Any working AMD 64 x2 systems?

15 posts in this topic

I'm planning on building a new system that will be compatible with OSx86, but want to use an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200 processor. I was wondering if there was anyone out there with a near perfect stable system working? I do realize that one of the biggest problems is SATA compatibility, but I'm willing to work around this. Audio will also not be an issue for me. I do also realize that getting a core 2 duo with an intel chipset will be much more compatible. But that is not my question, so please, no "get an intel" comments. I just personally prefer AMD because I believe they have a better cost/performance ratio than intel's. If you do have a pretty decent AMD system working, please post your hardware. Thanks a lot guys!!

Yeah, get an intel comments are nonsence. Kind of an amd fanboy myself. Love my system, slightly old. But still performs really well in terms of cpu power. And it's very stable.

I have a x2 4800 toledo with a nf4 a8n-sli and a 7600gt. Running tubgirl 10.4.9 and it all works well.

Hey! Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, I personally prefer AMD's over intel. Intel to me has that "name brand" syndrome. But hey macwanabe, SATA isn't giving you a problem with the nforce4? I've read a lot of posts saying that people have been getting data corruption or what not?? I was willing to work around it, but if it works, then great!! And headrush, what kind of mobo do you use? I'll check out the other hardware you guys have posted. Thanks again!

hey! i too have an AMD system, with an amd 4200+ AM2. ive installed it but it has never been able to boot :poster_oops:. i have a JaS dvd image with ppfv1 and 2 but it has problems booting ;). thought i would give u a system that doesnt work lol. any help with gettin mine working? i have an asus m2n-sli deluxe.

Hey! Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, I personally prefer AMD's over intel. Intel to me has that "name brand" syndrome. But hey macwanabe, SATA isn't giving you a problem with the nforce4? I've read a lot of posts saying that people have been getting data corruption or what not?? I was willing to work around it, but if it works, then great!! And headrush, what kind of mobo do you use? I'll check out the other hardware you guys have posted. Thanks again!

The two motherboards I have are:

• MSI K8T Neo2-FIR K8T800 Pro
  • ECS K8T890-A ATX S939 K8T890 DDR AGP PCI-E16 SATA RAID Sound LAN Motherboard

You'll read reviews about the second that are less than flattering, but its because it is a dual AGP/PCI Express video system and the AGP actually acts like a PCI video card.

Don't buy it for that, but if you are using a PCI-Express video card it is fine. This is also the reason you can find this board extremely cheap. People think it is garbage because of the AGP fiasco, but everything runs perfect as an PCI-E system.

I'm planning on building a new system that will be compatible with OSx86, but want to use an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200 processor. I was wondering if there was anyone out there with a near perfect stable system working? I do realize that one of the biggest problems is SATA compatibility, but I'm willing to work around this. Audio will also not be an issue for me. I do also realize that getting a core 2 duo with an intel chipset will be much more compatible. But that is not my question, so please, no "get an intel" comments. I just personally prefer AMD because I believe they have a better cost/performance ratio than intel's. If you do have a pretty decent AMD system working, please post your hardware. Thanks a lot guys!!

Hello! I do have a X2 system. It's the 3800+ S939, and i'm getting the OS, but i don't even know if it will work. For waht i've read, my mobo is fully functional with the OS. But I do have the dual boot issue...if you can, help me. Please visit this LINK.

Thanks