Wacom on Hackintosh?

Threepwood

31 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

My Intuos3 won't work under OS X. It seems it isn't detected on startup and therefore doesn't work. If the tablet is connected during startup I can't move the cursor around but the blue LED is lit. If I unplug/replug I can move the cursor. System Profiler always sees the tablet on the USB bus, even when I can't even move the cursor.

I have tried reinstalling the driver (latest version), rebooting, connecting it to different USB ports, using different accounts... Always the same error message when I open up the preference pane:

"A USB tablet was not found when the system started."

It works perfectly under Windows XP on the same computer.

Has anyone experienced this?

• Like 1

I've been using Wacom Intuos 3 A5 Wide from the first day I installed my Hackintosh. No problems whatsoever (although I still didn't try latest driver, but I don't think it will be any different).

I have Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 + Asus P5W DH, so it might be that there's problem because of AMD processor (although that seems strange to me). It would be interesting to see what are the experiences of other Athlon users.

I can't see why the processor would make a difference. It's about the USB interface, or some software that interferes with it. I haven't had any problems with other USB devices.This is hugely irritating. I have to reboot and go into XP every time I want to use the tablet, maybe do all of my design work there. It cost €290 and now I can't use it the way I planned. :blink:

I mean System Profiler application:in /Applications/UtilitiesDouble click in it and look in section Software/Extensionspost-25823-1193404471_thumb.jpg
I see. There's no tablet related kext here.

ok, so I pretty much have the same problem with my newly bought wacom bamboo tablet. it also says it wasnt detected on startup and suggests that I should restart. that of course didnt help.

and in the system profiler there is no tablet kext. on my macbook the wacom works of course. but when I check the system profiler there is no tablet kext either.

my hackintosh is an amd sempron 1.9ghz (64bit am2 sockel) on an msi mainboard with the jas 10.4.8 install... nothing special here. usb mouse and memory stick seem to be working fine.

I just cant figure out what is wrong here. if I unplug and replug the wacom it works in mouse mode and moves the pointer, but the system tab in the preferences still says it's not detected. so I cant use it in any productive way.

is there something like an usb patch that we might have forgotten here?

any help is appretiated. because besides this issue and some minor mouse tearing my hackintosh is running smooth as a babies butt.

greets,

johny

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi, I'm on 10.5.6. Everything works BUT the Intuos3, which didn't show up after I installed the Inutos3 driver. Mind you, the mouse/stylus still moves the cursor, but they do it in the same fashion they would without a driver (reading: slugish and wonky). After DMG freezing and screen bouncing (my Radeon), this is the last thing I need to fix in order to perfect this install. Any help would be much appreciated.

In case it looks like I didn't read, I did do the following (several times for other things, once more now for good measure):

deleted Extensions.mkext

started with the -f flag

If that's what you mean by clearing the kext cache, I think I did this correctly.

Also, it shows up in the System Profiler as a USB device, but there's no tablet.kext I can find in extensions and the driver refuses to cooperate. >_<

Hi Mate,

re dmg crashing, try the seatbelt kext from 10.5.5 or if your kernel matches 10.5.6 use the one from anv kernel 1.4 (see new releases) you can extract the kext from his installer using pacifist to desktop and install using osx86 tools.

Remember to fix permissions with disk utility before rebooting.

Good luck!

HC

touch extensions is also a good move i have been told (terminal and osx86 tools)

Heh, actually, I should've written "after fixing DMG freezing and screen bouncing". (and let me pay it forward by adding repair links for anyone who got here with the same problems I had =3). So yeah, the only remaining issues are:

- Crappy sound from USB sound card (Fixed: Slide balance meter a little bit)

- Wacom Intuos3 PTZ-930 doesn't show up after driver install (Fixed, see below)

Okay, this is what I did, but I'm not sure what fixed it. I could've sworn I've tried all of these tricks before:

1. Go to Applications folder

2. Go to Wacom Tablet folder

3. Run "Remove Wacom Tablet"

4a. Click the "Remove All Preference Files" button on the left FIRST

4b. Click "Remove Tablet Software".

5a. Make sure "System Preferences" is closed

5b. At some point, I don't remember if this is before or after the next step, I unplugged my tablet from the direct link (via an extension cable) to the motherboard port to a powered hub I have.

6. I downloaded the 6.08 driver (NOT 6.10 RC2, which I'd tried repeatedly) and installed it.

7. Before ANYTHING (didn't go back to system prefs to check), I reset the computer

8. I smashed F8 to go to the options menu, and typed in -f to boot with that option (clear kext cache I think)

9. Presto, it worked!

In case anyone else comes across this, that's what fixed it for me.

• 1 month later...

Have you had trouble with the Wacom PTZ 930 caused a lot of freezes / kernel panics? I'm running a system that's getting kernel panics and the only thing I can think of causing it is the Wacom tablet. Are there additional drivers that need to be installed for it?

Thanks!