Questions for a Guru

45 posts in this topic

The ioreg command gives me the following information:

| | | +-o pci14e4,4311@0 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 7>

| | | "name" = "pci14e4,4311"

| | | "IOName" = "pci14e4,4311"

| | | "compatible" = <"pci103c,1375","pci14e4,4311","pciclass,028000">

If it is matched, registered and active... Why doesn't it work? No AirPort icon, no info on System Profiler... It must be a extension that doesn't work...

The kexts that i used were IO8211Family.kext, IOACPIFamily.kext, IOI2CFamily.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
would one of you guys who has these kexts please zip 'em up and attach them to your next posting?

Thank you :)

Also, you guys might want to check by here for some different kind of information ..

The ioreg command gives me the following information:

| | | +-o pci14e4,4311@0 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 7>

| | | "name" = "pci14e4,4311"

| | | "IOName" = "pci14e4,4311"

| | | "compatible" = <"pci103c,1375","pci14e4,4311","pciclass,028000">

If it is matched, registered and active... Why doesn't it work? No AirPort icon, no info on System Profiler... It must be a extension that doesn't work...

My ethernet & wireless device also listed/detected when I run ioreg. This mean PCI-express bus is actualy ok, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all-

I am in the same boat. I got an acer 3680 that came with a broadcom4311 mini pci card. I took the airport card out of my mac mini and put it in the acer (Atheros) expecting it to be an easier way to go. This problem is annoying and seems to be prevalant. I hope some one with more skill knowledge than me can get a fix for this.

I tired JAS .7 and uphuck's v1.4i

Tried the en 0/1 and 10.4.5 tricks.

Really stuck at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here but with a Toshiba U300-NS1.

I tried 4 different OSX versions and 2 different wireless cards: Atheros 5007EG that came with the laptop and genuine Apple Airport Extreme Card. Both are working in Windows Vista. I'm waiting for a Dell 1490 but I know it won't work, pretty sure it's the Mini PCI-E bus the problem.

darthmac, look at my posting #31 and follow the link provided there, that might be the reason, but till now there is no solution.

Thanks I'm following the same discussion :D

I don't know where or how to find that Toshiba BIOS image but I guess I'll understand when there's more development. Is there a way I can help? Will talk to you there.

• 2 weeks later...
Could you be a little more precise...

How does the switch thing (assuming you mean taping over pins) relate to en2?

What exactly did you do with those kexts?

it was a software issue. i had to go into terminal and switch a bunch of stuff together...but that was for my hp dv1000.

my HP wouldn't even let me install a 4311 card w/o giving me a "104-Unsupported" bioslock

i had to do this go to post 8 to even get my card working in the first place.

what is your hardware?

maybe i'm misunderstanding the problem.

it was a software issue. i had to go into terminal and switch a bunch of stuff together...but that was for my hp dv1000.

my HP wouldn't even let me install a 4311 card w/o giving me a "104-Unsupported" bioslock

i had to do this go to post 8 to even get my card working in the first place.

what is your hardware?

maybe i'm misunderstanding the problem.

that is interesting, i bought a atheros mini pci-e adapter for my compaq c500 and tried to circumvent the 104 unsupported issue but had no luck (except screwing the bios), what sort of problem did you have with the inbuilt wifi adapter that came with your hp , i ask coz we have been thinking all this time its a pci-e bus issue and not a card issue per say, since the 4311 which we have been having problem with is supported by the airport driver

Hello everyone, i have a broadcom 4311(got off ebay works in windows),

and a intel 3945abg(again works in windows) but nither seem to power on in osx, but you already knew that :(.

My laptop is a acer aspire 5570. and would like to help anyway i could.

you went by any chance loking at a biso hack to get this card to power

on in osx because i don't want to risk my baby just for osx goodness lol.

[wasent referring o the error 104]

ps: unfortunately i cant code yet, although once i get to collage i plan to take courses for it, to bad i cant go forward in time then come back and help that way ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

i updated my c500 laptop with ToH leo and its still the same , airport doesnt detect it, I wish we can somehow fix this, I am programmer but have never messed around with any OSX development before, for this issue I probably need to poke around with ACPI since it looks like the pci-e bus isnt getting powered up correctly, can someone help me get started with this, I have a ADC login so getting access to the source code shouldn't be a problem

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The problem is with the c500 pci-express port i picked up a supported dell 1390 card flashed the sprom so i wouldnt get the unsupported error message....card works in windows just fine.....

the problem is the card is detected in OSX DCPIManager i think it is shows the card, yet wont turn it on. i never messed with drivers maybe the b43-fwcutter for linux has some sort of kickstart that is needed to power up the card

• 1 month later...

it's showing up as an ethernet interface rather than as an airport, am I correct? And therefore there is no way to associate it with an access point? If this is the case, it might help to do what I had to do with my desktop PCI Broadcom wireless card. I simply went to Network Preferences, clicked the + and added an airport connection, since I had a compatible board it showed up. Then, I manually deleted the Ethernet connection (en0) that was associated with it prior. Works fine, never loses it's IP, always great speed, and haven't had to reassociate since the day I installed it.