Is Leopard Form over Function?

14 posts in this topic

We're all getting used to Leopard, with it's "300+ features", and I've been feeling a little frustrated with Stacks. Actually, I've been getting quite pissed off with the dock in general. It feels very half-assed. Anyways, this article shares some of my views to say the least (it's 13 pages into the article...)

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.ars/13

"Both of these new features [Fan, Grid] are actually pretty nice. It's too bad Apple decided to completely replace the old behavior. It would have been so easy to have it all: just add a "Window" menu item alongside Fan and Grid in the "View as" submenu."

Actually, the article has many good points, and is worth the read when you have some time.

Which brings the question -- is Leopard really superior to Tiger, especially in function? At this point, I think not.

I think once developers start building apps that use leopard's new apis it will be seen as a very worthwhile upgrade, and from a lot of developer blogs i've read a lot of them will be building leopard-only apps in their next versions.

In the case of stacks, there's a real easy workaround: Use alias's. I figured that out around build 466.

kewl workaround, thanks.

This review has been posted elsewhere...dozens of times. Please post about it in Reader News in one of those thousand topics.

It wasn't posted here. Thanks for comin' out though.

Meh, I'm not that impressed by leopard. Coverflow is neat. Xbench score is a tad better. Stacks are mostly annoying. When I download something, I want to start working with it immediately from the desktop. Whether you agree or disagree with the article, whenever change is implemented in an operating system, there should be an option to do it the old way for some things. Hopefully Apple will pick up on this in the next update. Thanks for the tip on using aliases =)

stacks is just one click away from the desktop. I have always had a download folder in my dock and or extract files to desired locations never to desktop - i think thats just an old windows habit. i do agree however there should be an option for defaults presented in earlier builds.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah.. That article was pretty bad.

And as for that "Window" thing, isn't there a "Show in Finder" option right next to where they're pointing?

Or are they referring to something else.

And if it bugs you that much, just put a folder on the desktop!

i think it is a little flashy, but it works better for me then tiger did. it hasnt crashed, the speed is better, faster boots. overall i still think function is still apples top priority

That very article goes in to great detail on the various back-end functionalities that have been added to Leopard. While the reviewer has some very strong opinions on the UI changes, he does clearly state that the new back-end functionality will make Leopard much better than Tiger once new applications begin to take advantage of them.

As for my own part, Leopard runs far better on my notebook than Tiger did. That's good enough for me.