10.3 or 10.4 on 400mhz iMac?

Mebster

12 posts in this topic

I've got a old iMac G3 400mhz 384MB Memory, which i brought simply to get used to an OS X system which 'just worked' before I pay £900 for a MacBook.

Now it's only 400mhz but I was wondering if anyone knows (from experience or directly reading about something similar) which out of 10.3 or 10.4 would run faster and by how much?

A lot of people have said 10.3 but it does sound like they just think that would make sense and so say so rather than actually knowing.

I just need to pick one soon and try and stick with it so if you guys could throw in some experiences it would be great.

The main question is really the "by how much" part because I'm sure you need to sacrifice some features when you drop to 10.3 from 1.4 and just need to know that the extra speed increase is worth the drop.

Also the main difference I've noticed between 10.4 and 10.3 is that 10.4 has Dashboard.

Also a weird thing I noticed is that apple update takes only a few minutes on 10.4 whereas it takes like 10-20minutes on 10.3 to update the same applications. . Could not figure out why.

Anyone know what the other differences between 10.3 and 10.4 are (and noticed the apple update issue)?

Also the "by how much" part too please.

I've actually read that 10.3 runs way better than 10.4 on a machine like yours. I recently acquired a 366mhz iBook (Clamshell/Firewire) with around 384mb ram aswell, and I was using 10.3 for a few months, after actually taking the risk to do a clean install to 10.4 and upgrade it all the way to 10.4.9.

Now, everything works like a charm. The only thing that's too slow to "enjoy" is the dashboard. But Expose, iTunes, Safari, you name it, all works. :angel:

EDIT: Also, a lot of software these days seem to require 10.4, so that was one of the reasons I upgraded. I didn't really notice any major speed change when comparing 10.3 and 10.4 though.

I've had 10.4 running on a Blueberry iMac G3 400 MHZ, with 320MB RAM, since Tiger came out. I say if you have the HD space, use Tiger for it.

Cool, thanks all. I'm going to start with 10.4 and maybe in the summer give give 10.3 a try for a week or two just to see the difference.