Auto-updating Hackintosh Deal of the Day web page

56 posts in this topic

Doesn't look like this page is working anymore :D

The page is working. My router just sucks. It likes to stop routing stuff on port 80 (port 22 still works just fine though). I'll reset it now.

The page is working. My router just sucks. It likes to stop routing stuff on port 80 (port 22 still works just fine though). I'll reset it now.

...down again... :(

Working again :)

Maybe you should try a new router? :) You can get them free after rebate nowadays.

Or, another port like 8080 ?

Yeah. I will get a router eventually. I'm waiting until I have something more substantial to get from NewEgg though so I'm not paying $6 for shipping on a $15 router. lol. I know I could just buy one in the store, but I'm too lazy. It's actually mapping port 5505 to port 80, which it used to do just fine. For some reason it recently started acting weird though. I'd just host it on my NCSU space, but I think they might consider it advertising, which isn't allowed.

Here is one for $9 at Circuit City:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messagevie...threadid=746276

You could also try free hosting via http://pages.google.com

Circuit City fixed their price. It now shows $29.99 after $30 rebate. One problem with hosting it anywhere but my computer means I have to update my program to connect to an ftp server to upload the page rather than just save it in my /Library/WebServer/Documents directory. lol

Circuit City fixed their price. It now shows $29.99 after $30 rebate. One problem with hosting it anywhere but my computer means I have to update my program to connect to an ftp server to upload the page rather than just save it in my /Library/WebServer/Documents directory. lol

This is another deal:

newegg has the D-Link DES-1105 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch (5 x RJ45, 2K MAC Address Table, 64KB Buffer Memory) for a low $7.99 after rebate. Free 3 Business Day Shipping. Tax in CA, NJ, TN, PR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16833127085

Thanks for your web page. I put together a system almost like the work hackintosh one I saw on there one day. Would this system be almost certain to run OSX fine with all the hardware working? Thanks for any feedback:

ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with 14X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black PATA Model DRW-1814BL - OEM

APEVIA X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100186L Radeon X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 VIVO HDCP Video Card - Retail

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-650-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 650W Power Supply - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL6D-4GBMQ - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

Any suggestions on changing anything? Thanks again!

I'm not going to make any guarantees, because I don't want anyone to blame me if it doesn't work for some reason, but everything on the list should work fine. Just make sure you read the guides on this forum, as there are certain quirks about some components (like only either orange or purple SATA ports on the GA-965P-DS3 work. I can't remember which). If you are patient though, once you get that up, it will be an awesome system. I'm thinking about upgrading to the GA-965P-DS3 and Q6600 soon myself. :)

I'm not going to make any guarantees, because I don't want anyone to blame me if it doesn't work for some reason, but everything on the list should work fine. Just make sure you read the guides on this forum, as there are certain quirks about some components (like only either orange or purple SATA ports on the GA-965P-DS3 work. I can't remember which). If you are patient though, once you get that up, it will be an awesome system. I'm thinking about upgrading to the GA-965P-DS3 and Q6600 soon myself. :P

Thanks alot again for your great site. I have searched the forums and it does appear everything should work fine. I have installed OSX on my current system, with everything working except I cannot get my graphics card to work. I've tried all the guides on here. Windows and such "tore" when I dragged them. But otherwise, OSX seemed to run fast on what I have now, can't wait to see how it is with newer hardware.

It's back up now. Sorry for taking so long. I had an exam and a project due, so those took priority. Also, my other project of getting a private WoW server running in OS X got in the way a bit. lol (already have one running in VMWare).

Oh yeah. Something I've noticed since I created the page, that I didn't expect to happen, is all of the configurations are getting more expensive. Almost all of the components, as well as the shipping are going up. For example, when I started it, the Celeron 331 was $38 with free shipping. Then it was $40, then 42. Now it's $45. I know that's an older part though, so maybe it's just because it's no longer being made. Other parts are still going up though, and shipping on the 941BW monitor I have listed in my configuration has gone from about $6.50 to $9.50.

Overall I think most of the configs have gone up $10 to $20 in the last month or so.

Why do you need an adapter? The GA-965P-DS3 has a PATA port that can be used for two PATA drives. Despite some threads saying that PATA doesn't work on it, my boyfriend has that board, and his PATA DVD and PATA 120GB hard drives both work just fine. Well, actually his DVD sucks, but it sucked before he got the board or made the hackintosh, so that's unrelated. lol

It was working before OSX was even installed? I mean, it was hooked up to the IDE and he installed from the IDE interface?

Why do you need an adapter? The GA-965P-DS3 has a PATA port that can be used for two PATA drives. Despite some threads saying that PATA doesn't work on it, my boyfriend has that board, and his PATA DVD and PATA 120GB hard drives both work just fine. Well, actually his DVD sucks, but it sucked before he got the board or made the hackintosh, so that's unrelated. lol

Yes. We installed OS X from his IDE DVD drive. Actually, we've done it three times now. We got it working, but then when trying to install Windows, Windows deleted the OS X partition without asking, so we had to install again. Then just recently, he was trying to do something and ended up breaking OS X, so I had to reinstall it again.

Short answer: Yes. It installed on PATA.

Yes. We installed OS X from his IDE DVD drive. Actually, we've done it three times now. We got it working, but then when trying to install Windows, Windows deleted the OS X partition without asking, so we had to install again. Then just recently, he was trying to do something and ended up breaking OS X, so I had to reinstall it again.

Short answer: Yes. It installed on PATA.

Thanks for the info. I'll try it this way myself. My memory won't be here till Monday, so I'll be trying to install sometime next week.

PS. What version is he installing of OSX? Does 10.4.9 uphuck install fine? or need to do 10.4.8 Jas?

I've never tried uphuck, so I can't say from experience. JaS 10.4.8 has worked fine for me, as well as for my boyfriend (we have quite different setups though). I don't plan on upgrading until 10.5.