Leopard's First Virus

Numberzz

35 posts in this topic

There are some worms that we just cannot stop. I for example made a CD that would run a script that would run a shutdown script and add that same command to the startup items, neither of which require UAC consent.

AppleScript is a wonderful thing, isn't it, Meowy?

Yes, but I was talking about Windows :unsure:

On OS X, tell application Dock to quit, delay 4, tell application Dock to quit, delay 4, tell application Dock to quit, delay 4, etc etc can be fun

Yes, but I was talking about Windows :thumbsup_anim:

On OS X, tell application Dock to quit, delay 4, tell application Dock to quit, delay 4, tell application Dock to quit, delay 4, etc etc can be fun

Any brainless person can make a silly script to do something like that, kids stuff. Takes something special to make a really big deal and do some damage to your system, it's more pointed at the user than the Corps because they can't do the damage anymore.

Any brainless person can make a silly script to do something like that, kids stuff. Takes something special to make a really big deal and do some damage to your system, it's more pointed at the user than the Corps because they can't do the damage anymore.

Not exactly. This script requires little more than being on as an admin (note: DON'T USE THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR APPLICATIONS FOLDER).

Mods: this was done for informational purposes only, please don't ban me.

AppleScript_Virus.app

Not exactly. This script requires little more than being on as an admin (note: DON'T USE THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR APPLICATIONS FOLDER).

Mods: this was done for informational purposes only, please don't ban me.

AppleScript_Virus.app

What I mean is anyone can do this sort of thing, in linux write a .sh script with rm -rf / in it and pass it round, but it's not lightly to make a big impact, unlike blaster worm that caught millions out even experienced users.

A virus to me is something that will harm your computer without the user even knowing it. You know, like in Windows.

Also, it is not recommended to use your Admin (or root) account as a user account. Unless you're in Windows, in which case it doesn't really matter.

hecker

PC's suck? My Mac's hardware started on fire... Apple gave me a new machine and wow an apple virus this is just news to me. Installed Ubuntu on my apple and I'm happy.

Yes and at some point in time, you'll encounter the same thing on Ubuntu.

Over 2 years ago, on an Ubuntu install, a little after seeing the desktop, my screen started to act up and I saw this huge skull-pic on my screen. I don't know what that was (I just did a reset), but I doubt it was anything normal.

I would just like to use this chance to ask though: how far up to scratch is the OS X firewall really? I hear all this buzing about it having more holes than Swiss chees, but mine is on, with those advanced options enabled as well :thumbsdown_anim: So what gives?