June 11th is right around the corner...

MacVertigo

19 posts in this topic

So the day is coming, a "Final" beta version of leopard. According to mac it is the version that they are wanting to put out.. just with some of the "bugs" not worked out. So what do you think we will see?? Anything new?? Ideas??

Well, IMHO this is what I would like to see:

-Spiffy GUI (doesn't have to be anything too grand just something new to show our Vista friends)

-Updated Finder (I *love* OS X but I would really, really like an update to Finder)

-Polished Safari, Spaces, et al (IE -Ha! Pun!-no major bugs like animated cursors that compromise your system)

-Demo of Office 2008 - Gotta use Office 2004 for work and its pretty slow on my MBP.

-Beryl like effects for Finder. Hear me out before you roll your eyes and hurl insults at me. I *LIKE* cool effects and eye candy. People *DO* judge a book by its cover (a favorite saying of Jobs btw) so I think Beryl is great for Linux and I wish we had some of the effects they do. I'm not saying you have to have them as a default but make them an option so folks who think that stuff is cool can turn them on and those who want a less flashy OS can disable them.

-A Kick @ss surprise in Leopard to make the industry go "Wow! That is so amazing, I have to buy a Macintosh!"

Things I think would be cool but will never happen:

-Chime Changer (install new chimes, I know, I know, would require some sort of firmware flash)

-You know what I would really like? How about Apple bridge the gap between WINE and CrossOver Office. I really like WINE on Linux and CrossOver just isn't there for me yet to fork out the cash for it. If Apple could come out with some spiffy version/fork of WINE with their talented programmers behind it I think it would be a great way to digg at Microsoft without putting a license fee in Uncle Bill's pocket the way Boot Camp does (not that I'm knocking it, its great!). I just don't want to see Microsoft get anymore money.

-The return and make-over of the original happy mac icon upon startup. I think Apple or Deviant Art could do a very cool icon and replace the aging grey boot Apple Logo. Just MHO here...

-More sound effects for things with Apple-standard-cool sounds to go with it

-Apple should tie Majel Barrat to a chair and force her to do sound samples so that we could get a great computer voice for 10.5. Ok, I guess they could pay her but either way I think that would be great.

-Optional LCARS Menu System :-)

No matter what I'm going to buy Leopard because of Spaces. For the work I do and how I (dis)organize things, its just a tool I can't live out. After playing with the <cough>beta<cough> I think Leopard is going to be a great little update! :-)

Just my humble thoughts,

-P

I wonder how fast it will be leaked out..

Too fast... :P

On a more serious note - there's been loads of topics about "What you would like to see in Leopard"...

-Apple should tie Majel Barrat to a chair and force her to do sound samples so that we could get a great computer voice for 10.5. Ok, I guess they could pay her but either way I think that would be great.

There IS a new voice in Leopard. It's called Alex. You should search for it and listen to samples. I think it's great, a big improvement over all the computer voices I've heard. It even takes a breath before sentences! And a boon for people with disabilities. Good on you, Apple! :P

I wonder how fast it will be leaked out..

Hmmm....Well as beta starved as this group is and the promise of a feature complete beta being handed out like candy, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it before WWDC. Either way -before or during WWDC- its going to be a *good* week!

Viva la torrent!

Not, that anyone here would do that sort of thing... :thumbsup_anim:

-P

IMO I think Apple is going to go all out with Core Animation. This new core technology has a LOT of potential for developers. Check out these youtube videos of its technical capibilities, and see for yourself how good its potential really is.

Part 1

Fast forward to 5:02. Now THAT, is a slick effect IMO, provided you have album art covers for lots of songs in your iTunes library.

Part 2

Fast forward to 1:55. Another simple yet slick effect a la OS X style. I think this effect will most likely be implemented into finder itself, and will allow you to smoothly transtion any app or document/file. There is an even higher chance that this will be in the next iPhoto, and that as you search/organize...it will do so using this effect.

It's like Christmas all over again :(

Well, I would like (please)

1. A finished GUI (the one in 9A410 is pants)

2. Something cool, but unexpected

3. New iLife and iWork

4. iPhone UK date

5. New iPods

6. New mid range macs

7. New laptops

8. MSN support in iChat (A/V included)

9. New iSights (with HD video, would be nice)

10. A change of wardrobe for Jobs (unlikely!)

There IS a new voice in Leopard. It's called Alex. You should search for it and listen to samples. I think it's great, a big improvement over all the computer voices I've heard. It even takes a breath before sentences! And a boon for people with disabilities. Good on you, Apple! ;)

Actually, I want Tom Baker as the system voice.

BETTER VOICE RECOGNITION!!!

im greek i don't speak very good english.

Windows Vista recognition understands me all times i speak 10/10 efforts

Mac os x recognition 3/10 efforts

It Sucks!

I want Leopard to be a rock solid Unix for servers.

1. something like Solaris Zones: being able to freely run multiple Mac OS X on the same host (at least for Mac OS X Server). Or being able to run multiple Leopard in VMWare on a mac.

2. ZFS boot.

3. improved tools for managing the daemons (launchctl just suck in comparison of Sun's svcadm/svcs).

4. some easy to use security features.

5. a new Activity Monitor tool.

6. some ressources control features.

Leopard to make all the MS fanboys shut up and MS to scramble to try and make Vista be as good as Leopard. I hope it is that good.

The cube or whatever to replace the Mini with the ability to upgrade.

New pricing on Macs.

New software we didn't see coming.

Something like that....