Apple to buy 500 million Samsung NAND flash chips; Video iPod? Robson? Tablet? All of the Above?

15 posts in this topic

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/605

According to an EE Times report (subscription required) Apple is placing an order for 500 million Samsung NAND flash chips this month. While the report claims these chips will be used in iPhones and iPods, the number seems a little optimistic, even for Apple’s hugely successful nano and shuffle music player to account for. Furthermore, the report claims these chips will be used in iPods and iPhones only from from June 2007 to December 2007, which leads to some questions…

First, while the iPhone could conceivably sell a million units, odds are to use 500 million of these chips in a 6 month period, Apple would have to sell way more than that (about 450 million more). Right now, the nano uses flash chips, but the nano would most likely also not account for that number. So, we are left wondering what all those flash chips will be used for?

Theory 1 around here is perhaps we will finally see the 6th gen flash-based video iPod, or “iPhone without the phone”, as we like to say. Sales of such a device (depending on price) would likely account for a good portion of those sales. Each of those would necessitate using at least 6 of the 4GB NAND chips to make an entry-level 24 GB flash-based video iPod, and likely as many as 10 per iPod. So the real question here is by ordering such a high volume of chips, will Apple be able to keep the price of such an iPod significantly below that of the iPhone?

Theory 2 is perhaps we are finally on the verge of seeing Apple incorporate that Robson Technology we mentioned back in 2005 into their laptop offerings, or,

Theory 3, perhaps they will be used in the long-rumored ultra-portable flash-based Mac tablet/laptops...

Wow Apple is having some fun. :-)

These are GBit chips though, so it's not as big a number as you think.

Well, if they're only 1GB chips, I doubt it's going to be a subnotebook. (Unless a very stripped down subnotebook). And it looks unlikely to be a new video iPod, because they're too small. (And to put 30 in one would cost a lot). Perhaps Apple has another completely new invention waiting for us?

Well, if they're only 1GB chips, I doubt it's going to be a subnotebook. (Unless a very stripped down subnotebook). And it looks unlikely to be a new video iPod, because they're too small. (And to put 30 in one would cost a lot). Perhaps Apple has another completely new invention waiting for us?

Must be true then (maybe) about the TOUCH SCREEN displays for programs like Final Cut, Logic that have been floating around.

Think iPhone but bigger.

IMHO, I'm not sure how that would work (arm strain) unless the monitors were FLAT on the desk, like a mixer, or someone slanted, 20 degree angle. That would work!

Must be true then (maybe) about the TOUCH SCREEN displays for programs like Final Cut, Logic that have been floating around.

Think iPhone but bigger.

IMHO, I'm not sure how that would work (arm strain) unless the monitors were FLAT on the desk, like a mixer, or someone slanted, 20 degree angle. That would work!

There could be some combination of the both with the touch screens. Think about it, perhaps a dual screen system, a low one, or a higher one, or both. I've been wondering about the arm strain issue, but, Final cut and logic with touch screen would be INSANE.

There could be some combination of the both with the touch screens. Think about it, perhaps a dual screen system, a low one, or a higher one, or both. I've been wondering about the arm strain issue, but, Final cut and logic with touch screen would be INSANE.

Yeah, I'm thinking more likly a 30 degree slant and then, when you go to turn a dial say on a plug in, like the "DOCK" it magnifies UP bigtime so you can turn it like a real know. That would be sick. Would also have to develop some sort of glass covering that can be replaced at a low cost, something sturdy yet touch sensative.

Think about how easy it "should" be to do, right now, touch your LCD screen and it knows your finger is there.

This should/would be very cool!

superhai is right. They want them for existing products. Any new devices with these stuff in them will be hella expensive, seeing as they'd need SO MANY per device. Another possibility is incorporating them in they're Macbook (Pro) lines to increase boot times, etc. A few of those chips in their laptops and they'd be all set!

superhai is right. They want them for existing products. Any new devices with these stuff in them will be hella expensive, seeing as they'd need SO MANY per device. Another possibility is incorporating them in they're Macbook (Pro) lines to increase boot times, etc. A few of those chips in their laptops and they'd be all set!

Exactly, put part of the OS into these chips (perhaps mac_kernel), and have it sort of preload/cache some code into that area that's important to the system, and boot times will be almost nonexistant.