Intel SpeedStep/AMD Cool and Quiet support is here

107 posts in this topic

After having played with this kext, some more precisions :

install for AMD :

- install with the easy installer (use 10.4.9 kernel for AMD)

- replace ACPICPUThrottle.kext by the one for AMD x2 :

- cd desktop/acpi_amdx2 (the folder where you extracted the ACPICPUThrottle.kext for AMDx2)

- sudo chown -R root:wheel ACPICPUThrottle.kext

- sudo chmod -R 755 ACPICPUThrottle.kext

- sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/ACPICPUThrottle.kext (remove the one for intel)

- sudo mv ACPICPUThrottle.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

- sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

- sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

- reboot with option cpus=1

thus it seems to work with threshold not enabled (see screenshot)

if Threshold is enabled processor really cools down, but computer and clock slow down !

Can someone explain me the sense of "step up" and "step down" in the dcpu manager ?

Thanks !

!!! edit : computer's clock slows down in any case !

(hardware : Gigabyte K8N-SLI, AMD 3800+ x2)

post-18370-1179661158_thumb.png

errandwolfe answers to your questions are below.

1.) Celeron M does not support speedstep of any kind, nevermind Intel Enhanced Speedstep, so no it will not work. - "The new Celeron M 520 is a single-core 65 nm CPU based on the Merom Core 2 CPU. It has half of the L2 cache (1 MiB) of the low end Core 2 Duo (2 MiB cache) and lacks both SpeedStep and Virtualization Technology."

2.) No, apart from Intel Speedstep/Enhanced Speedstep.

3.) No, it is a single core CPU anyway and would make no difference what so ever.

4.) Yes, that the CPU does not support speedstep ;)

I am a bit confused on this so pardon me if this questions seem a bit basic, please humor me.

Facts:

1.) First off using version 1.2 downloaded from mac.nub

2.) Working perfectly on my desktop, not working on my laptop.

3.) It appears the kext does not load on my laptop, I get the following when I try to load manually.

Questions:

1.) Is the Celeron M 520 CPU supported? It seems to make sense that maybe the D desktop model does not support SpeedStep, but would be very surprised if the M mobile model does not.

2.) Other then running 10.4.9 with the 8.9.1 kernel are there any other software/kext prerequisites?

3.) Would adding cpus=1 make any difference? If so where do I add that, as a kernel flag? Could you please provide the exact syntax?

4.) Is there something very simple I could be missing here that is causing the kext not to load?

hi,

i've just installed on HacKHint in signature, it works great but if i right understanded i can change the minimum ratio with the dropbox in the bottom of DCPUManager, right?... but if I change a different minimum frequency ,es 1800, the processor go at 1000 however.

How to fix it?

Thank you, this is a very great patch B):)

hi,

installed the easy installer on jas 10.4.9 with 8.9.1 sse3 kernel from irc downloaded today (with sleep)

get an error on every start up:

dcpu manager:

"GetSupportedFrequencies: error - 1 in sysctl

Probably CPUThrottle.kext not loaded"

could somebody help me?

thx

Since update 10.4.9 and smaller changes to the system, temp of cpu's is always > 60° C, going up to 70° C and fan is heavily working and loud.

DCPUManager didn't help or change anything.

On MS Windows temp of cpu's is 42° C, going up to 55° C under heavy load.

Edit: AppleIntelCPU...kext was missing, after re-adding cpu temp stays at ~ 59°C.

Then added DCPUManager again, but didn't change much. Most time it says system is running at 1596 instead of 2396 Mhz, but cpu temp doesn't go down.

Edit2: As I got these "com_mifki_r3d3" errors, fetched a newer kernel and removed the r3d3.kext. Everything looks fine, BUT system profiler now says "Core 2 Solo" with 1 core only ...

Okie, I tried Intel SpeedStep already.

But after restart, I received this mess:

DCPUManager
GetSupportedFrequencies: error -1 in sysctl
Probably CPUThrottle.kext not loaded

Then, I still can see the program runs, but I can not enable threshold, everytime tried to enable it, I received that notice like that!

What should I do now?

:(

I don't know what are C1, C2 mean? (CPU?)

Hi,

@Robnyc

No, there's no AMD installer. Please read all the first messages and David-Olivier's "manual" way to install the AMD kext.

or

Like Prasys said :

Note : [This is a stable version for Intel processors. AMD Users can install this package first and then upgrade it with the kext below]

1) Install the Intel pkg

2) Dont't reboot at the end of the 1) process, leave it "waiting"...

3a) unzip the AMD kext archive somewhere

3b) drag&drop the AMD kext to /System/Library/Extensions directory, you should input your account password (as if you did that as
sudo
in the Terminal).

4) switch back to the Intel installer's screen, then, reboot.

@Prasys

Wether manual intallation or Intel installer/replace install, this new ACPI management won't work with my Opteron 165 on a Epox 9NPA+ (nf4 SLI, all is OK, with Tubgirl's 10.4.9).

Note that I did not dare to switch Tubgirl's 8.9.1 kernel with the one provided with you Intel package.

feline:~ zoot$ uname -a

Darwin feline 8.9.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Mon Apr 23 16:01:03 UZT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-792.18.15/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Got same message than Macgirl.

Thanx for the good work anyway, hold on. :angel:

This may sound like a stupid question, but I am using an Mobile AMD Sempron 3000+, how exactly do I install this?

I have 10.4.8 installed the kernel needed.. But I just am not sure how to install.. >_<

Thanks prasys for the nice work! I'd like to have a testing now with your Intel SpeedStep!

But I wonder Is my system (which details U can find in my signature) supported your Intel SpeedStep?

Anybody have the similar with my system try it?

:)

"Intel 3.0G, 800Hz, SSE3, HPET & non NX" really doesn't help us much... you don't give the CPU type, model etc. so there is no way for us to know if your CPU supports SpeedStep or not...

DCPUManager

Then, I still can see the program runs, but I can not enable threshold, everytime tried to enable it, I received that notice like that!

What should I do now?

:D

It means your CPU is not supported... you obviously don't have SpeedStep.

i get the same error message

nobody knows what it means?

As above, means your CPU is not supported...

is there an installer for AMD cpus ?

I'll be making one tomorrow.

This may sound like a stupid question, but I am using an Mobile AMD Sempron 3000+, how exactly do I install this?

I have 10.4.8 installed the kernel needed.. But I just am not sure how to install.. >_<

Is it that hard to read the post above yours which already answers the question?

Anyway, as I said... I will be releasing an AMD installer some time tomorrow.

~mac.nub

CODE

DCPUManager

What should I do now?

sad.gif

Thanks mac.nub

That means my system will never be accepted to run SpeedStep, rite?

Thanks mac.nub

That means my system will never be accepted to run SpeedStep, rite?

Unless you upgrade your CPU then yes that's correct.

there is an issue with dual core AMD`s.

I tryed the X2 version but it hangs after a couple of minutes (i think it`s a kernel panic or something there, haven't looked)

currently i`m using the single core version with cpus=1 option, and it works great.

I am very sorry as I have not been exactly clear in my question, but I was in a hurry with posting. What I was wondering was if the 'Mobile AMD Sempron 3000+" is supported by this, single core.

I installed the Intel installer and then didn't reboot but instead moved the AMD single core kext into the extensions folder, authenticated and overwrited the file, then rebooted as explained above. But upon reboot I got an error message that the CPU kext was not installed properly.. Thats why my question, thanks in advance, and again sorry for the previous mistake.

Thanks for reply

Could U please give me a suggest: Which is the best CPU I should upgrade to?

(The most compatible with Speedstep in my mainboard below my signature)

:unsure:

Any socket 478 Pentium 4 with SpeedStep support... check wikipedia or something to find out which support speedstep.

I am very sorry as I have not been exactly clear in my question, but I was in a hurry with posting. What I was wondering was if the 'Mobile AMD Sempron 3000+" is supported by this, single core.

Try using the AMD easy installer (available on my site - http://www.macdotnub.info) if that doen't work then your CPU is currently not supported.

~mac.nub

Tried "AMD Easy(er) Installer" on Acer A9300 with AMD Turion TL-52.

Boot with cpus=1. All seems work, but very slow. And system clock slows down.

Though, laptop cool down a bit, and sleep/wakeup functionate.

Thanks for work, Prasys. Waiting for new releases.

EDIT: Just find out that my processor don't support Cool 'n Quiet ;) used PowerNow instead. Any chances with this technology?