Mac Mini server

Gray_Matter

7 posts in this topic

probably you can, but you may need to edit the installer to remove hardware checks (it's easy, look the leopard forums, they do it to run leo on g3s and so)

Why would you need to remove hardware checks? OS X Server will install on any "Server or Desktop" G4, G5, or Intel Mac, so it should be able to install on a Mac mini without any hacking.

whats the server for? if it's just file/printer shearing with no other things going on i would recommend linux with no GUI. It's vary fast. even a mac mini would make a great server if it's set up like this.

I'd take FreeBSD over Linux any day on a server system :thumbsdown_anim: Either way, it's also a lot harder to configure than OS X Server. If it's only for a college project, why bother learning how to set-up a non-GUI system like that? Providing it's got enough RAM, I can't see why OS X server running on a Mac Mini would be slow at all (unless it starts disk thrashing, which is bad news on a 2.5" HD!)

I used a Celeron 333 laptop as a webserver running a site based on PHP/MySQL for years, and nobody ever complained about it being slow, provided no more than about 5-6 people made http requests at the same time! Compared to that, the Mini is a monster computer.