My hackintosh feels nicer than my Macintosh

11 posts in this topic

Recently I've been hired on by Minacs, which is a contracted company by Apple. So, we're considered "Apple employees", even though we aren't directly hired by Apple. (So I get to see all the internal info Apple posts on their intranet, including a crapload of iPhone info, exploding Mac Book Pros, etc.)

We all have been given a Mac Mini to work with (and a roaming profile if we ever changed stations), and so far, I'm just not feeling OS X on these Mac minis. It doesn't feel as smooth, or as quick.

Then again, these Mac Minis are only 1.67ghz core duos with a CRT monitor, where as my hackintosh is a 2.13ghz core2duo with an LCD display.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts.

i hear you CLiDE

A friend of mine has a 1.83 mac mini dual core and while its nice and quiet and performs exactly what you'd expect it to, it seems so slow. Shared video and the slower laptop drive are what does it. For me I have just put my system into a gorgeous - GORGEOUS thermaltake lanbox lite system, and for roughly the same price as his mini I've got a machine that rox.. intel 945 gcl, 2 gig ddr2-800, dual layer burner (2 of em) and a lot of speedy hd space. the case is bigger- about 2x the volume of my shuttle - but its construction is fantastic and i love it.

osx is so snappy and reacts so well on it, plus he's got an old crt, and i just got myself a 22" widescreen :)

but dollar for dollar - what i built slaps his mini around, even tho it is 1/8th the size of the lanbox

My hackintosh feels nicer than my Macintosh, LOL, read on...

I don't doubt that.

However, the problems are:

1)Full hardware support: you'll never achieve that.

2)You aren't supported by Apple.

3)But what is worse, you must always wait for others to hack the updates (unless of course you can do it yourself).

Anyway, Mac minis are a really bad choice: Apple has virtually abandoned them.

Anyway, Mac minis are a really bad choice: Apple has virtually abandoned them.

That's too bad, too. I'd really love to have a mini to play with (other than the one I already have that is). I was also thinking of buying one for my mom to replace her iMac, but I was waiting for an update.

Hi CLiDE:

I had the same impression of the Mac Mini's went to a local Apple Store. The Mac Mini's I had used in the past seemed a bit sluggish (especially the Core Solo). My OSx86 PC compared to Mac Mini Core Solo when using XBench. The Mac Mini just "seemed" slower (I know that's not scientific).

Then I got to thinking... The first Mac Mini's only had 512MB so this could make the Mini "seem" slower. The other thing is that Apple loads its computers with a lot of preloaded software. The Mac Mini (or any other Mac) might run faster doing native install of Mac OS X.

What do you think?

Hi Alessandro:

I had made the same assumption when looking at the updates that Apple has made for Mac Mini (not many). From talking with people at the Apple Store, I had the feeling that Apple sells more iMac's and even more MacBook's and MacBook Pro's.

Hi Sarahbau:

Looks like you have a very nice setup there with your modded (nice artwork) Mac Mini hooked to large HDTV Flat Panel TV. I would like to do something similar with my OSx86 PC and (yet to buy) HDTV Flat Panel.

Did you have any trouble getting the Mac Mini to recognize the correct resolution for the TV? (What resolution did you end up using?)

--danyel :D

Hi Sarahbau:

Looks like you have a very nice setup there with your modded (nice artwork) Mac Mini hooked to large HDTV Flat Panel TV. I would like to do something similar with my OSx86 PC and (yet to buy) HDTV Flat Panel.

Did you have any trouble getting the Mac Mini to recognize the correct resolution for the TV? (What resolution did you end up using?)

--danyel :happymac:

Thanks :) It's actually quite an old setup. I've had the TV and storage, and the interface I made for about 3.5 years now (my "HTMac" made me somewhat famous for a while back in 2004. lol - but back then it was a dual G4). I didn't make the Mini though - I bought it on ebay as it is. Anyway, there was no trouble getting the mini to recognize the correct resolution (1280x720), but this was intentional. Before buying the TV, I took my PowerBook to A/V stores and connected it to various TVs to check resolution, picture quality, etc. There were many TVs that would only do 1024x768 when connected (but would do higher with third party software).

My grandma runs faster than a Mac Mini.

I don't see why you'd be surprised. It's like being shocked that a Lamborghini can outrun a VW Beetle. As long as you have a computer that has a clockspeed higher than 2Ghz and decent ram, it's probably hands-down better than a Mini.

Of course, if I were to compare my hackintosh system to an iMac, it'd probably be somewhat relatively slower. The higher-end Macs are among some of the best performing computers on the market.

You outsource people for a living. Heh, your company's site tried to make a friendly spinoff on it. :thumbsup_anim: