Install LED on older LCD Macbook Pro

9 posts in this topic

Is it possible to install the newer LED screen on an older Macbook Pro? My current screen has some water discoloration and I was thinking of replacing it. I noticed an online vender was selling the LED screens for the newer MBPs pretty cheap. Are the hookups for the screen the same? Would it work with the X1600?

They don't have LED screens. They have LED backlights.

Hes right. The point of the MBP's using LEDs was to add battery life by using less energy. From what I've read the difference isnt that great. According to Apple its 30 min, which if was 100% would be awesome!

But it *is* Apple we're talking about. It's not like their marketing team exaggerates everything and tries to pretend they invented the wheel at every turn. Apple's design team is amazing, I don't know how they stand Marketing running their mouths about how everything Apple makes is the best thing since sliced bread.

Hes right. The point of the MBP's using LEDs was to add battery life by using less energy. From what I've read the difference isnt that great. According to Apple its 30 min, which if was 100% would be awesome!

30 min is almost a 20% increase if you consider the average battery life for the old models is somewhere around 2.5-3 hours. I personally can't remember the last time a manufacturer added a 20% increase in running time to a laptop while upgrading the speed and keeping the battery the same size. As for adding a LED backlight to old Macbook Pro, I personally don't see why you couldn't, I know the LED backlights are smaller, the only issue one might run into is a power supply or connector problem, but hey if you want to find out for the rest of us, more power to you.

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT: Took some unimportant text away, I didn't read well enough :censored2:

If I were you I'd use this MBP of yours for a few more years to come and buy a new one when it gets too old for you. There will always be newer things you want, just try to be patient. I know it's hard though :P