Leopard @ Dell Inspiron 6400 (same as E1505) success...

DerFlash

70 posts in this topic

Installed with the Brazil patched "Leopard Final DVD"...

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2008

The PostInstallscript did work for me btw, so i did the steps by hand.

Core Duo 1.66Ghz - Dual Core works but disabled dual core mode and much faster

ATI X1300 Mobility - CI/QE works by adding the ID "0x71491002" to "IOPCIMatch" in /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist... but only at 1024x768 (1280x800 needed :-/ )

Cursor flickers again like in Tiger, so i'll search for the known workaround again later...

Dell 1390 WLAN works

Ethernet - works

Sigmatel 9200 Audio - works with AppleHDAPatcher_v1.15 and STAC9200.txt

The laptop also has SuSE 10.3 and Vista installed, so i use Grub for the boot selection. Grub boots Leopard with the chain0-method but can also boot the osx-partition directly with its chainloader!

Thanks to the guys who have made the Patch! You're GREAT!!!

leo6400sm1.th.png

GREAT!!! Thanks for the info. Looks like we have the same system (except I have the intel3945 that doesn't work :thumbsup_anim: )

Will other resolutions work with the ati card (obviously without the enhancements)?

Does anyone know if this works with the Dell Wireless 1505 N? I'm thinking of getting that wireless card as a replacement.

So dual core now works, but if you disable it, the system is faster? Man, these inspirons are just left in the cold regarding dual core compatibility. I've had osx on my laptop before, but lack of dual core and fan control (under osx my fans were running full time all the time even with the workarounds), have left me no choice but to go back to windows. Freaking DELL!

I edited the info.plist but quartz/ce is not enabled :D

also my menu bar is not transparent :)

Oh by the way in the postPatch script they made some errors (some extra "/") in some directories thats why it kept saying file not found.

Installed with the Brazil patched "Leopard Final DVD"...

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2008

The PostInstallscript did work for me btw, so i did the steps by hand.

Core Duo 1.66Ghz - Dual Core works but disabled dual core mode and much faster

same system here (except graphics). also, after disabling second core, system runs much more stable and faster. wonder if there may be a fix.

have you played with sleep yet? mine doesn't work, just wakes up to a black screen just like in 10.4.10. guess it has to do with the gm945 intel card that shares system memory.

I updated the applesmbios to 1.0.11 and the system shows core duo at 1.8GHz, even though it's only 1.66GHz.

I have a dell inspiron 6400 intel video) and i used the leopard flat image. pulled out the HD put the in my asus P5W DH tower and put the drive image on the sata drive .

Poped the sata drive back in my inspiron 6400.

and it worked!(put 1 core to sleep in the bios befor i booted 2 cores will crash at boot)

Had to install sound and lan kext files.

Intel gma 950 set was detected corectly with 64 MB and had full QE/CI

every thing works eccept sleep . dont have battery indicator . sound buttons work auto mute works 2 (speakers stop when you incers a headphone)

:) i also have a eject button

wierd problem with the mouse pointer

some times when the mouse cursor canges shape the old pointer image sticks a round for a few secs.

same system here (except graphics). also, after disabling second core, system runs much more stable and faster. wonder if there may be a fix.

have you played with sleep yet? mine doesn't work, just wakes up to a black screen just like in 10.4.10. guess it has to do with the gm945 intel card that shares system memory.

I updated the applesmbios to 1.0.11 and the system shows core duo at 1.8GHz, even though it's only 1.66GHz.

mine doesn't work too.

the lcd doesn't turn off when I fold the lcd.

when I click the sleep at apple menu, leopard halt(has no response).

leopard can support CI/QE on x1400 by add the device id 0x1745 to the X1000 kext.

but has mouse tears. I'll try the mouse locator(mentioned at:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=69423&st=0) to fix this problem.

but wifi(intel3945), lan(broadcom440x), audio(sigmatel9200), card reader can not work and I have no idea.

sound buttons work auto mute works 2 (speakers stop when you incers a headphone)

;) i also have a eject button

candykane, how did you get the mute on headphone insert get to work. which kext did you specifically install? My sound works but not the mute when I insert headphones into my 6400.

thanks

Hi everybody~I have a INSPIRON 6400 too~I have some problems on my Leopard~I hope somebody teach me how to fix the problems,thanks in advance~

I used 10.4.10 tiger before,I instlled display card driver ,Wired Lan card driver,Sound card driver,all work probably,but in Leopard,I only installed sound card driver successfully~

Anyone tell me how to install?

my laptop:

DELL INSPIRON

INTEL Core 2 Duo T7200@2.0Ghz

512MB x2 =1GB DDR2 667

LCD Monitor 1680x1050(I know the display card cannot output 1680x1050 in Hackintosh,so I am stisfied if it works on 1400x1050)

ATI Mobility Radeon X1300(I use the method provided in this forum for this laptop on Tiger,I succed on tiger,but failed on Leopard,why?)

Sigmatel 9200(I instlled the driver successfully,but cannot mute the speaker when I insert headphone,any solutions for me?)

Wired Lan Broadcom 440X(I used a installation guide from a Chinese Blog,It works on Tiger,but failed on Leopard......)

Wireless Lan Intel 3945ABG(I know that there are no any workable drivers now,can you suggest me any WLAN CARD to replace it in TIGER,LEOPARD,win XP and VISTA?)

Inspiron 6400 (E1505)

I used Brazil patch

CPU

Disable second core

Video ATI

ATI X1300 Mobility - CI/QE works by adding the ID "0x71491002" to "IOPCIMatch" in /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist... but only at 1024x768 (1280x800 needed :-/ )

Cursor flickers again like in Tiger, so i'll search for the known workaround again later...

Sound

Sigmatel 9200 Audio - works with AppleHDAPatcher_v1.15 and STAC9200.txt

Google AppleHDAPatcher_v1.15 (I used 1.16) and STAC9200.txt

Download both files and run the AppleHDAPatcher. Drag the STAC9200.txt to the app icon.

Took me less than 5 min to do sound

Dell 1390 WLAN: No out of box support for me. Any kext files you guys can send?

Ethernet: No out of box support for me. Any kext files you guys can send?

Copied Original IONetworking from DVD and repaired permissions. Works fine NOW!!!!

---Set Higher Resolution?

---Mouse Tear?

Running on an external 2.5

Used the ToH Leopard disc on a E1505. Had to install JaS 10.4.8 first to get the bootsector.

Core Duo 2Ghz - Dual Core works but in disabled dual core mode it is much faster

Sigmatel Audio - works with AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 and STAC9200.txt

Broadcom 10/100 Ethernet - works with Broadcom 44 patch

ATI x1300 Mobility - patiently waiting for someone to make a driver :unsure:

Intel Wireless 3945 abg - gave up :wallbash:Does anyone know if the Dell Wireless 1505 abgn works?

Turned off sleep mode.

About to try patching for EFI with the new EFI update :)

I have a Dell wireless 1500 in my 6400 and loaded the Leo flat image. (ven 14E4 dev 4328) It looks like the drivers for this are installed correctly but I have only seen brief glimpses of available networks after a scan, then they vanish.

Wired connection does not function either. Broadcom 44x ven (14E4 dev 170C) does not seem to be in plist. No sound with Sigmatel (ven 8384 dev 7690) yet, even after patching with HDA17 and codec#0 dump from linux.

I'm convinced this is resovable. ebay another wireless card if I need to. Any suggestions would be welcome.

:)

I have a Dell wireless 1500 in my 6400 and loaded the Leo flat image. (ven 14E4 dev 4328) It looks like the drivers for this are installed correctly but I have only seen brief glimpses of available networks after a scan, then they vanish.

Wired connection does not function either. Broadcom 44x ven (14E4 dev 170C) does not seem to be in plist. No sound with Sigmatel (ven 8384 dev 7690) yet, even after patching with HDA17 and codec#0 dump from linux.

I'm convinced this is resovable. ebay another wireless card if I need to. Any suggestions would be welcome.

:)

I never tried to replace a card on a laptop before. How easy was replacing the wireless card? I may take the plunge and get the 1505 (its full n - not pre n)

Also is it possible to replace the video? I may get something completely compatible with leopard then :)

I never tried to replace a card on a laptop before. How easy was replacing the wireless card? I may take the plunge and get the 1505 (its full n - not pre n)

Also is it possible to replace the video? I may get something completely compatible with leopard then :)

Sucks the changed the PCMCIA slots! Time to throw the Cisco card in the trash.

So is this the official 6400 Inspirion thread? I have everything working excpet for lan and wireless. I would like to get everything togather for other 6400 users and post it some place. Anyone get the wireless to work?

my laptop is Dell Inspiron 6400(cpu:T5500, lcd:15.4'', vga:X1400, audio:Sigmatel9200, lan:BroadCom440x, wlan:intel3945).

and have no driver for audio, lan, wlan, card reader, vga just only work at 1024 x 768 and could not to change the resolution.

there is a test driver is iwi3945, but can not work (the classical four language page appeared when I installed the driver and followed the instruction to reboot.)

I got the sound working by restoring the image and using the 1.16 patcher. 1.17 did not work in my previous attempt. Wireless is now working after setting cpu=1. Wired ethernet is still not functional, but with 802.11n working, it would seem I have a new toy.

I got the sound working by restoring the image and using the 1.16 patcher. 1.17 did not work in my previous attempt. Wireless is now working after setting cpu=1. Wired ethernet is still not functional, but with 802.11n working, it would seem I have a new toy.
Did you have to do anything besides the cpu=1 for the wireless to work? Any drivers? or was it like this out of the box? I'm thinking of picking up a 1505 (full n) from ebay.How difficult is it to replace?
Have you tried this IONetworkingfamily.kext (I'm attaching it) It works on my Broadcom 440x ethernet.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Yes, the drivers for the wireless 1500 worked right out of the box. With the system not set for cpu=1, it was not able to scan for available networks. If your planning on upgrading yours, it is easy to change. It's right under the keyboard. Flip the screen all the way back and remove the hinge cover (prys off from right to left) then a few screws to remove the keyboard.

Thanks for the file. I will try it in a bit. I had tried that in one of my previous attempts but after applying it the system would not boot. It is worth another shot. I need to look at getting more res out of the display as well. In any case, this is quite a treat. I've not had my hands on a mac OS for 10 years.

Yes, the drivers for the wireless 1500 worked right out of the box. With the system not set for cpu=1, it was not able to scan for available networks. If your planning on upgrading yours, it is easy to change. It's right under the keyboard. Flip the screen all the way back and remove the hinge cover (prys off from right to left) then a few screws to remove the keyboard.

Thanks for the file. I will try it in a bit. I had tried that in one of my previous attempts but after applying it the system would not boot. It is worth another shot. I need to look at getting more res out of the display as well. In any case, this is quite a treat. I've not had my hands on a mac OS for 10 years.

It may have worked for me because I first installed tiger. Patched it under tiger. Then ran the leopard install.

Prying off the hinge....got to love dell.

Does your card actually show up as N or did it only show up as b/g? Do you know if we can upgrade the video card? I have an ATI Mobility x1300...so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you on that.

I appied the IONetworkingFamily.kext and that got the wired eithernet working, but killed the 802.11n I think I would rather have the wireless given the choice.

I've never changed the VGA card. I belive it is considerably more complicated. I'm working wiht the Intel graphics. So that along with only running on one core has me considering another laptop for the task. I'll need to see how others are doing on Viaos or alienware boxes.