling Leo again with different options. Hopefully I can troubleshoot to see exactly why I'm having the black screen after the graphics starting to kick in. If you can figure out, let me know. I have Tiger on a different hard drive so I just have to switch back and forth to use Tiger to add/remove/edit my kexts.

I also found out Leo is actually running even though it's showing the black screen. If you hit the power button which is a shortcut for Shut Down, then hit Enter key; it will turn the system off. So I think it's more likely the display driver. How do I fix a display driver? Anyone has any idea?

Successfully installed and upgraded to 10.5.1 using Brazilmac patch.

But my computer seems to be running slow even if my 2nd core is disabled. Any solution or guide would be helpful.

My System (Brazilmac Patched):

Dell E1505 Inspiron

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz

Wireless Draft D - Working

ATI X1300 Mobility - Not Working :wallbash:

80GB Hitachi HDD - Obviously Working

Sigmatel 9200 - Working

Battery Indicator - Not Working

My Dell e1505 Configuration:

Intel Centrino Duo Core 2GHz

1256MB (1G + 256MB)

Intel GM950 Graphics Card (1650x1050 QE/CI working)

60GB 7200RPM HD

500GB WD MyBook Essential 2.0

10/100MB Broadcom 44X (working)

Intel Wireless 3945abg (not working)

Sigmatel 9200 (working but no mute on headphone)

I am running Leopard 10.5.1 EFI Vanilla kernel with all updates from Apple website. I'm fairly happy except for the wireless. Planning to get the Broadcom wireless card and swap with Intel Wireless.

Dual core does not work correctly for me. Most of the time it wont even boot without the cpus=1 flag and when it does I'm stuck with the familiar stuttering {censored}. This is with the new 10.5.1 kalyway disk. Wake from sleep also doesn't work, the screen stays black. Sad really because nearly everything else works perfect.

10.5.1 mostly working on my E1505 now except for requiring cpus=1 and of course sleep mode failing to wake up properly. I have it dual booting with Ubuntu linux, using grub as the primary bootloader. Vanilla kernel with EFI.

Specs:

Core 2 Duo T7200 (cpus=1)

2GB DDR2

Nvidia 7300 256mb (1680x1050 qe/ci)

WD 160GB hd

Dell 1500 11n (working)

Broadcom 44x ethernet (working)

Sigmatel STAC9200 audio (working)

Used iATKOS 1.0R2 to install.

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz (T7200), 1 GB RAM and ATI RADEON X1400 videocard.

I succesfully install Kallyway, but after the loading screen, when the login screen should appear, it goes to a black screen and nothing happen from then...

Any advices please?

Installed with the Brazil patched "Leopard Final DVD"...

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2008

The PostInstallscript did work for me btw, so i did the steps by hand.

Core Duo 1.66Ghz - Dual Core works but disabled dual core mode and much faster

ATI X1300 Mobility - CI/QE works by adding the ID "0x71491002" to "IOPCIMatch" in /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist... but only at 1024x768 (1280x800 needed :-/ )

Cursor flickers again like in Tiger, so i'll search for the known workaround again later...

Dell 1390 WLAN works

Ethernet - works

Sigmatel 9200 Audio - works with AppleHDAPatcher_v1.15 and STAC9200.txt

The laptop also has SuSE 10.3 and Vista installed, so i use Grub for the boot selection. Grub boots Leopard with the chain0-method but can also boot the osx-partition directly with its chainloader!

Thanks to the guys who have made the Patch! You're GREAT!!!

leo6400sm1.th.png

What wireless chipset do you have on your wifi card? Can you give more info since I have the Intel 3945abg that is useless at this moment? I would really like to get my wifi up and running.

• 4 weeks later...