Dell Latitude D630 compatible?

76 posts in this topic

any one had any luck/information regarding an install on the Dell Latitude D630. i'm interested in whether the following work (since they differ a little from the D620):

- new graphics card (Intel GMA X3100)

- the wireless (Dell Wireless 1390)

- the built in ethernet work (no idea what it is)

- bluetooth (Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth Module).

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the d620. My 1390 works, bluetooth works, quattro nvs110 works (geforce go 7300), QE and CI works. Onboard gigabit ethernet does not work, I have to run with one core, and it does not recover from sleep. This is using JaS 10.4.8 install.

• 2 weeks later...
any one had any luck/information regarding an install on the Dell Latitude D630. i'm interested in whether the following work (since they differ a little from the D620):

I've got a D830 that came today from work and I can't even get it to boot the JAS 10.4.8 PPF1&2 DVD. It hangs in the ACPI initialization. On top of it, I can't even get Ubuntu 7.04 to install (can't see the CD in the kernel.)

Pat

• 1 month later...
I've got a D830 that came today from work and I can't even get it to boot the JAS 10.4.8 PPF1&2 DVD. It hangs in the ACPI initialization. On top of it, I can't even get Ubuntu 7.04 to install (can't see the CD in the kernel.)

Pat

disable acpi in the bios, and you should be able to boot ubuntu

disable acpi in the bios, and you should be able to boot ubuntu

You can't disable ACPI in the BIOS on the D830 (and I'm guessing the D630.) I've gotten OSX to install by doing a VMWare install and then converting it to native. VESA only since there are no drivers for the X3100 chipset nor the 3945ABG and I don't remember if the wired ethernet works either...

FYI,

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

i've tried to get it run with QI/CE with some intel drivers (for 950 or 900) of course without luck... i am still looking for working drivers but it's quite new graph. card and i am not sure if apple build it in theirs computers... maybe with new macbooks or macmini

MacNeo,

After doing a bit of research myself, you are correct, there is currently no way to get the x3100 working with QE/CI. The rumor mill is that Mac will begin replacing the GMA950 with the x3100, so at that point we should be able to get working drivers. Now as to when and for that matter IF this even happens, I have no idea when that might be.

errandewolfe: Have you managed to get any version to install properly, and boot consistently?

I've got a d630 myself, and I'm plagued with acpi/apic errors on boot.. If I use cpus=1 it just locks up, without it I can get maybe 1 in 15-20 boots to work..

If you're not getting this, which release did you use?

Corbo,

If you don't mind please this thread is specifically for the 630 and 830 models (as they are identical except for the screen size).

Equate,

I have not bothered doing a full install. OS X without QE/CI for me is pretty much worthless. I can tell you I was able to take an already functioning install of OS X that I had made on a Compaq C552US laptop and put that hard drive in and was able to boot and and use OS X just fine.

Equate,

I have not bothered doing a full install. OS X without QE/CI for me is pretty much worthless. I can tell you I was able to take an already functioning install of OS X that I had made on a Compaq C552US laptop and put that hard drive in and was able to boot and and use OS X just fine.

Interesting.. I may have to try the VMWare method..

Though I think I may give leopard a shot first..

Cheers for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

hi again, does smb. have working wireless card on D630? wich driver i must install? :rolleyes:

really_guest: try turn off in bios multi core and everything what can you find about intelspeedstep... its works in my case

To answer people about the distro question.....

I have not completed a full install yet, need to backup my Windows partition first. Every version I tried to even begin the install with would crash. Finally found Kalyway's 10.4.10. Applied the PPF1, then there is an mkext extension out there for the intel 965/jmicron chipset that allow be to boot and at least make it into disk utility. Would say that is a pretty good sign.

Oh and by the way if anyone has found a non-destructive way to install OS X to an existing hard drive that has free partition space can you PM me with a link or some instructions.

I've also a D630, but when I boot, a kernel panic appear. Wich version I need?

Please, help! It's a business laptop !!! :(:)

ty

Hi,

On my D630 (nVidia Quadro NVS 135M)

Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i r2 worked for me, with the following options selected:

- v1.4i Main System

- Patches > Verbose Mode

- Drivers > System > ICH8, ICH6

The system boots all the way into OS X, however, there are artifacts when moving windows around or scrolling (this seems to happen mainly on nVidia chipsets from what I've been reading... if you have the Intel GPU, you might get better results). I have not been able to get any nVidia drivers working, yet...

WLAN and audio also are not working. Bluetooth seems OK, though.

P.S. In the BIOS, I have the hard drive controller set to ATA (which should be the default, anyway). You may have problems if you have it set to AHCI.

EDIT: You may have to try up to three times. Sometimes it gives me a kernel panic error, but usually power cycling the system and trying again works.... Even if I do the exact same thing.

I just tried the XxX release of 10.4.10...

...The first two times I tried to boot the disc, it gave the following error:

Kernel loadable modules in backtract (wuth dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.0.3)@0x35c24000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.2)@0x35bd6000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.2.0)@0x35be9000

But the third time I booted the disc (without changing any settings), it booted OK. I installed with the following settings:

- EssentialSystemSoftware (required)

- Intel.SSE3 kernel + essential.10.4.10... (required)

- RecommendedPatches > Verbose Mode AND System.Profiler.Patch

- OptionalKernel/Patches > OptionalPatches > Adobe.CS3.Patch

- ATA_USB controllers > ICH8

- Miscellaneous > PowerManagement.bundle

After installation, it rebooted OK, but gave the above error again (but with different hex numbers)... same after a second reboot. After the third reboot, it worked! (weird... I didn't change any settings)

The nice things about this release (when compared to one mentioned in my previous post) are that there are no display artifacts at all, and the onboard LAN is detected. WLAN is still not working, neither is the audio. I have not tried anything else yet, nor have I tried finding/installing drivers for the hardware, yet.

OK, found a pretty painless distro for the 630. You are going to need 3 things: Kalyway 10.4.10 distro, Jmicron Extensions.mkext, Kalyway PPF1.

1. Download all 3 pieces, all can be found on the Green Demon.

2. Apply the PPF1 patch to the 10.4.10 DVD

3. Convert the DVD to read-write

4. Replace the Extensions.mkext on the DVD with the one you downloaded.

5. Burn this new image.

6. In BIOS set your hard drive to ATA mode NOT AHCI.

6a. You MAY also need to disable PCMCIA card support.

7. You can install as normal.

What you end up with:

System:

You wind up with 10.4.10 installed with the 8.10.3 kernel.

Networking (LAN):

Internal LAN is not recognized. There are kext files out there that may enable you to get onboard LAN working, I have not tested any yet.

Networking (WiFi):

You will need to edit your network.plist file to change the wifi to en1. No other steps were required to get WiFi working.

Video:

The onboard GMA X31000 works fine in VESA mode. No one yet has found a way to enable QE/CI. We will most likely have to hope that the next Macbook refresh includes the X3100 as many people are predicting. This means apps like DVD player are not going to work.

Sound:

I have not gotten sound working yet, do not even know if this is possible.

Bluetooth:

I don't have this enabled in BIOS, but will eventually get around to testing it.

USB:

Seems to be working without any additional installed patches.

I will update this post as I test further.

• 3 weeks later...
Networking (LAN):

Internal LAN is not recognized. There are kext files out there that may enable you to get onboard LAN working, I have not tested any yet.

Networking (WiFi):

You will need to edit your network.plist file to change the wifi to en1. No other steps were required to get WiFi working.

Video:

The onboard GMA X31000 works fine in VESA mode. No one yet has found a way to enable QE/CI. We will most likely have to hope that the next Macbook refresh includes the X3100 as many people are predicting. This means apps like DVD player are not going to work.

Hi,

i installed Mac OS X Leopard on my D630. Works as expected. Pretty much the same result you got from your install.

Video:

AppleAppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext works but obvisouly no QE/CI with this driver. I can switch this driver wiht AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext after bootup but this has no result on the QE/CI capibilities.

If I try to boot up only with these two drivers i get a short blue screen and after this the screen goes black. Any ideas how to solve this?

The IOPCIMatching sections in the Info.plist files look good to me: Vendor: 8086 (intel) and device 2A02

Networking (WLAN):

I read there is no driver available for the Intel pro wireless 3945 ABG card. So how did you get your wlan running? I really need this feature, otherwise the hole setup is useless. Or do you have a dell wireless card installed? If so i would try to get one from ebay...

Ok, thats it for now.

Achtung,

To address your questions (and these answer pertain strictly to Leopard):

Video - We will most likely need a modified set of x3100 kext files. Basically everyone with the 3100 on thier desktop is honky dorry. Everyone with a lappy is tied to an external monitor right now if you want QE/CI and full resolution control. One of the first things that is going to be needed is an ioreg dump from one of the new Macbooks with the X3100. Once those begin hitting people's hands I expect you will see the X3100 issue solved very soon.

WLAN - There has been limited successes with the 3945 ABG card. You can jump through hoops to get it working on an open WiFi network. Currently I don't believe WEP or WPA is functional. I would suggest you search the forums on that one, there is one discussion thread 120+ pages long on it. Personally I have the Dell card which worked fantastically on 10.4.10. I am sure it will do the same on Leo, but as of yet I have not been able to pull off a successful install since I don't have an external display.

Achtung,

To address your questions (and these answer pertain strictly to Leopard):

Video - We will most likely need a modified set of x3100 kext files. Basically everyone with the 3100 on thier desktop is honky dorry. Everyone with a lappy is tied to an external monitor right now if you want QE/CI and full resolution control. One of the first things that is going to be needed is an ioreg dump from one of the new Macbooks with the X3100. Once those begin hitting people's hands I expect you will see the X3100 issue solved very soon.

WLAN - There has been limited successes with the 3945 ABG card. You can jump through hoops to get it working on an open WiFi network. Currently I don't believe WEP or WPA is functional. I would suggest you search the forums on that one, there is one discussion thread 120+ pages long on it. Personally I have the Dell card which worked fantastically on 10.4.10. I am sure it will do the same on Leo, but as of yet I have not been able to pull off a successful install since I don't have an external display.

Hi,

thank you for the response. Can you tell me which wireless modell your are using? Is it the 4965AGN? Because these two modells are the only listed on the dell website for this notebook.

Installing and working with Leopard worded fine for me without using an external monitor. You just have to use the AppleIntelIntegrated.

Until then.

Yeah,

we now. But right now they are not working without a modification on the binary driver file. At least on this specific notebook. Which is a little strange because the hardware is excatly the same and even the IOPCIMatching section seems to fit.