18 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Im planning to get the black MB. Im upgrading the ram to 2gb.

My question, will the MB be capable of running Vista on Dual Boot? since the vista is graphics intensive, will it be able to run smoothly? i'll be probably do a bit of photo editing and some music recording.

My brother put in the idea that it'll be slow since it the GMA950 will share processing wwith the main memory(please do correct me if im wrong) and suggested that i should get the MBP and do a bit of gaming in it.

please help!

The integrated card can handle vista, but not as well as the Ati cards and new Nvidia cards in the MB Pros. But you say you do Photo editing and music recording? Well hell man, you don't need Vista for that at all! OS X can do that just as good. What apps do you use? We can find OS X ones for you to use.

The reason im intending to have vista is i need a windows OS to do a bit of compatibility checking after doing school work and most universities use windows OS as a core system. most of the time i use my macOSX and very rarely use Windows (the fact that i dont have one in my room.hehehe). The apps that i usually use is PS for photo editing on the mac and probably garage band on the Mac also.

Im all ears on your apps suggestion. :P

Will the MB be able to handle light/heavy photo editing with a 2gb ram? how about music recording wise?

Sound Studio is nice to get audio, then cut/trim/etc etc it to mp3. I use that analyze audio evidence and such and can see the audio, though Garageband is great to.

On the Windows thing, why not run XP? Less strain on the laptop not running stupid Aero and a more stable OS right now. Plus you say the college is on windows. Ok, but if you don't like it what is the compatibility you need with their stuff? I can go to share folders/servers from OS X to Windows network here at work, so if it is file sharing, Windows isn't needed if it is a network situation.

On handling the photos and music, definately. Get a new MB with Core 2 Duo and 2 gigs ram and you will be flying.

EDIT: I went to the store just now, I attached a MB configured with a 120 gig hard drive and 2 gigs ram. I attached the screen shot, unless you need a Super Drive this should be great for you. Plenty of space to dual boot and such.

post-21301-1181219601_thumb.jpg

The reason of running windows is because i sometimes do database ie Access which is not available on a Mac. except if there are other app substitutes? i tried OpenOffice and it didnt work quite well because most of the functions are missing. I previously had a problem with doing my presentation and it did not came out the way i made it on my Mac. Luckily i had a back up.

Cool. I just might run Xp for dual boot.

Thanx for the attachment. :mellow:

The Macbook with 2Gb of RAM should be excellent for Music Apps, and more than good enough for light photo editing. Gaming, however, will be a less-than-average experience in both WinXP and MacOS (for gaming, you really need a seperate GPU). Vista will run fine on the MacBook (it does on mine with only 1Gb of Ram), but why not run XP (which is faster and more compatible, anyway), or just stick with OSX (which is the fastest and best user experience, especially for graphics and music).

For light music recording, Garageband should be enough. If you want pro-quality music recording, you may want to check into Logic or Digital Performer (both are Universal and GREAT apps). I used to use WinXP for music, but have completely ditched it due to all the problems I was experiencing and am now MUCH happier and productive (plus, most music apps are now UBs!) I've got a Macbook 2ghz Core-Duo with 1Gb RAM (factory config) and a hackintosh Pentium d 805 (oc to 3.3ghz) with 2Gb of Ram and both are rock-solid stable, fast, and excellent for music (and more than good enough for light photoshopping, as well)

JMHO

BTW, if you want to save a few bucks, you may want to consider upgrading the HD and RAM yourself (very easy on the MacBook) rather than CTO at the Apple Store. You can find third-party RAM for under $100.00 for 2Gbs, and a faster, bigger HD for cheaper than they charge. Their prices aren't as bad as they used to be, but easy to beat if you do some shopping around and are willing to do the install yourself.

-phiL a MeanT

True, but installing yourself voids the warranty. Thus if you want to go that route, be warned. I see you need Acces, you COULD use Parallels and run a version of Windows in OS X and not have to reboot at all and test things and stay in OS X. Then use the apps told above to do your audio and such.

True, but installing yourself voids the warranty. Thus if you want to go that route, be warned. I see you need Acces, you COULD use Parallels and run a version of Windows in OS X and not have to reboot at all and test things and stay in OS X. Then use the apps told above to do your audio and such.

No, actually it doesn't void the warranty in the MacBooks. At least the memory is considered 'user-replacable' (I know this for a fact since I had warranty service on mine after installing memory). I would have to check on the hard drive, but I believe it is also 'user-replaceable'. Not on the mac mini, however. . . installing ANYTHING in that puppy DOES void the warranty!!!

Searching the net a looking CNET forums, Hard Drive replaced DOES void the warranty, Ram does NOT. SO, I would add the hard drive from Apple you want, then upgrade you Ram at will. Never have to worry about voided warranties!

On parallels, it requires an Intel chip. Parallels is an Intel Mac Program. You install it, then in the setup you take XP, Vista etc. (what is compatible) and it installs a copy to a "Virtual Machine". When you run it, it runs Windows and since Intel chips are X86 architecture, Windows runs fine. With 2 gigs ram and Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, it will run fine. Basically it is running OS X and the Parallels is running a full copy of Windows, in a window and it is running parallel to OS X. Just get the Parallels and use your Windows install disc, should be fine and you can crank up Windows without having to shutdown/reboot.

Update: I now have the privilege to get the MBPro instead. im getting the low end of the MBPro with the standard configuration.

Question: Which display is better? Glossy or none? It says that the glossy gives deeper and richer colour, good for DVD watching.

btw, the last time i checked the apple store through the link given from the Insanely Mac News, there is an option for an LED backlit display. And now its not there though. Or am i missing something? I checked through Apple in Singapore since im in Asia.

BEFORE BUYING THE PRO READ THIS:

Unless you're a hardcore gamer or you're running Aperture, you won't notice a terrible speed difference between the MacBook and the MB Pro. The integrated graphics card isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to system performance.

The Windows thing--tons of Windows issues can be handled in OS X without the need to dual boot. Please read on:

Photo editing--iPhoto can actually handle the basics of photo editing. If you need something more powerful, GIMP is free and available for OS X just like on Windows, so there is no reason to dual boot to handle photo editing.

Music recording--Do yourself a favor and download Audacity for OS X. It's nice and pretty and free and does everything Sound Studio does. Plus, GarageBand exists if needed for this, so no need for Windows there either.

Access--I think Wine handles this, so get it (or it's Darwin counterpart, DarWine).

BEFORE BUYING THE PRO READ THIS:

Unless you're a hardcore gamer or you're running Aperture, you won't notice a terrible speed difference between the MacBook and the MB Pro. The integrated graphics card isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to system performance.

The Windows thing--tons of Windows issues can be handled in OS X without the need to dual boot. Please read on:

Photo editing--iPhoto can actually handle the basics of photo editing. If you need something more powerful, GIMP is free and available for OS X just like on Windows, so there is no reason to dual boot to handle photo editing.

Music recording--Do yourself a favor and download Audacity for OS X. It's nice and pretty and free and does everything Sound Studio does. Plus, GarageBand exists if needed for this, so no need for Windows there either.

Access--I think Wine handles this, so get it (or it's Darwin counterpart, DarWine).

Thanx for the apps suggestion. I'll be doing a bit of gaming since i'll be abroad in a few months.

Yup. I'll be doing all of the photo editing and music recording on OSX. Reason of having a dual boot is to do a bit of gaming and some database if my course requires it. And also a compatibility check like the presentation that i did as explained in my previous posts. if not, then it'll be for gaming purposes.hehe.

Anyway, can anyone explain to me the display option issue? Is the matte display the LED?

Anyway, can anyone explain to me the display option issue? Is the matte display the LED?

AFAIK the matte display is more color-correct (better for photo editing) and the glossy is as you say for blacker blacks and whiter whites. From what I've seen the glossy screens are harder to keep clean as well. I don't believe either is LED backlit, I would think they would have that listed in the specs page on Apple site however. Also they both cost the same which tells me they are not much different.

the 15" MBP is LED no matter what, iirc

i have a matte screen on mine, it's a first-rev model though. From the models in the apple store, it seems like glossy is nice, but it's a personal choice. I prefer matte, but hey, it's up to you.

AFAIK the matte display is more color-correct (better for photo editing) and the glossy is as you say for blacker blacks and whiter whites. From what I've seen the glossy screens are harder to keep clean as well. I don't believe either is LED backlit, I would think they would have that listed in the specs page on Apple site however. Also they both cost the same which tells me they are not much different.

^good point on glossy being hard to keep clean. you tend to get annoyed by the fingerprints or dust hanging around.

the 15" MBP is LED no matter what, iirc

i have a matte screen on mine, it's a first-rev model though. From the models in the apple store, it seems like glossy is nice, but it's a personal choice. I prefer matte, but hey, it's up to you.

Glossy is quite nice since it looks neater. I've been having to use matte on the iBook im using for a longtime and im quite happy. though the screen is abit dirty but im not annoyed much by it.hehehe.

btw, thank you for clarifying the LED issue. i was just wondering since they removed the option after checking into the apple store.

Question: Will I be able to use boot camp and parallel to do dual boot?