Google pulls a Microsoftian approach

8 posts in this topic

In a Microsoftian move Google has unleashed a set of demands to the FCC or face not getting 4.6 BILLION dollars in a wireless spectrum auction. Yes, that is BILLION with a b.

While the demands are for things like being able to use a phone on any provider, it still results in a Microsoftian move of withholding money until their demands are met.

NOT bidding in an auction isn't really a threat.. I'm sure the other bidders would be going very high indeed anyway, and please bear in mind that the 'demands' set in place by Google are pretty much what the FCC has publicly stated is neccessary for the 700MHz spectrum anyway.

This is like google saying 'we're only interested in buying this product if it's exactly as the people selling it say it is'.

Which is fair enough, I reckon.

In a Microsoftian move Google has unleashed a set of demands to the FCC or face not getting 4.6 BILLION dollars in a wireless spectrum auction. Yes, that is BILLION with a b.

While the demands are for things like being able to use a phone on any provider, it still results in a Microsoftian move of withholding money until their demands are met.

No, it really doesn't. Did you even read the article?

GOOD FOR GOOGLE! I think a kick in the ASS to the FCC and cell carriers is needed. "Oh, you can't use that phone there!" "Oh you can't do that!". F*** that! I am tired of that {censored} and I think people need to get customers based on service and features, not "We have this phone and we let you do this". Internet access, even among dial up companies, are about service and what they can offer you extra, NOT the way cell companies do it. Bravo Google. Bravo!

I'm usually against government control, but unbridled corporate control is even worse. I don't get how anyone can think Google's proposal is a bad idea.

I mean, right now, the telecommunication companies want what amounts to a total control of our infrastructure. They already have this with cell phones. A cell phone is a very desirable thing, just for its basic functionality. And they use that to lock you into THEIR overpriced services and confusing plans. They have in the past done incredibly stupid things like charging three dollars for a 200X400 wallpaper or a ringtone. And what's more, you couldn't cut up your own picture and put it on there. Granted, they've backed off of that to some degree, but still... When you buy a cellphone now, it's almost like you're renting it from the company. Most of the time, if you want to switch service providers, it's easier to just buy a new phone than to try and convert your old one. They're making incredible profits.

Infrastructure amounts to a natural monopoly. Anything you can do to reign them in is fine by me.

And it's not because I'm anti-business or anything... it's just that these entities are so huge now. They have undue power.

GOOD FOR GOOGLE! I think a kick in the ASS to the FCC and cell carriers is needed. "Oh, you can't use that phone there!" "Oh you can't do that!". F*** that! I am tired of that {censored} and I think people need to get customers based on service and features, not "We have this phone and we let you do this". Internet access, even among dial up companies, are about service and what they can offer you extra, NOT the way cell companies do it. Bravo Google. Bravo!

Yeah! I think every phone should be unlocked if you wan't it that way. I wish the iPhone was unlocked so I could use it on verizon's network.

Yeah! I think every phone should be unlocked if you wan't it that way. I wish the iPhone was unlocked so I could use it on verizon's network.

do you want verisons crappy "custom" OS on there with no sync-age? if it was released to verison, they would defintely destroy the whole purpose of the iphone