Religion in the modern world...

46 posts in this topic

I think that he was making fun of me, saying that what I was saying was propaganda, then showing an example of if HE was using propaganda, at least thats what I hope he was doing because if he really believed that...then thats fuked up.

;)

I find I only need to state my lack of religion when I am questioned by a Christian :rolleyes:

I'm agreeing with a previous post - what a load of ;). Surely that is telling people to deny facts, if there is a nicer sounding option available?

Well, no offence to anyone religious, but like any athiest, I don't base my beliefs on the word of a 2000 year old book. My beliefs are based on science.

Some religous people I have debated with in the past claimed that science was a load of :censored2:.

So I pose the question - what has cured smallpox and put men on the moon?

Religion, or science?

I have to say that is a load of bullocks too.

Science changes ever 5 mins.

World is flat. - No it isn't

Earth is at the centre of the universe - no it doesn't

Universe in collapsing - No it isn't...

Believe what you want to believe but if you're going to tell other peoople that they are basically following something blindly then so are you as NOTHING is certain.

And what the heck does small pox have to do with anything? Why does Science and religion have to be contradictory??? I never get this. It's like, don't be a scientist if you believe in God.

There is no definiate proof for god, but there sure is a lot of proof behind Newton's laws, Einstein's Theory of Relativity, etc, etc. They are sciences that are proved, and therefore, are facts.

Lets talk about Einstein's Theory of Relativity. It's a theory which has only been proven mathematically nothing more. We can't actually test it because we can not approach the speed of light with our current technical capabilities but yet science widely believes it to be fact. How is that any different than people believe in a God?

So then I ask you, what has inspired the majority of those great men and women to make those discoveries? Their belief in God, and their desire to honor him. Seriously, some of the greatest scientists to have ever lived were significantly inspired by Christianity.

Don't forget some of the worst too. Hitler was a Christian. He discovered the Jews were in need of extermination. Some discovery. But I get what you're saying and I agree... I think. Religious people (not necessarily Christians btw) have contributed to science too. Like I said, science and religion are not disjoint subjects.

Another thread beating this dead horse?

Woah, you're not encouraging animal abuse are you?? :hysterical:

It's interesting where this thread is going...

I was kinda expecting it to degenerate into the attempted debasement of both sides.

But why does it turn into this on nearly every thread, even when it isn't the subject?

Science changes ever 5 mins.

So because religion doesn't change, it is right?

After-all, there are many religions in the world, all of them with different ideas - they can't all be right!

So because religion doesn't change, it is right?

You're missing my point. I'm not trying to persuade you that Religion is right because it's constant (which it isn't, the bible in my opinion for example) but that given science changes ever 5 mins it's unreliable. Simple as that. Science is unreliable. So to base something as great as does God exist on science solely is risky.

After-all, there are many religions in the world, all of them with different ideas - they can't all be right!

I'm not saying they are all right. I could make one up today and call it a religion, doesn't mean if you follow it you will somehow enter heaven in the end. You really have to search for your own truths. But the main thing is don't be lazy by not searching. I know people who told me they would never become muslim but is now simply because they kept looking.

• 5 weeks later...

What the Buddha meant was... to put it simply.

Do not follow a belief just because someone tells you to. Follow it because it works for you.

As a pratical example, you should not follow a certain religion just because you were born "into it". You should try it, test it, and see if it works for you.

Because those that practice their religion with the most fervor on here are the self proclaimed atheists. Since they proclaim to have no religious belief they seek to constantly justify their religion (atheism) by talking constantly about it.

Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color.

What the Buddha meant was... to put it simply.

Do not follow a belief just because someone tells you to. Follow it because it works for you.

As a pratical example, you should not follow a certain religion just because you were born "into it". You should try it, test it, and see if it works for you.

Good summary, well done.

I've been reading this thread with some degree of interest. What I find interesting is how we all believe or don't believe in 'something' and we hold firmly to that belief or non-belief, to the point of being evangelistic about it--the exact thing that we condemn someone else for doing concerning their belief or disbelief. So in that, we are all guilty of the same thing. Why do we find it so necessary to 'judge' others for not believing as we do. I've studied world religions and philosophies for most of my life and very few call on their believers to be judgmental. In fact, judgmentalism is an undesirable human trait that most religions teach us to avoid.

Personally, my own desire to understand, along with other unexplanable forces, has caused me to believe in a certain way about God, and I am willing to admit that I don't know everything there is to know about my God as I am continually evolving in my relationship with that God. I do think it's a misnomer to say that it is 'more logical' to have 'faith' or 'belief' in science and technology as our 'source' as opposed to anyone else's view of God. The things that science is composed of (including mathematics) have always existed in their completeness since the beginning of time (that's a whole other discussion). Our understanding of how those things work together is what is changing to allow us to come up with cures for diseases etc.

One might argue against a merciful God because of all the horror, pain and suffering that exists in the world today. One could say that if that same God was all powerful (i.e. has all the answers), why doesn't that God stop all those things. Therefore, there is no God. However, using that same logic, one could also argue that there is no science. For example, if millions of people are dying from AIDS or Malaria or Cancer and and science has all the answers, then why aren't they cured? I guess science doesn't exist. Of course, that's a foolish conclusion. It's humanity's lack of total understanding (and sometimes abuse and misuse) of science that hasn't led to a cure yet. The same can be said of God. Our lack of total understanding (and sometimes abuse and misuse) of God has caused the world to not be 'cured' yet.

I think the best we can do for the time being is to not believe or disbelieve out of our ignorance, but to work on learning as much as we can about what we believe or don't believe and then try to live out our lives as consistently as we can according to those beliefs or disbeliefs...as long as they don't cause harm to someone else. There's nothing wrong with telling others about how our faith or lack thereof has benefited us in life...as long as we don't condemn them if they don't agree with us. In the end, the Truth will be discovered by all. Some will be happy others won't.

If human science had all the answers... there would be no need for scientists to probe those answers...

However, if human science did have all the answers (as researchers are trying to achieve that goal), then everything would be understood perfectly.

As to a God who has all power and all answers... just because God doesn't fix the universe doesn't mean it can't... it simply may not care. From a skeptic's point of view, it does not matter if a God exists, because God's are fickle beings and cannot be trusted to perform as they are expected. Unlike mathematical models and the properties of silicon, which can be trusted. Algebra requires no faith. Only logic.

I think that people should just stop flaming others about their faith. I do believe in science and I would say it is my religion because it delivers any answer I am seeking for (although it cannot explain everything). Science is about proving theories. Religion is, in my opinion, the easiest way to answer questions, which seem to be unexplainable to mankind.

Simple answers, reasoning with God to calm down the mind. I admit that science cannot explain everything, but if we don't know how everything's gotten in it's place, then God is really the simpliest answer, but questioning it with science, big bang, physics and so on is quite more difficult and although it's about theories that sometimes are being proved wrong it is about thinking about it more profoundly than just justifying everything with God and religion, although I know that many virtues of our modern society are based on religion (mostly Christianism in the so-called western society).

All of us, whether we are atheists or not have been growing with these achievements and we can't deny them, but anyway I think we are living in a time where we are not forced to live after a what a two-thousand-year old book says. We are free to believe what we want and I think that is the biggest achievement in some 2 000 years of history (vive les Lumières!).

I have no problems with any religion, really ('cept for Fred Phelps' nauseating spin on Christianity) - though I do believe that it should be personal and there should never be anyone running about, trying to "convert" others. Keep it to yourself.

Science is somewhat of a religion though, IMO. Don't get me wrong, obviously it's not wholly the same as any religion, as it's something even an absolute skepticist would have to just...go along with, in order to get by each day - in order to survive. But, I mean, we're only human. We can't come up with an answer for everything. Hell, many of the answers we have now may be entirely incorrect. At one point in time, it was a "scientific fact" that the Earth was flat and that the sun revolved around it, wasn't it? Nowadays, that seems ridiculous, just as a few hundred years from now, a lot of what we believe may seem ridiculous. As Christianity is the belief or faith in God, I see science as the belief or faith in humans. Though, like I said, it's something we just kind of have to accept as the truth in our daily lives, otherwise we would surely end up extinct. But you don't necessarily have to entirely abstain from questioning it. It's when particular people begin to spout that science is doubtlessly accurate, that God conclusively does not exist, etcetera, that it becomes somewhat of a religion. "The atheist religion". I guess that's technically an oxymoron, but eh. Y'know what I mean.

For the record, I'm agnostic. Guess that might be rather perceptible at this point though. ;)