Safe to buy MacBook Pro?

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm saving up all my money to go out and get a MacBook Pro, but with the launch of the new iMac, I'm somewhat worried that they might be updating the MacBook Pro line at some point before the end of the year. I should have enough to buy the MacBook Pro in just a couple of weeks, so I'm wondering, is it worth it to go out and buy it as soon as I can afford it, or should I hold off until the launch of Leopard (or some other point in the future)?

Thanks for any advice!

Just like what damesj said, I also expect something big for the MacBook Pro and for that reason am waiting for the next update. I really want one now but I know that I'll be kicking myself all over the place for the compulsive buy later on.

If you simply can't wait, then at least wait for the launch of Leopard.

That web site says to buy it, as it was recently updated. But I suppose you're right and I should wait a little while. Probably better to save up more money so I can get a Cinema Display and AppleCare at the same time. Thanks, everyone!

Trust me, you don't want to get caught in the "i'm going to wait until the next update" dilema. It will never end...I can guarantee that. The current Macbook Pro's have plenty of power. I honestly think it will be a light re-design of the case....probably 70% will stilll look the same come January. It is almost certain that they wont update the pro line this year...because they just did 2 months ago. Come January, the MBP's will probably be fitted with Penryn processors...thats probably it, and maybe a Blu-Ray option...but I doubt that.

If you want a Macbook Pro, just get one now. I did, and I'm more than happy.

Like it was already said though, I'd say wait till Leopard, or at least near enough to release to get a coupon for the upgrade. It'll save you a hundred bucks, because gawd knows you'll be upgrading to leo when it comes out.

Also, during that time there might be a speed bump or other minor adjustment that'll end up giving you a little more for your money.

I agree with EFI. Waiting for a potential update will never end. No matter when you buy, there will be an update within months, so why wait if you want one now? The only time it makes sense to wait is if you know there's a product announcement coming very soon. For example since everyone knew about the announcement this week (not necessarily what was going to be released, but that there would be something), waiting a short time made sense. Actually, I think your thinking is backwards. Since they just had a new product announement and didn't update the MacBook Pros, they probably won't have more hardware updates too soon (unless it's something not worthy of an announcement like increasing the RAM in the Mac Pros to at least match the portables!). Also, even if you do wait until the next update, what if it's a completely new design? Half the people will say "don't buy a first revision. Wait for them to update it and work out the bugs."

...completely new design? Half the people will say "don't buy a first revision. Wait for them to update it and work out the bugs."

Exactly what I am thinking. Remember folks, when it comes to computer hardware, either way your screwed. And as sarabau said...if they bring up something about cleaning out the initial bugs...good luck waiting, because that will be another 4-5 months.

My new Macbook Pro's smaller 85W power adapter just failed a week ago. I had to go to an Apple store and get the older 85W adapter, which is much more stable, and has been in much worse testings and real use. So far its holding up fantastic. What does this mean? It means that Apple still has a few months (next year) until they will get a new stabilized MBP rolling because there are still small kinks that need to be ironed out in this rev let alone design a new one, and then work out the kinks in that. Just buy one now! you wont regret it.

The heat problem is a big issue for me, thats why I'm waiting. I am hoping that it will be fixed (or atleast improved) by the next update.

Any laptop that has a high end processor with a powerful video card....will get warm. My new MBP only gets warm when gaming. If I'm just surfing the web, or even using photoshop, the laptop is pretty cool, thanks to the aluminum. If I am using Windows under bootcamp, then the laptop gets warm just on normal operation. This is a high powered laptop, remember that. Even under extreme gaming for like 5hrs straight...the laptop stil does not feel "hot"...just really warm...especally under the left side grill.

The overheating issues that you are talking about have been resolved after the 1st rev Macbook pro itself. The previous C2D, and the current Santa Rosa C2D's are really cool.

Any laptop that has a high end processor with a powerful video card....will get warm. My new MBP only gets warm when gaming. If I'm just surfing the web, or even using photoshop, the laptop is pretty cool, thanks to the aluminum. If I am using Windows under bootcamp, then the laptop gets warm just on normal operation. This is a high powered laptop, remember that. Even under extreme gaming for like 5hrs straight...the laptop stil does not feel "hot"...just really warm...especally under the left side grill.

The overheating issues that you are talking about have been resolved after the 1st rev Macbook pro itself. The previous C2D, and the current Santa Rosa C2D's are really cool.

Really? I've heard a few complaints with the current models but I guess that its probably just their luck B) .

Guess I'll just wait for leopard then.

Really? I've heard a few complaints with the current models but I guess that its probably just their luck B) .

Guess I'll just wait for leopard then.

The people who are complaing about heat issues on the current models are probably operating their laptops at a higher ambient room temps to begin with. Naturally your laptop will also operate warmer in parallel temperatures. I can guarantee you that the current generation MBP's operate very cool...atleast mine and all the other one's that the Apple stores do atleast.

The hardware on the Macbook Pro...is not going to change even well after leopard gets here...you can count on that. The C2D Macbook Pro's are all fully 64bit capable native laptops...so that wont be an issue either. Purchasing a Macbook Pro today will be as good as getting one in another 2 months.

you can get a leopard upgrade for free from the moment apple releases leopard and you have bought AFTER the release a machine with tiger on it (asked it in the mac shop today).

But someone here said that first rev products are not so good and that you have to wait until the next revision. Are you talking about hardware problems or other problems that can be fixed with a firmwire update or a software update? Do i have to wait to buy the new imac? cauze as soon the new imac will be 'accessible' i wanted to buy it.

It's sure that the first macbook pros were very hot: a friend of mine has one and when we watch a movie it becomes extremely hot (i never gamed on that machine, i think it will explode if i do that :))

I would buy now. I just bought a Macbook Pro 17" HD 1920x1200 250gb/2gb (i'll put in 4gb myself) machine today, it should arrive next week.

They have recently speed bumped the chips, and made the price more attractive.

I think the next revision will be probably jan next year like others have said, and I think they may do some of the following things:

-no more backlit keyboard. Macbook style extended width on the 17". Which I don't want, i like the backlit.

-glossy as the only option (which I don't want, hopefully they wouldn't do this)

-catchless design, a la macbook, which would be good.

LED backlit in the 17" model.

I honestly can't think what else they might do, assuming they don't go weirdo touch panel multi-touch instead of trackpad, or anything bizarre, which i don't think they'd do, not yet.

Heat wise, it's a good idea to pop activity monitor in the dock, right click and set it to open at login, then go into Accounts in system preferences, startup, and click hide... set the dock icon in activity mon to show CPU history.

You'd be suprised how often some strage app like azureus has some weird code in it that starts eating CPU cycles for no reason, causing battery life to go down and heat to go up. These machines will run idle for normal use, and only get up there with video rendering/exporting/games/hidef movies etc. I like to keep an eye on what the CPUs doing.