Intel SpeedStep/AMD Cool and Quiet support is here

107 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have been busy with the developers and my fellow mates working on the new AppleACPI Project. That is to create a kext that makes use of Intel SpeedStep or AMD's Cool and Quiet to cool down the CPU and to control the fans. I have also had numerous success that this kext enables the CPU to sleep and wake up [again it all depends on your luck and your computer]. So I have geared up with netkas, duddie , and macdotnub to create this. This works with netkas'/semthex/Kiko's kernel that supports Intel SpeedStep technology/AMD Cool and Quiet Technology.

It works with MacOS X 10.4.8 [intel only/8.8.1 Kernel] and MacOSX 10.4.9 [intel/AMD] [8.9.1 Kernel].

Aim : To create a kext that enables users to gain more battery life or to make their computers run cooler

System Requirements :-

1. MacOSX 10.4.9/.8 with supported SpeedStep Kernel

2. Intel® Processor with Intel SpeedStep technology or Enhanced SpeedStep technology - For Intel Processors

3. AMD Processor with AMD PowerNow! or AMD Cool and Quiet - For AMD Processors

Easy Installer [for newbies] [intel Only] : http://www.macdotnub.info

Note : [This is a stable version for Intel processors. AMD Users can install this package first and then upgrade it with the kext below]

AMD Version :- http://tinyurl.com/3cyn4h [This is only for Single Core AMD Processors that supports PowerNow!/Cool and Quiet]

AMD X2 Version :- http://duddie.kazzuya.com/proj/ACPICPUThro...osive_patch.zip [WARNING : This is highly experimental and it may or may not work with your processor]

Dynamic Intel Version [For the greatest Core2 Duo Processors. - Notice : Please use the stable kext that came with the installer before trying this] :- http://tinyurl.com/2o983e

So again , if you're looking for help and support. Its all there in the package. I highly appreciate a donation [PM me if you would like to make a PayPal Donation] as it could be used to improve the kext and finally get 2 cores to work on non-support laptops

Please PM me if you are having some kind of weird problem with the kext. Please do not PM me asking sily questions as I would not entertain or catch me @ #scripts - irc.moofspseak.net or visit our official channel @ #appleacpi , irc.osx86.hu

Oh if it works for you. Please post it together with your specs as I would be happy to know that it works for you

Known Bugs :-

1. Autoloading issue - It does not autoload on some PCs and I am working on fixing the issue

2. Lag on SSE2 Computers - Just get a SSE3 Processor, but again I am working hard to fix the timing issue

2. AMD Issues - There are some issues with AMD . If you're having any sort of problem please just post here

Thank you

Hi

I tried the easy installer...

it does not present problem, but it does not work...

BTW I have a Intel Core Duo

after the install I have the following kernel

uname -a
Darwin swen.usr.dico.unimi.it 8.9.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Mon Apr 23 16:01:03 UZT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-792.18.15/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

dmesg output is

ACPI CPU Throttle loaded
ACPICPUThrottle: Adding CPU0
ACPICPUThrottle: type=82, datalen=12, _ASI=7f, _RBW=0, _RBO=0, _ADR=0
ACPICPUThrottle: ACPI returns no ACPI throttling available
---> P0, 1660Mhz, 31000mW, 10us, 10us (ctrl=0xa2c, status=0xa2c)
---> P1, 1330Mhz, 22000mW, 10us, 10us (ctrl=0x820, status=0x820)
---> P2, 1000Mhz, 13000mW, 10us, 10us (ctrl=0x613, status=0x613)
---> P3, 65535Mhz, 4294967295mW, 255us, 255us (ctrl=0xffff, status=0xffff)
ACPICPUThrottle: Intel processor detected, family=6, model=e
ACPICPUThrottle: Using direct drive of Intel Speed Step Technology
ACPICPUThrottle: Setting CPU0 to powerstate 3
ACPICPUThrottle: rtc_cycle_count=83000000, newcount=3276750000, cutoff=50000000
ACPICPUThrottle: Throttle failed with cur_status=0xa2c, want_status=0x0!
ACPICPUThrottle: Adding CPU1
ACPICPUThrottle: Failed with code -536870212
ACPICPUThrottle: No valid CPUs returned by ACPI! It's possible your BIOS does not think your system shoul
d be throttled and therefore did not return any available power states, or maybe your CPU only supports o
ne other power state than maximum which is below 1Ghz!

so it seems to me that onlye the first core is recognized and with problems...

if I try to start the DCPUManager

it says that that probably the kext is not loaded (GetSupportedFrequency error)

I finally tried also (probably useless) to manually load the ACPICPUThrottlekext with the following resut...

sudo kextload -t ACPICPUThrottle.kext
kextload: extension ACPICPUThrottle.kext appears to be valid
kextload: kmod_control/start failed for com.OSx86Project.kext.ACPICPUThrottle; destroying kmod
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension ACPICPUThrottle.kext
load failed for extension ACPICPUThrottle.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

any ideas?

the kext loads only with cpus=1;

i guess there are some problems about FSB, because with "any" lower cpu speed all behaves like if the FSB value is too high for the current cpu speed;

on kextload up it sets the slowest throttle and mac os boots too slow, it would be better if you set the fastest speed on default

thx

I am working on it , but dont worry it will be fixed

If you're having problems with 2 cores , try with cpus=1. But again it works for core 2 duo users and pentium d. It all depends on your motherboard

I have to say that in the past I partially succeeded with a ACPICPUThrottle... (see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...865&st=140# )

the main output difference is:

ACPICPUThrottle: Throttle failed with cur_status=0x820, want_status=0x0!

instead of

ACPICPUThrottle: Throttle succeeded with cur_status=0x820, want_status=0x0!

why? in both cases the want_status is not equal to the cur_status but

in one case it is nevertheless OK and is the other not...

I remember that I didn't keep that version of ACPICPUTHr.... because:

1) it recognize only one CPU

2) It recognize only two states (the 1Ghz and below was not accepted)

3) It set the Bus Speed to 100Mhz

The problem 1) is still valid in this case

The problem 2) is partially alleviated beacuse it seem that you accpet the 1Ghz state

I don't know if the problem 3) is solved or not

I am working on it , but dont worry it will be fixed

If you're having problems with 2 cores , try with cpus=1. But again it works for core 2 duo users and pentium d. It all depends on your motherboard

I forgot to say that I tried with cpus=1 and that nothing changed in the output of ACPICPUThrottle

and for example it tries to add the CPU 1 as well even if AboutThisMac report a Core Solo CPU

Any further suggestions?

Hey Prasys, you already know I think you rock :)

Just wanted to tell others that the stable package works great and I highly recommend those with laptops to use it!

SPREAD THE ACPI LOVE :)

this sounds promising for me. i have a dell inspiron 1300 with a sse2 processor. with 10.4.8 it wouldnt wake when the lid was opened after sleeping. do you think this will sort it?

anyone with a similar issue now having a working sse2 laptop?

thanks.

Like I said It needs SpeedStep or AMD PowerNow

If not you will end up getting weird errors and kernel panic and I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IT . Celeron Ds does not even have EST and Power Management or sort. It just needs EST , thats all

hey prasys thx a lot!

It works fine on my centrino core 2 duo T5600 laptop! it changes between 1000-1333 and 1833 mhz, both cores working fine! (i'm using 10.4.9 kernel)

cores are now 54°C (where between 62 and 72 before)

The only thing that happens is "about this mac" doesn't work anymore :D, but isn't there some fix for that?

If not you will end up getting weird errors and kernel panic and I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IT . Celeron Ds does not even have EST and Power Management or sort. It just needs EST , thats all

yes but i don't have amd, the sse2 processor is a centrino with speedstep, i've tested in linux and windows and works fine, my kernell is the koolkal last one an 10.4.9, anyway i've tried with kiko's ACPICPUThrottle.kext and nothing

damn, i thought i read in an earlier post sse2 is supported with this patch. I have a celeron M, 1.5Mhz. with 10.4.8 it no longer wakes when the lid is opened. i guess there's no solution but get sse3?

:huh:

hang on, it's not celeron D that i have, it's celeron M - is there hope for me?

I've spent a couple of hours trying to determine where exactly can I get a 10.4.9 speedStep kernel. I have the first netkas kernel, so I suppose it won't work:

Darwin proteo 8.9.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Thu Mar 15 20:55:00 PST 2007; netkas:  792.18.15~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Some help, please? Trying to install with the "newbies" installer :(

[EDIT] Nevermind, I just discovered that the installer includes the necessary kernel. I think that the nº 1 requirement: "MacOSX 10.4.9/.8 with supported SpeedStep Kernel" should be "1. MacOSX 10.4.9/.8" to avoid confusion.

@Prasys

With Opteron 165.

boot with -s option:

Whith this kernel:

Darwin localhost 8.9.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Fri May 11 21:08:53 UZT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-792.18.15/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

then kextload -t ACPICPUThrottle.kext

ACPI CPU Throttle loaded

ACPICPUThrottle: Adding CPU0

---> P0, 1800Mhz, 110000mW, 100us, 9us (ctrl=0xe0202a0a, status=0x20a)

---> P1, 1000Mhz, 51600mW, 100us, 9us (ctrl=0xe0202c82, status=0x482)

ACPICPUThrottle: AMD processor detected, family=f, model=3

ACPICPUThrottle: Using direct drive of AMD K8 Cool'n'Quiet

ACPICPUThrottle: Failed to determine current system speed (no match to 2250)!

ACPICPUThrottle: Adding CPU1

---> P0, 1800Mhz, 110000mW, 100us, 9us (ctrl=0xe0202a0a, status=0x20a)

---> P1, 1000Mhz, 51600mW, 100us, 9us (ctrl=0xe0202c82, status=0x482)

ACPICPUThrottle: AMD processor detected, family=f, model=3

ACPICPUThrottle: Using direct drive of AMD K8 Cool'n'Quiet

ACPICPUThrottle: Failed to determine current system speed (no match to 2250)!

ACPICPUThrottle: No valid CPUs returned by ACPI! It's possible your BIOS does not think your system should be throttled and therefore did not return any available power states, or maybe your CPU only supports one other power state than maximum which is below 1Ghz!

i install the easy installer but i got kernel panic

can someone tell me that how can i uninstall or fix the acp?cputhrottle.kext

10.4.8 with core2duo 6600 and gigabyte-dq6

(Ok i find it ! disable the speedstep from bios and restart )

I am a bit confused on this so pardon me if this questions seem a bit basic, please humor me.

Facts:

1.) First off using version 1.2 downloaded from mac.nub

2.) Working perfectly on my desktop, not working on my laptop.

3.) It appears the kext does not load on my laptop, I get the following when I try to load manually.

kextload: kmod_control/start failed for com.OSx86Project.kext.ACPICPUThrottle; destroying kmod

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ACPICPUThrottle.kext/

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/ACPICPUThrottle.kext/

Questions:

1.) Is the Celeron M 520 CPU supported? It seems to make sense that maybe the D desktop model does not support SpeedStep, but would be very surprised if the M mobile model does not.

2.) Other then running 10.4.9 with the 8.9.1 kernel are there any other software/kext prerequisites?

3.) Would adding cpus=1 make any difference? If so where do I add that, as a kernel flag? Could you please provide the exact syntax?

4.) Is there something very simple I could be missing here that is causing the kext not to load?

You need to use cpus=1 to fix it. Dual Processor does not work atm , but we're working on it

I'm confused, the Opteron is a Dual Core processor, like those X2, or it is a Dual Processor?

On the good way :

- loads correctly, but doesn't autoload

- computer slows down (slow genie effect, etc ..)

- clock slows down too !!!!!

kernel : 8.9.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Fri May 11 21:08:53 UZT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-792.18.15/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

hardware : Gigabyte K8N-SLI, AMD 3800+ x2

Thanks for the work !