Dell Latitude D630 compatible?

76 posts in this topic

this is geekbench, xbench is little bit different..

but i had the same problem with leo not booting without dvd but its fixed now.. i dont know but i think that fdisk helped me..

you should find something with it.. i dont know it exactly but it was something like fdisk -e ... flag 2 (partition with osx).. update.. write.. you'll find it easily..

I installed the nvidia driver, but seems to freeze my computer sometimes (don't know exactly if it comes from that).

For LAN, my card seems to be recognized by leopard but i can't use it. That's the same for sound. My wifi card (Intel 4965AGN is definitively not working...

I think we will have to wait a big time before having a full functional laptop under leopard.

• 2 weeks later...
if you have the quadro video card, the 10.5.2kext/opengl/nvinject drivers it works like a charm.

my 3 problems is sound, lan , and i have to boot with the damn dvd in the drive, cant start without it, i get disk error,

Hi there,

Could someone please clarify me what means 10.5.2 kext? where do I get these kexts? Or could you point me to somewhere where I can find some guidelines?

Thanks in advance,

Gp

Hi there,

Could someone please clarify me what means 10.5.2 kext? where do I get these kexts? Or could you point me to somewhere where I can find some guidelines?

Thanks in advance,

Gp

wait few days, they're in beta version right now.. we should wait for official 10.5.2.. you'll hear about them for sure!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What problems are you looking for 10.5.2 to solve?

Video - QE/CI works fine (See post #38 in this thread)

Audio - Works with no mute (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77926)

Battery Meter - Works out of the box with Kalyway

WiFi - Works out of the box

LAN - This is about the only thing that no one has gotten working yet

About the only problem that is still an issue is having to sleep and wake up the laptop for video to work. Don't expect to see that fixed on Apple's end as it is due to the odd power management the Dell's use. If you use auto-login there is even a script out there that you can put in your "Run at login" area to sleep and wake the laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What problems are you looking for 10.5.2 to solve?

Video - QE/CI works fine (See post #38 in this thread)

Audio - Works with no mute (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77926)

Battery Meter - Works out of the box with Kalyway

WiFi - Works out of the box

LAN - This is about the only thing that no one has gotten working yet

About the only problem that is still an issue is having to sleep and wake up the laptop for video to work. Don't expect to see that fixed on Apple's end as it is due to the odd power management the Dell's use. If you use auto-login there is even a script out there that you can put in your "Run at login" area to sleep and wake the laptop.

errandwolfe, have you tried this trick?

post-155859-1205021574.jpg

Why exactly would I try the paper clip trick? My QE/CI works perfectly.

To answer Wizruzik's question, I have never bothered with a benchmark on the laptop. I don't really do any 3D gaming and the standard GUI never seems to lag so I have had no reason to.

• 3 months later...

Here's my two cents for the D630. I have tried Leo4Allv3, Kalyway 10.5.1, Kalyway 10.5.2, and iAtkos 2.0i and iAtkos is the only one I can get to boot into the installer no matter what combination of switches I try. I have also been able to use the Kalyway kernels package from the Kalyway10.5.3ComboUpdate.pkg to get a running kernel of 9.3.0...

I still cannot get the sound to work and YES wolf I looked at the thread mentioned above and tried all five of the codec dumps without success. Also, I have been able to get the X3100 graphics working using the files in Roneils post but it consistently causes lockups in the machine after approximately 5 minutes of use which will require a full reboot.

Also, interesting to note is that neither the "vanilla" or "-vanilla" boot flag works on kalyway 10.5.2 as has been suggested. Doing so results in the machine immediately looping back to the F8 prompt.

I am running the Dell D630 with BIOS A10. Thank you in advance for your help with the sound.

As a follow-up this morning I wanted to say that by NOT installing the X3100 kexts you can get a fully functioning laptop WITHOUT the video acceleration. I removed all of the kexts from Roneil's instructions and then set "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" in the kernel flag of com.apple.Boot.plist - for me this is a nice interim solution. You don't even need to use the sleep trick.

I also used the dell post-installer from this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...aded&start=

to get the sound working.

At this point I have a Dell D630 running in 1280x1024 non-accelerated video mode

-working sound

-working dell wireless card

-kernel updated to 9.3.0

If i install either Roneil's X3100 kexts or Wolf's X3100 kexts my top bar shows up distorted with a white apple and locks up the machine forcing a power down to reset within 5 minutes.

I hope this information helps some of you as well.

• 8 months later...
any one had any luck/information regarding an install on the Dell Latitude D630. i'm interested in whether the following work (since they differ a little from the D620):

- new graphics card (Intel GMA X3100)

- the wireless (Dell Wireless 1390)

- the built in ethernet work (no idea what it is)

- bluetooth (Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth Module).

Thanks!

I have my Dell D630 working, except Wi-Fi, anyone know how I can get this up and running? I have the 1500...I followed the directions to a 'T', but cannot get Wi-Fi to work. Kinda frustrating.

• 1 month later...

Hi , look for sleep trick. With this trick you can get x3100 with QE.

Greetings

Hi,

i installed Mac OS X Leopard on my D630. Works as expected. Pretty much the same result you got from your install.

Video:

AppleAppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext works but obvisouly no QE/CI with this driver. I can switch this driver wiht AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext after bootup but this has no result on the QE/CI capibilities.

If I try to boot up only with these two drivers i get a short blue screen and after this the screen goes black. Any ideas how to solve this?

The IOPCIMatching sections in the Info.plist files look good to me: Vendor: 8086 (intel) and device 2A02

Networking (WLAN):

I read there is no driver available for the Intel pro wireless 3945 ABG card. So how did you get your wlan running? I really need this feature, otherwise the hole setup is useless. Or do you have a dell wireless card installed? If so i would try to get one from ebay...

Ok, thats it for now.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
any one had any luck/information regarding an install on the Dell Latitude D630. i'm interested in whether the following work (since they differ a little from the D620):

- new graphics card (Intel GMA X3100)

- the wireless (Dell Wireless 1390)

- the built in ethernet work (no idea what it is)

- bluetooth (Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth Module).

Thanks!

All I can say is (kalyway10.5.2)

vanilla

-v cpus=2

sometimes give me the luck to get the installation through without kernel panic...

=============================================================

I just hacked things to make kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my D630 T7500

with Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A02

video card.

1394 Net Adaptor

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit ControllerA

Intel®Wireless WiFiLink 4965GN

It should be 1400x900 resolution but now I got only USB and DVD working.

I want to make sure what is install driver. Just copy certain files into certain places?

My first thing to worry about is to get a disk backup software (not know if ghost will work) that at least will same what I got so far.

And then I like to fix the display and network

Could anyone please help me understand what is and howto install a driver and recommend me the video driver and network driver? Thanks a lot.