Is it me of does ONLINE experience lack with hack (or is it MAC?)

12 posts in this topic

Anyone with a real mac want to step in?

I've tried them all, Safari, Camino, Firefox and my speed is 1MB per second and every page is slow and streaming (e.g a live baseball game) is a night mare. Maybe a setting in Little Snitch is set wrong?

Thoughts?

its not the mac, nor is it the hac

what kind of connection are you on? get off of dial up

what kind of cpu do you have and how much ram?

i really like the browser Flock

camino and firefox are still great. opera too

I find my Mac (On a $12 a month Cable connection) the same speed, if not faster, then my schools PCs (On a 100 MBps line, I can normally measure my downloads at about 2 megs a second)

Just browsing that is, not downloading or streaming. But that's not because of it being a MAC

I've tried them all, Safari, Camino, Firefox and my speed is 1MB per second and every page is slow and streaming (e.g a live baseball game) is a night mare. Maybe a setting in Little Snitch is set wrong?

Thoughts?

It's not OSx86 that is causing you to have slow speeds. It has to be your connection, or the browser. I think you're the first to ever have this kind of problem.

Thoughts?

I think perhaps the browsers on Mac aren't quite as good (Opera & Firefox on PC vs Mac, for example), but the Mac itself is no worse at internet.

Perhaps you have a bad ISP (our old one, Tiscali, was :()

I have to say though, 1mbit isn't quite fast enough for decent video streaming

It's not OSx86 that is causing you to have slow speeds. It has to be your connection, or the browser. I think you're the first to ever have this kind of problem.

yea, or possibly a worse driver for his internet card, or possibly plecibo, then again, xp vs vista BETA the vista was ALOT slower for internet, so it is possible.

i just hope maybe its a misconfigured setting or somesuch thing that is easially fixed so you can enjoy osx86 more :(

just poke through settings and check everythings sound, and that should awnser your question

• 2 weeks later...

Tried doing what retro did, and its faster, so maybe its a onboard LAN thing which I never looked into (LAN D945 mobo).

So it has to be a bad driver?

I've been using Azureus on my Hack and I've noticed that it tends to slow my whole Lan down when I have a lot of streams going. I've also had similar experiences from time to time with other P2P clients on both platforms. I wonder if you have a P2P client that's killing your connection speed.

Make sure your upstream isn't being saturated by a process that isn't running when you're using Windows, as that will detrimentally affect your download speed.

For the record, I notice no difference in page loading speed between the two (and on this machine, OS X is clearly snappier than XP).

That said I've not tried any long downloads and compared the speeds between the two, and both systems are mediated by an OS X gateway, so who knows?