Realtek ALC 889A onboard sound

aqua-mac

54 posts in this topic

Easy solution for Alc889a:

- download AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=HDApatcher

- download ALC889Adump.txt

- unpack AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip

- drag and drop ALC889Adump.txt to AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 icon

- restart

- enjoy! :D

PS work with Kalyway 10.5.1

It works for me!!!

I'm using Gigabyte P35-DS3P rev.1.1 with 10.5.2 (installed from Leo4All dvd).

(But note - you should drag & drop dump file to UNLAUNCHED patcher,

i.e. _do_not_ launch it before. It is very strange behavior, but it does not matter - it works.)

Thank you very much!

Here is my proof:

th_soundworkingALC889aLeopard.png

(click image for full size)

My hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 1.0 (which has the ALC889A chip)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 overclocked to 3GHz

RAM: 2x Corsair TWIN2X CL4 PC2-6400 and 2x Corsair TWIN2X CL5 PC2-8000 for a total of 4GB

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB (ASUS)

• 4 weeks later...

For the life of me I cannot get SPDIF output with this audio chipset. My board is a Gigybyte eP35-DS3R and it's giving me nothing but problems when trying to send optical out. I haven't tried digital coax, but headphones do work, so it's not all for naught.

I have tried socal's method, taruga's with a linux codec dump, and even CMI8738PCIAudioDriver and none of them want to give me optical.

Help? Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

I can say using the codec dump + AppleHDA Patcher 1.20

The microphone is half working...

because i cannot make a smooth speech using msn messenger (VMware with XP)

it like a lag in every mili-sec or something...

Everyone should try to see if they have this problem.!!

Also, anyone can tell which part of the codec dump is the mic?

So I might try and mod it myself to get a better quality of the input mic sound

Well it doesn't work for me.

I've tried both methods outlined in this thread, both methods show additional options available in the sound control panel such as line out, digital out etc which is an improvement over not having anything show up however neither method actually produces any sound!

So, my motherboard is a Gigabyte P35 DS3R v1.1 with the ALC889A onboard sound.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Ben

• 7 months later...

neither working for me. at least... when i set the output in system preferences/sound to built-in speaker, then only the two front speakers give sound, and when the output is built-in line output, then only the rear speakers give sound. system profiler says no built-in audio.

and there's no mic input at all.

i have GA X48T-DQ6 motherboard

any ideas?

thx

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey Folks.

I have some problems installing the driver.

My Gigabyte EP45-DS3 has an ALC889a chip but if i do it, like Wizper said, the HDAPatcher (1.20) says:

AppleHDA Patcher - 2006/2007 by Taruga v1.20

Codec : Realtek ALC885

Vendor Id : 0x10ec0885

Subsystem Id : 0x1458a002

* Detected unsupported Realtek Codec

Does he think, that i have an ALC885 Chip? i already tried an ALC885 dump file, but that doesn't work too

I found a solution without patching ;-)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=27629

here you can download the ALC889.pkg and you won't have problems with the sound anymore :-P

Were you using this on the ALC889A chipset? I just ran it and it wiped away the sound setup I had before.

As a side note, is anyone getting sound that kind of sounds staticy? When a sound first plays using the ALC889A kext I used before, it sounds like there is a little pop before starting.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
this didn't work for Gigabyte GA-58EX-UD3R..

The UD3R has an ALC888 soundcard. I've tried tons of kexts with 10.5.7 but wasn't able to get it working. I didn't look into using the patcher + dump to get it working though.

The way I solved it was by replacing AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E with the AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.6. Use any ALC888 you'd like and it should work on 10.5.7. If you're still running =<10.5.6 you don't have to replace AppleHDA.kext.

I should note that I was using Wolfie's EFI boot partition with Kexts but switched to using Chameleon and the /Extra dir for kexts. I tried changing the version number of AppleHDA.kext (10.5.6) and all the other kexts located inside to try and keep /S/L/E vanilla, however this does not work. Just so you know ;)

I'm not at home so I can't provide you with a direct link to the kexts I used but if you use the search: EX58-UD3R or ALC888 you will definitely find drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Snowski

I'm also looking for a solution. 32/64bit and 5.1 support for ALC889a but I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.

• 3 months later...

I need some serious help -- please help!

I'm building my first Hackintosh using the Lifehacker guide and the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P board. Everything went flawlessly except for audio: when I go to the Sys Preferences > Sound, no output or input devices appear in this list. Also I have 3 different hardware audio interfaces (2 are USB, 1 is Firewire) and none of them work either. After installing their drivers and restarting, they don't show up in the Sound control panel, nor in any other app.

I tried both solutions in this thread -- the HDAPatcher app along with the ALC889 text file, and the Terminal commands. The Terminal commands didn't work -- they gave me the error that it was a "read-only file system" and even after using sudo, it refused to move the files. So I don't know how to make it work.

If you have any ideas at all, or even a different guide to start from scratch, I would be most eternally grateful. I absolutely need audio up and running on this Hackintosh!

• 1 month later...

- download AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=HDApatcher

- download ALC889Adump.txt

- unpack AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip

- drag and drop ALC889Adump.txt to AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 icon

- restart

- enjoy! :D

PS work with Kalyway 10.5.1

Didn't work for me - strangest thing is that the sound used to work, then I added another hard drive, rebooted (I think apple had also updated two apps), and now no devices are shown in the output page (I have a Gigabyte GA45-UD3P motherboard with this chipset built in.)

Andrew

This is amazing. I hope it works ... will test it out soon enough. I am running MSI Pro x58 motherboard and it works great with no bios changes/hacks or anything. Only had to set hard drives to AHCI versus default of IDE. I hope this gets the onboard sound working better than the VoodooHDA I installed (which has given sound, so the VoodooHDA has been a big help).

I found a solution without patching ;-)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=27629

here you can download the ALC889.pkg and you won't have problems with the sound anymore :-P