Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) v3.1 doesn't work?

leobag

13 posts in this topic

I've read that apple's Remote Desktop (I think 3.1 is the latest version) doesn't work on the Leopard beta. Has anyone found a work around (possibly different software) so an admin running Leopard can control other clients (not necessarily running leopard)?

• 2 weeks later...

There is probably a conflict between the "Screen Sharing" app built into Leopard and ARD.

If all you need to do is control another users screen , the built in app should suffice. If you need the more advanced features of ARD, then well...I don't really know.

But at least Screen Sharing.app is better than nothing.

BTW, SS works really well, even when connecting to Tiger clients.

There is probably a conflict between the "Screen Sharing" app built into Leopard and ARD.

If all you need to do is control another users screen , the built in app should suffice. If you need the more advanced features of ARD, then well...I don't really know.

But at least Screen Sharing.app is better than nothing.

rly, i cant get it to connect, what do u have to do to make it be able too?

EDIT: i got it to connect but cannot get it to authenticate, even a user with no password i cannot log into. help(lol)

Hazkid, could you please elaborate on this? I want to control my Tiger mac at home from a Leopard machine at work.

What should I do on each machine? I am desperately running Timbuktu now. :P

Hi!

I connected yesterday via Screen sharing to a Tiger computer from internet (of a friend), with the current user logged into it, but today i've tried again and doesn't let me authenticate. My friend has not changed any configuration at all... anyone know a solution?

Thanks!

Edit: To be sure..., what service would the server machine have enabled?

Most of the stuff on ADC doesn't get leaked as it's of little interest to the general community. Legitimate arguments can be made for users experiencing Leopard before release (student developers, for instance, who can't afford the ADC Select membership often resort to leaked builds - Apple's gotten much stricter as of late with giving comped access to the builds) but if you really are in an environment where you need Apple Remote Desktop as opposed to a free/cheap VNC solution then you really should consider buying a membership. ARD is a pretty pricey app to begin with and is overkill for most uses.