Which bootloader do you use ?

Zorro56

22 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I'd like to know the differentes bootloaders used by the community, especially in Dualboot cases.

So please give me the name of your bootloader, tell me why you've chosen this one and not another one, ...

Your answers are useful, I'm sure it will help other members to make their configuration as good as possible, and mine by the way.

Good night.

Presently, the darwin bootloader suffices for me for my main system: simple and efficient.

On another system (also with osx), it's grub, also simple and efficient.

On some occasions, for testing/experimenting/development purposes, I'll go with vista's bootloader, acronis os selector, etc.

For a simple dual boot, no need to go with the big guns, darwin's bl or grub is quite enough.

Go GRUB

I use it to triple boot Windows, Ubuntu, and OSx86. It works great.

Best part of all. You can install it to a floppy disk, cd-r, dvd-r, usb drive, or a partition on a hard drive. Meaning you do not have to destroy the Windows MBR or Darwin.

Read the manual before use though.

Xp bootloader (NTLDR) which links to Darwin bootloader and GRUB. Actually mine is kind of complicated (purposely):

NTLDR -> XP Pro

-> Darwin -> NTLDR/OSx86/GRUB(installed by PCLinuxOS)

-> GRUB (grldr, on C:\) -> NTLDR/Boot from CD

I need all these options because my laptop is BIOS password protected, and I can't boot from anything besides hdd, so I had to use custom memdisk and sbm files to boot from cd. Two grubs lol :thumbsup_anim:

Is there a way to remove Darwin boot loader? It's a bit to dedicated for me, I am more easy with the Acronis OS Selector, because a few other people also use the computer and I don't them to deal with a whole new OS just because I happen to like playing around with it.

Is there a way to remove Darwin boot loader? It's a bit to dedicated for me, I am more easy with the Acronis OS Selector
Not really: all AOSS (Acronis OS Selector) does is to pass control to the darwin bootloader when selecting osx; and in general, any bootloader just passes control to another bootloader in a multiboot.

But I know what you mean: you just don't want to see the menu of the darwin bootloader, you want it to boot osx right away when you select osx in AOSS.

1. You first have to be in the AOSS menu and go in the OSX properties, and then go to the Partitions section and make sure the OSX partition is checked as Active; if you're not sure how, see section 7.7.3 of the Disk Director manual (downloadable from the acronis site) to see an image of where this is.

2. Then, you must configure the darwin bootloader to boot osx right away: since now the osx partition will be the active one once selected by AOSS, the darwin bootloader will chose that partition as default boot, and you just have to say to it not to show the menu. To do this, read this OSx86 wiki article "Messing with the boot options", especially the "If you don't want to see the Darwin text on boot" part. After modifying the 'com.apple.boot.plist', you should now be able to get into osx right away when clicking OSX's icon in AOSS.

And for people who use GRUB instead:

1. The line makeactive can be used just before the chainloader line. See GRUB in Short in the OSx86 wiki.
  2. Then proceed to the second step above to configure the 'boot.plist' for a silent osx boot.

Boot Manager from Extended Fdisk. It's a 100% clone/copy/ripoff of the old OS/2 Boot Manager EXCEPT that it doesn't require a disk partition. It lives in the MBR. Easy to use and can boot anything. I'm using it to triple boot Vista/10.4.6/10.4.9.