Auto-updating Hackintosh Deal of the Day web page

56 posts in this topic

As the subject says, I've created a web page that automatically updates every day, getting the lowest priced components from NewEgg that are compatible with a Hackintosh. It figures shipping into the price, so if one hard drive costs $40 with $10 shipping, and another is $46 with free shipping, the $46 one will come up cheaper. Of course I can't guarantee that every component will be 100% compatible since it automatically gets the components. However the components that are coming up when I run it right now are all compatible.

Actual shipped price will likely be less than the total displayed, since NewEgg gives discounts on shipping rather than adding up the listed shipping prices like my program does. I can't really do that part without actually adding the items to a shopping cart though.

If I get requests, I can update it in the future to have a few different configurations rather than just the cheapest (like cheapest gaming rig or something).

Here's the page: Hackintosh Deal of the Day

is the website down?

Unfortunately my auto-updating web page is hosted on a perfectly stable computer behind an auto-dying router. It randomly decides to start blocking incoming traffic, and stays that way until I reset it (outgoing is fine, so the only way I can tell it's down is by periodically running this page, which I actually have bookmarked. lol).

ooh. It updated for the first time. lol. Cheaper case and HD now.

Can you do the same thing with high end components? I am interested in building a system with higher end pieces.

Yep. I'm working on it now. Since I originally just made it out of boredom, the original code isn't too neat, so I'm going to rewrite most of it, and instead of hard-coding the search strings into the program, I'm going to make a preference file so it can read in a few different configs that can each be easily changed without having to recompile like I do now. lol.

Anyway, I'm currently working on having these configs:

cheap.Hack: Like it is now - cheapest components

game.Hack: Mid-range components focusing on speed, overclocking, and price

work.Hack: Workstation class computer focusing on stability and power. This one's going to be the hardest, because there are so few written accounts of this type of computer (only one Xeon, one dual CPU, and one Quad Core on the HCL, etc). It's probably going to end up looking like a more expensive gaming rig though :-\

OK. It's updated. Much more organized code now. Instead of having the components hard-coded in like I originally had (which was really just to see if I could do it), it now reads a file and creates as many configurations as there are in the file, and each configuration can have as many or as few components as it wants. It also makes it so I don't have to go change the code if some new type of component comes out that's not a CPU, motherboard, video card, etc. I can just add it to the file it reads from.

http://sarahbau.webhop.org/hackintosh/hack_prices.html

I'm currently still adding stuff to the game and workstation builds, but I thought I'd put it up anyway.

Here you have my setup, is working perfect!

I build it 2 weeks ago, I bought everything at newegg.com

Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E4400 - Retail

Item #: N82E16819115014

$139.00

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Item #: N82E16813128012

$129.99

EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Item #: N82E16814130062

$109.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

Item #: N82E16820145034

$159.00

Linkworld 431-06 C.2222 Black SECC/SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail

Item #: N82E16811164061

$44.99

Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DVR-112D - OEM

Item #: N82E16827129007

$31.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250820AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Item #: N82E16822148142

$67.99

xmarcelo

post-85662-1181938847_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much. I am just now thinking about building a hackintosh as Mac still doesn't make a form I want to buy.

However, are each of the setups configured so EVERYTHING is functional? Network, audio, video etc?

Thanks again!

Thanks so much. I am just now thinking about building a hackintosh as Mac still doesn't make a form I want to buy.

However, are each of the setups configured so EVERYTHING is functional? Network, audio, video etc?

Thanks again!

As they are right now, everything does work. I just checked the HCL, and sound, network, USB, and video (for the one that has it) all work if you install the drivers for them. However, even though I designed it to try to find compatible components, I can't guarantee that what it comes up with always will be 100% compatible. Basically it's searching for certain chipsets, south-bridges, features, etc. Check the HCL before buying anything you aren't sure of. If it's not on there, you can normally search for the audio and network chipsets on the HCL and find out if those at least worked on other similar boards.

Hope this helps :hysterical:

Thanks!

1) A couple months ago there was a certain chipset and motherboard people said was the best for OSX86. Is this the 975 chipset or something?

2) Also, can I mix and match the parts on this list? Other than of course not mixing a Pentium IV motherboard with C2D

3) MAKE THIS THREAD STICKY!! It would so help newbs and be used more before people keep posting the same question

Thanks!

A couple months ago there was a certain chipset and motherboard people said was the best for OSX86. Is this the 975 chipset or something?

Also, can I mix and match the parts on this list?

I think the 945 is considered the closest to an actual Mac, since all but the Mac Pro use that chipset I believe. However it doesn't necessarily mean others won't work. The Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 is one of the most popular boards, and it so happens that my page picked it for the "work.Hack" configuration because it's on sale right now. You can mix and match most of the stuff on it, just make sure you don't mix DDR2 533 RAM with a DDR2800 motherboard or something. lol

I think the 945 is considered the closest to an actual Mac, since all but the Mac Pro use that chipset I believe. However it doesn't necessarily mean others won't work. The Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 is one of the most popular boards, and it so happens that my page picked it for the "work.Hack" configuration because it's on sale right now. You can mix and match most of the stuff on it, just make sure you don't mix DDR2 533 RAM with a DDR2800 motherboard or something. lol

Cool! Thanks

You need to make this thread sticky. It would be so helpful to others trying to build machines to have this always at the top. sort of a recommended configuration listing...

Also, the gigabyte board seems to have bad reviews on newegg btw. Specifically ethernet problems?

Cool! Thanks

You need to make this thread sticky. It would be so helpful to others trying to build machines to have this always at the top. sort of a recommended configuration listing...

Also, the gigabyte board seems to have bad reviews on newegg btw. Specifically ethernet problems?

Bad reviews? It has 4 eggs! The only comments (out of 214) that I saw that mentioned the ethernet were two people saying it didn't work with old linux kernels (but did with current ones), and one person whose ethernet was DOA. I wouldn't be scared off by a couple people out of so many giving low scores. 80% of the reviews are either 4 or 5 eggs, which is really good.

I just noticed that it is a different board now. lol. I wonder which one it brought up for you though.

Edit - The one my page was showing when I checked it was the GA-965P S3. Earlier it was the GA-965P DS3 rev 1.3. I'm looking at the GA-965P DS3 right now (not rev 1.3). All three of those boards have 4 eggs though.

I just noticed that it is a different board now. lol. I wonder which one it brought up for you though.

Edit - The one my page was showing when I checked it was the GA-965P S3. Earlier it was the GA-965P DS3 rev 1.3. I'm looking at the GA-965P DS3 right now (not rev 1.3). All three of those boards have 4 eggs though.

Does this different model effect your compatibility recommendation?

What about stickying this thread? :D

Does this different model effect your compatibility recommendation?

What about stickying this thread? :D

Yep. The GA-965P S3 looks like it does well too. From the HCL:

Tested/Working: IDE, SATA0/1(Purple), AHCI0/1 (Orange), USB1.1/2.0, GBEthernet, ALC883 Multichannel Audio (analog) - up to 7.1/Mic/Line-In.

Not Working: AHCI4/5 (Orange).

Installed with USB2.0 DVD drive, very fast, very stable.

Stickying it is fine with me if someone wants to do it, but I'm not a moderator :P