OS X on Virtualbox: Has it been done?

52 posts in this topic

• 3 months later...

Ok friends, I’m new here as posting a reply but regular reader.

Yes, VirtualBox 3.2 is having option to run Mac Snow Leopard as guest OS. It worked in Windows environment. 64 Bit Windows 7 will not have any issues, but you must keep guest OS memory size low.

Here is the complete guide which work for me in Windows 7 32Bit Intel PC and some other configurations for others.

• 2 weeks later...
I did follow your guide, and I did download server, which is what the second edit of my first post said. I think the problem is actually that my processor (a Pentium M) is incompatible with the PAE instruction set.

well, i have that same processor (at a higher frequency, 2.0ghz). and could never install natively or virtualize osx.

at least until i came upon SnowOSX Universal. It basically works on any hardware even Pentium Ms.

It is Snow Leopard so im not sure if that makes it irrelevant or not.

usually obtainable via torrent you should be careful about which ones you download though.

Just curious if anyone has OSX 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 running on VirtualBox 3.2? I would like to get Snow Leopard running on VirtualBox! I did a lot of searching on OSX86, but Leopard seems to be the latest, running also on a down level version of VirtualBox....

Just curious if anyone has OSX 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 running on VirtualBox 3.2? I would like to get Snow Leopard running on VirtualBox! I did a lot of searching on OSX86, but Leopard seems to be the latest, running also on a down level version of VirtualBox....

Versions of Snow Leopard have been possible since VirtualBox 3.1.2 (possibly earlier), and it also runs well on v.3.2. VirtualBox versions 3.2.beta1 and higher no longer require you to patch VirtualBox, so it is now really easy. There are links to various tutorials all over the web, including here on InsanelyMac and on the VirtualBox forums. Probably the easiest one is takwing's tutorial (its the most linked to). This method uses EmpireEFI to install and then various .kext patches are applied after the install. The options for installing SL on VirtualBox are comparable to installing SL on an actual computer. I've done it several different ways myself just for the fun of it (virtualization is a safe way to teach yourself basic Hackintosh skills), so if you have problems I can probably help you out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

See the link here:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtualization.php

RETAIL 10.6.3 -> Updated to stock 10.6.4

Using only fakesmc.kext and an edited audio kext with a majority of 3D support (you can play chess but not drop widgets).

Use virtualbox v3.2.6 and empire efi 1.0.85RC2 then manually install chameleon aserebln 1.1.9 or later post install...

Audio with 3D acceleration for video and a super fast OSX GUEST OS in WINDOWS HOST OS...

Talk about a much easier way to learn things and convenience...distros are officially for noobs!

• 1 month later...

Confirmed working on Win7x64 with VB 3.2.8, Empire EFI, Snowleopard.

Not working: Audio, Firewire

Firewire and audio would be a HUGE thing here, because all kinds of Audio/Film editing enthusiasts would {censored} their britches to have OSX virtualized so they can interact with their mac brethren without giving up their setup.

Audio works on both 32 and 64 bit platforms. You're doing it wrong.

FW support in VMs is ultra limited if existent at all due to the nature of emulation+speed.

I followed this procedure, all the links to x64 audio are dead there:

http://www.sysprobs.com/install-mac-snow-l...-apple-intel-pc

Haven't found anything elsewhere yet on x64 audio...

• 1 month later...

Running 'Stock' OS X Server Snow Leopard 10.6.4, from Empire EFI bootloader

on VirtualBox 3.2.10 r66523

On OpenIndiana - 'Oi' - the reincarnation of openSolaris

it SCREAMS!

Hardware GA-X38T-DQ6

4 GB DDR3 1600

Overclocked to 3.6 GHz

FSB 1600 MHz

Yep! Installing OS X in virtualbox on Windows is pretty easy,

I have managed to get the sound working and installing OS X 10.6.4

I am also making youtube tutorials for whoever wants to watch, this is a short guide to installing it on virtualbox with steps every single step.

Thanks for watching

Next episode will show how to get the right colour title bar, sound and OS X 10.6.4!

• 3 weeks later...

VirtualBox has the most 3D support but it's not perfected yet.

This isn't really designed to replace a bare-metal installation.

Instead, it can teach you about efi boot, using boot cds, and the basics of how the OS looks and feels.

It WILL support/run a majority of applications without problems. Just don't expect miracles.

And when someone creates a miracle, tonymac will probably rename it to something else and claim he invented it.