My new hackintosh for less than $500

26 posts in this topic

MSI 945GM3-F LGA 775 Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $72.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Allendale 2.0GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - $126.00

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $82.99

Seagate 250GB 7200 ATA-100 OEM Hard Drive - $64.97

LITE-ON DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology - $31.99

BUFFALO WLI2-PCI-G54S IEEE 802.11b/g 32-Bit PCI Bus Wireless-G 125 High-Speed Adapter - $35.94

Total: $414.88 (without case)

the motherboard contains:

realtek hd sound - working with azalia package

lan - untested

wireless lan - working

video - intel gma950

Absolutely everything is working, running 10.4.9 via "JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2 + JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip"

"Under $500" doesnt seem very cheap considering you can build a fully functioning Hackintosh for just over $200.

It's pretty damn cheap if you want a fully functional Core2 Duo with 2 GB ram. I was thinking about purchasing a pentium D instead of the core2duo which would have significantly cut the cost, but the only available pentium D processors were openbox items.

You can also build a mac for free by just partitioning your HD and dual booting... but this is the "buying thoughts, reviews, and recommendations" topic.

please do share.

a list of newegg parts coming under $200 to make a complete hackintosh would be interesting to read over.

if you are going to slam this guys build at least back up what you are saying.

"Under $500" doesnt seem very cheap considering you can build a fully functioning Hackintosh for just over $200.

Before I get any posts telling me how stupid I am, remember that I was trying to get as close as $200 as possible. If you wanna be picky then fork out the doe for better stuff! nuff said. :o

I don't know if you are stupid or not but you better be patient.

That ~$200 computer would be so slow you would have to be incredibly patient to use it. Yes, I would double the cost and build something that doesn't hurt me.

Are the SATA and LAN supported in OSX (original combo, not the $200 build)?

built-in-ethernet is fully working. SATA is detected at boot-up. I believe it uses the via-ata kext file. I haven't had a chance to test the SATA out (I don't have an SATA HD available), but as far as I know from the HCL it works.

Hi all,

I'm from france so it wouldn't be in dollars but i made a very cheap hackintosh too. And it seems the prices are not the same in france...

Motherboard: Asrock 775i945gz 45 euros (GMA 950, alc888, ethernet, ...)

DVD reader : SAMSUNG 16/48x - OEM - Beige 17.50

Hard drive : MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus 20 80Go Serial ATA II 8 Mo 41.5 euros

RAM: GENERIQUE DIMM - 512 Mo - PC4200 - 533 MHz 16.90 euros

cpu : INTEL CELERON processeur 331 Socket775 2.66GHz L2 256Ko oem 27.90 euros

Total: 148.80 EUR = 203.130 USD... but maybe you can't find the same parts in the us...(ooops it's more than 200 dollards...sorry)

I made it for my mum, she really was fed up with windows... and she seems to be happy with it and it's almost compatible (only tho channels audio out, no mic... i don't care).

It's not the fastest mac in the world, but it's really really faster than my old 1,5ghz G4...

alright. I don't know why its not showing up. I tried to fix it.

For near $200 Hackintosh:

Intel Celeron D 347 Cedar Mill 3.06GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80552347 - Retail $49.99 (Yes I know this isn't the best processor, but this is a $200 computer)

CORSAIR ValueSelect 256MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Desktop Memory Model VS256MB533D2 - Retail $29.98 for 2

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM $41.99

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-08 - Retail $17.99

MSI MBOX 945GM3-F Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 Intel 945G Barebone - Retail $99.99 ($72 for motherboard by itself, so think about it, CASE PSU and MOBO for 1 cent less than $100! MOBO for $72.99 makes case + PSU $28. Also thanks to PCharles25 for recommending the MOBO)

Total = $239.94. (Ok not under $200, but pretty darn close. Can anyone out there find a better deal than this?)

Before I get any posts telling me how stupid I am, remember that I was trying to get as close as $200 as possible. If you wanna be picky then fork out the doe for better stuff! nuff said. ;)

i might buy this lol

I just ordered the same system. Although I got the specs from an older youtube video. When you say that SATA works does this mean I will not have to use the VM trick to install but will be able to install directly to a SATA hard drive? My parts should be in by Thursday or Friday at the latest. I will post back with my results if no one knows the answser to the SATA questions.

Thanks

T

If you want to be stuck with single core.

Pentium D 940

G-Skill 1gb DDR2 667mhz RAM

MSI Neo-F P965

WD250gb SATA-I HDD

GeForce FX5200 PCI 128mb

my entire system to build was less than $250. i use onboard sound in OS X, i only needed drivers for ethernet and sound, my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 doesn't work in OSx86 so i don't count that. case and optical drives are given as i have many lying around [like most other people].

if you really want to make your mark, buy open box...theres nothing wrong with it, my motherboard was open box, only the RAM and CPU were brand new orders.

I just ordered the same system. Although I got the specs from an older youtube video. When you say that SATA works does this mean I will not have to use the VM trick to install but will be able to install directly to a SATA hard drive? My parts should be in by Thursday or Friday at the latest. I will post back with my results if no one knows the answser to the SATA questions.

Thanks

T

Yes, i tried to install jas 10.4.8 on IDE and on sata, you don't have to use vmware or anything else, just put your cd in, wait for it to launch, launch diskutil choose your HD (sata or ide, everything is listed) make the partitions you want and install, that's all. (be sure you choose the GMA950 and 10.4.4 loginwindow pachages)

You also will need this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=6740 for audio and this : http://www.necnet.de/krass.man/Installers/...xx_1.02.pkg.zip fot ethernet support. It's easier to install than XP...

By the way if you need 10.4.10 you can also install the update from Koolkal it's working perfectly, but you'll also need to choose the GMA950 and 10.4.4 loginwindow. If it doesn't work for your video card the first time, try to repair permissions and maybe install the update a second time, it worked for me...

Yes, i tried to install jas 10.4.8 on IDE and on sata, you don't have to use vmware or anything else, just put your cd in, wait for it to launch, launch diskutil choose your HD (sata or ide, everything is listed) make the partitions you want and install, that's all. (be sure you choose the GMA950 and 10.4.4 loginwindow pachages)

You also will need this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=6740 for audio and this : http://www.necnet.de/krass.man/Installers/...xx_1.02.pkg.zip fot ethernet support. It's easier to install than XP...

By the way if you need 10.4.10 you can also install the update from Koolkal it's working perfectly, but you'll also need to choose the GMA950 and 10.4.4 loginwindow. If it doesn't work for your video card the first time, try to repair permissions and maybe install the update a second time, it worked for me...

I used uphuck 10.4.9 i4 r3 and I did not need to select the loginwindow option. It installed in less than 5min and all worked out of the box. However I did have to go back and add the SMBios for CS3 to work. Other than that there were no other drivers or permissions to fix. SATA did work out of the box as well. So far I am really pleased. CPU is at 30C temp right now and sleep works as well. No Complaints and a good choice for inexpensive components. I will need to locate the Koolkal update however at this point I am not sure why I would need it. If it ain't broke .....

T

Hi,

What do you use to read the temps?

With my core2duo, i get 60C, but i've heard it's due to wrong temps readings...

I did not need smbios to make cs3 to work but if you needed it...

Actually the 89 dollar Micro ATX cas has a temp display on the front with a probe that gets inserted into the CPU heatsink. It should be fairly accurate. I have not checked it against the built in temp monitor. I will try and do that today. I think I know why you need the loginmanager patch. I never thought about it but I never get a login screen. Today it boots directly into the desktop which is fine but I may go back and add the fix if I can figure out how without breaking it.

T

Today it boots directly into the desktop which is fine but I may go back and add the fix if I can figure out how without breaking it.

T

I'm not sure if the loginwindow does this job (having the login screen, i think it's for the about this mac dialog) but if you want to install it i suggest you to download the koolkal's 10.4.10 update and just explore the package by right clicking/show package contents till you find the 10.4.4 loginwindow package, just copy it anywhere and launch it, i think this is unable to break you install. You may also find it somewhere on the forums.

And if you want a login window, you just have to disable automatic login in system preferences pannel /users/your user. You can also add a new user it will do the job too.

For the temperatures, can you try the temperature monitor frome here: http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html ? It's a great app that has 0SX86 support to read temps. But maybe you don't have a core2duo...

Anyway if you get a huge difference just tell me, yesterday night i got 80°C a full usage and i got a little scared...

I'm not sure if the loginwindow does this job (having the login screen, i think it's for the about this mac dialog) but if you want to install it i suggest you to download the koolkal's 10.4.10 update and just explore the package by right clicking/show package contents till you find the 10.4.4 loginwindow package, just copy it anywhere and launch it, i think this is unable to break you install. You may also find it somewhere on the forums.

And if you want a login window, you just have to disable automatic login in system preferences pannel /users/your user. You can also add a new user it will do the job too.

For the temperatures, can you try the temperature monitor frome here: http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html ? It's a great app that has 0SX86 support to read temps. But maybe you don't have a core2duo...

Anyway if you get a huge difference just tell me, yesterday night i got 80°C a full usage and i got a little scared...

Sorry for the late reply. I just installed the Temp Monitor and it installed an additional driver. After that it did pick up the sensors for not only the processor but also the disk drive. I am running a C2D E4400 and it is at about 35C right now. The front display on the case with the temp probe stuffed in the Heatsink is reporting 26.9C that is the lowest I have seen it yet. however it is pulled away from the wall and I do keep the house at about 73F so that could have something to do with it as well.

HTH

T

Waou it's an extremely low temp... mine is a E4300 and is much more hot... You may have a really good heatsink and its fan spinning at maximum speed... i wanted a very quiet mac so i did put some resistors on all the fans, maybe that's the reason...

ECS P4M800PRO-ML/M2/M3 V/S/L ...P2180 =$47.39

Intel Celeron 420 (1.6G) 800fsb 512kb ...P1920 =$41.73

Lite-On 20x LH-20A1H lightscribe ...P1720 =$37.39

Corsair 1GB 533 / 667 ddr2 ...P1870 =$40.65

80gb Hitachi 7200 ...P2030 =$44.13

Dynamo 400w Twin Fan ...P940 =$20.43

-----

Total $231.72

Foreign Exchange rate $1 : P46

I used uphuck 10.4.9 i4 r3 and I did not need to select the loginwindow option. It installed in less than 5min and all worked out of the box. However I did have to go back and add the SMBios for CS3 to work. Other than that there were no other drivers or permissions to fix. SATA did work out of the box as well. So far I am really pleased. CPU is at 30C temp right now and sleep works as well. No Complaints and a good choice for inexpensive components. I will need to locate the Koolkal update however at this point I am not sure why I would need it. If it ain't broke .....

T

So what options DID you use? I've tried 5 times now to install 10.4.9 using the uphuck release onto a 945GM3 and it refuses to run. Sometimes I get kernel panic on bootup ("You need to restart your system"), and others, I get an infinite loop when it tries to load after the blue screen.

So what options DID you use? I've tried 5 times now to install 10.4.9 using the uphuck release onto a 945GM3 and it refuses to run. Sometimes I get kernel panic on bootup ("You need to restart your system"), and others, I get an infinite loop when it tries to load after the blue screen.

I think you just don't have the good bios setting i had the same and you have to enable speedstep and disable something like "maximum cpu value limit" idon't remember well since i'm at work right now.

• 2 months later...