Religion in the modern world...

46 posts in this topic

After reading this forum quite regularly, I see one trend developing, and that is religion

Despite so many people being athiest, why does religion crop up in so many of our threads, namely those realting to war, virginity, sexuality, America and many other topics.

But why so?

And why do ancient books have such a bearing on our lives, even in the most mundane aspects?

Your thoughts, please, as I am confused :whistle:

After reading this forum quite regularly, I see one trend developing, and that is religion

Despite so many people being athiest, why does religion crop up in so many of our threads, namely those realting to war, virginity, sexuality, America and many other topics.

But why so?

And why do ancient books have such a bearing on our lives, even in the most mundane aspects?

Your thoughts, please, as I am confused :tomato:

I am just as confused as you hahah!

Your thoughts, please, as I am confused :P

Because in the Western culture it is enough for somebody to write or say something and it becomes true.

The Lord Buddha taught his followers to believe in something only when it sounds true and reasonable to them.

http://www.lankalibrary.com/rit/bodi%20puja.htm

"Prince Kalama do not believe what I said thinking it is correct because I said it. Do not believe anything because it is an age old belief coming down from generation to generation. Do not believe anything thinking that it was said by the ancient religious teachers. Do not believe anything because it is stated in the Tripitaka. Do not believe anything said by your teacher because he is a Bhikku. Examine what you heard thoughtfully and think carefully whether it is correct, whether it is of some benefit for the human being and whether it has been said thoughtfully with purity of mind and after you have examined and understood it clearly that it will be of benefit to you and to the others as well then only should you accept it" - The Buddha.

The Lord Buddha taught his followers to believe in something only when it sounds true and reasonable to them.

That is the stupidest {censored} thing I have ever heard.

Oh, so what your criteria for believing would be?

(Refering to Suse Lizard)

Yast Infection! LOL. Come on. I know you think that is funny! :thumbsdown_anim:

Because those that practice their religion with the most fervor on here are the self proclaimed atheists. Since they proclaim to have no religious belief they seek to constantly justify their religion (atheism) by talking constantly about it. Were they secure in their beliefs then they would not constantly be talking about it in order to reaffirm it.

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people... Be not intimidated, therefore, by any terrors, from publishing with the utmost freedom...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretenses of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice." ~ John Adams

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." ~ Samuel Adams

"History shows that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit and violent means possible to maintain control over governments by controlling the money and the issuance of it." ~ President James A. Madison

I am an atheist. It is my religion, as it were. I do not need to reaffirm it, as I believe it. If I didnt already believe it, I wouldn't bother.

But that's just me.

(Okay, so I just reaffirmed it. But only for illustrative purposes. People can believe whatever they want to believe.)

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

I find I only need to state my lack of religion when I am questioned by a Christian :rolleyes:

I'm agreeing with a previous post - what a load of :censored2:. Surely that is telling people to deny facts, if there is a nicer sounding option available?

Oh, so what your criteria for believing would be?

Well, no offence to anyone religious, but like any athiest, I don't base my beliefs on the word of a 2000 year old book. My beliefs are based on science.

Some religous people I have debated with in the past claimed that science was a load of :censored2:.

So I pose the question - what has cured smallpox and put men on the moon?

Religion, or science?

Because those that practice their religion with the most fervor on here are the self proclaimed atheists. Since they proclaim to have no religious belief they seek to constantly justify their religion (atheism) by talking constantly about it. Were they secure in their beliefs then they would not constantly be talking about it in order to reaffirm it.

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people... Be not intimidated, therefore, by any terrors, from publishing with the utmost freedom...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretenses of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice." ~ John Adams

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." ~ Samuel Adams

"History shows that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit and violent means possible to maintain control over governments by controlling the money and the issuance of it." ~ President James A. Madison

My beliefs are based on logic and reason, when one says they are a religion, isn't that by definition self-proclaimed? If you say you are Christian, which I am guessing you are based on your confederate flag, you are a self-proclaimed Christian.

Atheism is not a religion, it is a lack of belief in god. I am not an Atheist in the sense that I do not believe in energy, or the universe or whatever, only an Atheist in the way that some man god judging us from the clouds sounds absolutely ludicrous.

I am... only an Atheist in the way that some man god judging us from the clouds sounds absolutely ludicrous.

Of course. Some kind of credible "Supreme Being" must be very different than that, and way beyond our comprehension.

I find I only need to state my lack of religion when I am questioned by a Christian :rolleyes:

I'm agreeing with a previous post - what a load of :censored2:. Surely that is telling people to deny facts, if there is a nicer sounding option available?

Well, no offence to anyone religious, but like any athiest, I don't base my beliefs on the word of a 2000 year old book. My beliefs are based on science.

Some religous people I have debated with in the past claimed that science was a load of :censored2:.

Religion, or science?

i have actually met a crazy person who thought we had god-powered engines to get to the moon.

search God inc. on myspace - thats what i think god is - office building in the sky

Some religous people I have debated with in the past claimed that science was a load of censored.gif.

Religion, or science?

So then I ask you, what has inspired the majority of those great men and women to make those discoveries? Their belief in God, and their desire to honor him. Seriously, some of the greatest scientists to have ever lived were significantly inspired by Christianity.

Sorry Paranoid Marvin, but you are in strong contradiction with yourself.

You say that "the Buddha's principle", which is based on reason, is a load of :censored2: , but then you base your beliefs on science, which is also based on reason (hopefully).

As to "telling people to deny facts, if there is a nicer sounding option available?", the Lord Buddha wasn't taking blatant dishonesty into account (that is, what you are suggesting).

I have plans for world domination with that Lizard, you know... ^_^

:thumbsup_anim:

----

Wouldn't it be easier, and more senseable to say that science exists because man exists. Logic exists because of the 0 and the 1, if, and, or. But logic exists... Why? IF in fact the big bang happened, then how did it get there? How did the burning mass get there? If matter can neither be created NOR destroyed, then how was it created? Otherwise it would not exist! OH OH, its been there forever huh? Then explain infinity to me. Explain no beginning! I may need a chair & coffee for this one.

So then I ask you, what has inspired the majority of those great men and women to make those discoveries? Their belief in God, and their desire to honor him. Seriously, some of the greatest scientists to have ever lived were significantly inspired by Christianity.

While what you say is true, there have also been many great scientists that have been significantly inspired by things OTHER than Christianity. Christianity had its moment in the sun and it served some very useful purposes, but what is wrong with revising beliefs for the times?

While what you say is true, there have also been many great scientists that have been significantly inspired by things OTHER than Christianity. Christianity had its moment in the sun and it served some very useful purposes, but what is wrong with revising beliefs for the times?

Nothing has changed, because man hasn't changed.

The only that that has chanced is technology.

Easier ways to communicate, and easier ways for government to spread propaganda.

I know you have seen the movie Contact.

Nothing has changed, because man hasn't changed.

The only that that has chanced is technology.

Easier ways to communicate, and easier ways for government to spread propaganda.

I know you have seen the movie Contact.

More has changed than you might think, science for one. Some things have gotten better, some things have gotten worse, but things definitely HAVE changed.

More has changed than you might think, science for one. Some things have gotten better, some things have gotten worse, but things definitely HAVE changed.

Referring to propaganda above. Not just governments, but everywhere as well.

The "my belief is older than yours" could work here, but many try to argue this

since they don't KNOW WHEN the world was formed. But it could be said that Athiesm

is rather new since %99 most people < 1400s believed in something non-strictly scientific anyway.

Most people think around 5 billion years ago the earth was formed. Probably closer to 3 billion I think, as the universe

could easily be 8 trillion. Anywho... Christianity dates back to 950,000 years ago. As do some religions.

Some claim only 10,000 years ago like hinduism.

Referring to propaganda above. Not just governments, but everywhere as well.

The "my belief is older than yours" could work here, but many try to argue this

since they don't KNOW WHEN the world was formed. But it could be said that Athiesm

is rather new since %99 most people < 1400s believed in something non-strictly scientific anyway.

Most people think around 5 billion years ago the earth was formed. Probably closer to 3 billion I think, as the universe

could easily be 8 trillion. Anywho... Christianity dates back to 950,000 years ago. As do some religions.

Some claim only 10,000 years ago like hinduism.

Dude, chill out, seriously...

I thought Christianity dated to the first century CE.

I think that he was making fun of me, saying that what I was saying was propaganda, then showing an example of if HE was using propaganda, at least thats what I hope he was doing because if he really believed that...then thats fuked up.

Sorry Paranoid Marvin, but you are in strong contradiction with yourself.

You say that "the Buddha's principle", which is based on reason, is a load of :rolleyes: , but then you base your beliefs on science, which is also based on reason (hopefully).

As to "telling people to deny facts, if there is a nicer sounding option available?", the Lord Buddha wasn't taking blatant dishonesty into account (that is, what you are suggesting).

I suppose my wording was a bit bad. I say belief, but it's not a belief - it's a knowledge, based on facts.

There is no definiate proof for god, but there sure is a lot of proof behind Newton's laws, Einstein's Theory of Relativity, etc, etc. They are sciences that are proved, and therefore, are facts.

Religion comes from times where there were no scientific facts, so people had to make up things to believe in. But nowadays, we have facts, so why do we still need to be held back by the ancient religion?

Many Christians I know believe in creationism over evolution, simply because it is the least complex.

But seeing as creationism is belief and evolution is facts, it seems to me that there is a strong degree of denial (not quite blatant dishonesty)

Someone said above about scientists being inspired (the quote button didn't work!) by religon to make discoveries. So yeah, they may be inspired by god, but that doesn't mean that their work is a direct result of god's work

I suppose my wording was a bit bad. I say belief, but it's not a belief - it's a knowledge, based on facts.

There is no definiate proof for god, but there sure is a lot of proof behind Newton's laws, Einstein's Theory of Relativity, etc, etc. They are sciences that are proved, and therefore, are facts.

Religion comes from times where there were no scientific facts, so people had to make up things to believe in. But nowadays, we have facts, so why do we still need to be held back by the ancient religion?

Many Christians I know believe in creationism over evolution, simply because it is the least complex.

But seeing as creationism is belief and evolution is facts, it seems to me that there is a strong degree of denial (not quite blatant dishonesty)

Someone said above about scientists being inspired (the quote button didn't work!) by religon to make discoveries. So yeah, they may be inspired by god, but that doesn't mean that their work is a direct result of god's work

Good points except one thing, in a scientific world nothing can be proved...it can only be narrowed down to a high probability, the universe is in essence extremely probable, rather than proven....this is something that religious types have a problem wrapping their heads around.

The reason why I believe ideas like Christianity are so appealing is because it constitutes a Tripartite world structure, where everything is explained, everything is known, nothing is questioned. The moving from social thought to social theory (science) generally leads the way one thinks from three (tripartite system) to two. Three is inherently stable, two is inherently in conflict.

People like things to be pretty, in a scientific universe nothing is pretty, nothing is special...things only are. It is hard truth to accept for most people.