does 10.4.3 provide 3d accel and 1280x800 on ati?

loudog3114

18 posts in this topic

Not sure about the mobility 9600, but my x300 is working at 1280x1024x32 and is fully accelerated (CI & QE). I've note done much with OpenGL yet - not much into games, but I've heard some folks have had some success in that area as well..

What build are you running? Did you have to do anything extra to get that resolution working? I have an X600 and it won't let me do anything other than 1024x768. Is it the graphics card that's the problem or the monitor? It's a zd8225 with 1440x900 display.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by madmanxwater

What build are you running? Did you have to do anything extra to get that resolution working? I have an X600 and it won't let me do anything other than 1024x768. Is it the graphics card that's the problem or the monitor? It's a zd8225 with 1440x900 display.

Thanks,

Mike

I am running 10.4.3 BF1099 with all of Maxxuss's patches (I have a SSE3, PAE, No NX). In order to get this resolution, there are two ways:

1) When first installing the OS, press F8 and enter "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" (include the quotes) at the boot: prompt. The install will then be done in that resolution and will be automatically set to stay that way.

2) If you've already gotten the OS installed, in a terminal, cd to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/,

and edit the file com.apple.Boot.plist. It will look like this:

Kernel

mach_kernel

Kernel Flags

Boot Graphics

Yes

Graphics Mode

1280x1024x32@85

Note the Graphics Mode entry - this is what you need to add and/or edit on your system.

That's all I had to do, hope this helps...

Thanks so much. However I killed it! I tried editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file in vim and had a hard time with the "read only" settings. I thought I had it fixed but now the laptop won't boot at all, it just cycles over and over and I can't get into F8 or anything. So I'm going to reinstall 1099. Where exactly in that process to I enter the F8 and Graphics mode settings?

Thanks again

Sorry, also I'm trying to run 1440x900x32 on the hp zd8225 with x600 128Mb if that makes a difference.

Thanks again

That resolution is not a standard VESA resolution so it not supported by the OS X ATI drivers yet. If you type ?video at the boot prompt, it will display a list of resolutions and color depths that are accessible. Resolutions like 1440x900 and 1280x800 are driver functions. You can use these resolutions in Windows because the drivers have been specifically developed to allow that. The ATI drivers in 10.4.3 don't have that capability yet. I'm not sure if they can be hacked to allow that or if we'll have to wait until 10.4.4 or some similar build is released with more complete drivers.

Any graphical glitches?

/blkblt

blkbit;

I just upgraded to bf1111 today, and it was a stable upgrade. The one graphics glitch I was hoping to see vanish was the mouse track "tears" in the screen. But, unfortunately, the drivers in bf1111 weren't any help in that regard. It's really a minor annoyance - to me. Other than that, the speed seems fairly consistant with previous builds (though CI & QE make it seem faster - to me at least) - my xbench scores went up a couple of points, but no major performance gains.

I got an X600 pro which is also stuck at 1024x768 also using DVI. Problem is It looks horrible on my TFT, because its below its native resolution.

Since 10.4.3 it seems much quicker, but there is a mouse pointer bug. It doesn't redraw the screen properly when the mouse goes over a section of the screen.

Dvd's play back well and so do the Hi - Def H.264 examples off apples web site, very impressive even without sound.

I Wonder how long it will take for fully functional display drivers to surface. If the roumors about the MacWrold Expo are true it will have to be soon. Steve Jobs wouldn't appricate standing up on stage demonstrating the Mac Mini / pvr or the new power book with the mouse pointer going all crazy. Still they got the intel display chipset working for the dev boxes so may be they will stick with that.

I wonder what any of the few mac game developers thought when they got their transition dev box and found out what graphics card they got to try there games out on.

Oh well I am sure one day we can look back on this (slightly blurry) momment and laugh.