NIC 'Bonding' or 'Teaming' in Mac OS

12 posts in this topic

Is this possible? Its possible in windows throught Wingate. Is this possible in Mac OS ?

Thanks in advance, im trying to bond 2 internet connections. And i do have 2 NIC working.

I've never tried it myself, but I think you can do it in the Networking Preferences by creating a new aggregate device that uses the two NICs. I'm not on a Mac right now so I can't check (Windows at work :))

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested to know how the aggregation works in osx. I would like to link 4 ports together so I can get +200MByte/sec transfers on single afp file transfers, IE edit uncompressed HD video. Anyone got a clue?

• 8 months later...

I've been working on this recently, it pretty simple if you have the correct hardware, if your switch doesn't support 802.3ad (LACP) then don't bother reading any more.

You obviously need at least 2 NICS in the MAC Server/Workstation, in Network Preferences select "NEW" give the connection a name and then select "Aggregation" from the drop down menu. Select the NICS you want to team up and then setup the IP configuration as required.

The next part is a little more complex depending on your switch. You are looking to do one of the following with the ports that your NICS you have teamed are connected to on your switch:

Grouping, EtherChannel, Partner...

These are the various namings for this I've com across...

Hope this helps.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I am wondering if anyone has yet attempted this. Actually found this thread while googling how to bond my two nics. In my home environment this could be a real benefit to me.

I have already attempted to create a bond-nic. It SEEMS to work, even grabbing a fresh IP address but when I actually try to make an outbound connection my traffic seems to go nowhere.

• 10 months later...

My motivation for wanting this isn't bandwidth: I don't want to lose my ssh connections, etc., every time I decide to plug or unplug an ethernet cable on my macbook, wherre I still have a perfectly good wireless connection. It should in principle be possible to have my programs talk to a "virtual" bonded interface and let the physical hardware connect to whatever's available.

• 3 months later...

can you bond or team ethernet interfaces in Mac OS X? Yes, but as a previous poster said you need a switch that supports it.

can it increase your afp transfers? No, apparently afp will only use one interface even if they are bonded

Can I use 2 internet connections on a Mac at the same time? yes, but unless you run router software, or can use the command line you won't have much control.

If you want to use 2 internet connections simultaneously, get a Netgear fvs336g or Linksys equivalent. This will give you fast downloads, and reasonable control over what goes where.

want fast video transfers over ethernet? use iscsi and openfiler

• 5 weeks later...
Is this possible? Its possible in windows throught Wingate. Is this possible in Mac OS ?

Thanks in advance, im trying to bond 2 internet connections. And i do have 2 NIC working.

You should be able to do this with interface bonding using ifconfig in Terminal

This kind of configuration will probably require root privileges so you will need to use

sudo ifconfig

here is a link to the man page

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/D...ifconfig.8.html

• 3 months later...
My motivation for wanting this isn't bandwidth: I don't want to lose my ssh connections, etc., every time I decide to plug or unplug an ethernet cable on my macbook, wherre I still have a perfectly good wireless connection. It should in principle be possible to have my programs talk to a "virtual" bonded interface and let the physical hardware connect to whatever's available.

Unfortunately, it seems it's not possible: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...31&tstart=0

That's sad; it seems as though it should be possible to do something like this, even if it means creating some kind of software NIC and not relying on 802.3 bonding per se.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...