Realtek ALC 889A onboard sound

aqua-mac

54 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...
I have the same question

Use a linux-live cd that you can download at any linux-distro site for free. I recommend SABAYON that someone recommended to me at the Targu thread.

Boot from the CD.

With SABAYON it is as simple as finding the codec0 under /proc/asound/card0 or similiar.

Then drag 'n drop that file to a usb stick or other location.

Install using Targu's Patcher (ver. 1.16 is for the new kernel!)

with linux terminal the commands look like this:

n the linux terminal type "/proc/asound" then find the file "codec#0" (note: the file does not necessarily be directly inside 'asound' but could be in a folder or in a folder . . . inside asound) , once you have located the file type in the terminal "cat codec#0 > /tmp/nameofcodec.txt" . for me i did this inside a livecd so i "dumped" it into my usb flash drive instead of the "/tmp" directory. (reminder: execute the commands without the quotes

ok

good luck,

ninetto

edit: New link for full ALC889A [in/out/digital] support. This is a newer link than the one below. Credits to kossi.

original post

This is a recent update to ALC 888. Does anyone know how to get this going? I have tried Skippy Retards ALC 888 but it is a no go. Any help appreciated.
Hey,

I know it's been awhile since you asked, but still. Note that I haven't tried this yet since i haven't received my GA-P35-DS4 [been waiting for over 2 weeks now :/].

hey

to get audio working on my P35-DQ6 motherboard

- make sure BIOS has AZALIA enabled.

- i found an azalia kext on this forum.

- i modified the kext to work with the device id of the alc889 chip.

i do not have microphone input working. and i don't know if the surround sound works, but hey, it can beep!

I have included a copy of the file if that helps.

uncompress this kext and store in S/L/E and change the permissions, ownership and reload the kexts

P.

Link to file: AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip.

[second] Link to topic: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=57762

Of course all credit goes out to peterg :P

• 4 months later...
Yes you should be fine. Download the New Link and remove the azalia kext if you have it. You will need to repair permissions in the terminal.

hi again, could you please provide the steps you made and the files to download. i might download the wrong one.

Hey I recently wrote a full install guide for the GA P35-DS3P (leopard), which has that exact sound card. here is the relevant section from my guide:

*********************** begin sound fix: ***********************

find alc889a here: http://rapidshare.com/files/51585161/alc889a.zip.html

-(on this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;p=436207)

copy alc889a (which is a folder with 2 folders in it) onto a thumbdrive

boot into install dvd (many do this next section from single user, but I have always used the dvd)

open terminal

cd /Volumes/thumbdrive/alc889a

mv ALCinject.kext /Volumes/DrivewithLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext <press enter>

mv AppleHDA.kext /Volumes/DrivewithLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext <press enter>

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/DrivewithLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext <press enter>

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/DrivewithLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext <press enter>

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/DrivewithLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext <press enter>

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/DrivewithLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext <press enter>

rm -R /Volumes/DrivewithLeopard/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache <press enter>

(it says "no such file or directory". ignore that, its ok)

rm -R /Volumes/DrivewithLeopard/System/Library/Extensions.mkext <press enter>

reboot <press enter>

enjoy fully working audio... verify in the Audio Panel that you have fully working audio...

*********************** end sound fix ***********************

it gives working 2 channel out on front panel (connected to the HDA jack on the mobo during assembly) and back panel, with front and back input recognized but not tested.

but it says

Codec: Realtek ALC885

Address: 2

Vendor Id: 0x10ec0885

Subsystem Id: 0x1458a002

Revision Id: 0x100101

Default PCM:

rates [0x560]: 44100 48000 96000 192000

bits [0xe]: 16 20 24

formats [0x1]: PCM

Default Amp-In caps: N/A

Default Amp-Out caps: N/A

can it still be used for ALC889?

any by the way.

1. Does AppleHDA / AppleAzalia / ALCinject come default with leopard?
  2. To fix ALC889, which do i need to replace: AppleHDA / AppleAzalia / ALCinject?
  3. Which can i delete?

I'm on GA-P35-DS3R

Thanks

well if everything is working correctly it should look something like this.

oh, one more thing: When you built the computer, did you plug the front panel audio in to the HDA pins, or the AC97 pins? I used HDA.

for me, line out is the black jack on the back, and headphones are the front panel audio

post-122578-1198999095_thumb.jpg

well if everything is working correctly it should look something like this.

I'm looking for a motherboard for my new HTPC.

The main issue is audio.

So far i've only found Taruga's ALC882 100% working; most of the people can get Line out and Mic to work with other ALC devices but i can't get correct info about digital output and i'd really like to have it.

Could you please tell me if you can get Mic and digital (Coaxial or Optical, it doesn't matter) output from ALC889a with 10.5.1?

Thank you so much!

• 1 month later...
Easy solution for Alc889a:

- download AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=HDApatcher

- download ALC889Adump.txt

- unpack AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip

- drag and drop ALC889Adump.txt to AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 icon

- restart

- enjoy! :D

PS work with Kalyway 10.5.1

I have use this method to fix the Gigabyte P35-DS3 Audio ,but got this message

"Detected unsupported Realtek Codec".Anything wrong ? Thanks everyone's great work!

PS.Installed with Kalyway 10.5.1

I have use this method to fix the Gigabyte P35-DS3 Audio ,but got this message

"Detected unsupported Realtek Codec".Anything wrong ? Thanks everyone's great work!

PS.Installed with Kalyway 10.5.1

Hi,

I have the same Mobo P35-DS3 as yours and with Kalyway 10.5.1 installed too.

I encountered the same error msg after dragging ALC889a.txt to AppleHDA Patcher V1.20

*Detected unsupported Codec

Codec:,VendorId,SystemID all shown blank in AppleHDA Patcher.

Did you manage to solve the problem?

Inspite of the error msg, stereo audio is working.

Would appreciate your help and advise.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Mine works great too, except front panel audio input never detected.Might somebody tells me how to add a external audio input option onto the system preference .

my system configuration: GA-P35-DS3,E4400 M0,7600GT,WD 250G SATAII,IDE DVD RW,USB KB,USB Mouse

install from Kalyway 10.5.1 and updated 10.5.2

• 2 weeks later...
I tried following Socal Swimmer's advice, but whenever I try to do anything in the terminal it turns out I don't have permission. I've tried setting permissions to the Extensions folder to Read & Write, but that did nothing. Help please? :D

you must type:

sudo -s <press enter> <type in your admin password> <press enter>

then all the commands.

:(

good luck!