Apple delays Leopard until October

12 posts in this topic

From TUAW:

"Apple has just issued a press release announcing that Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard has been delayed until October. The reason? iPhone: "we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS® X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned." However, Apple will still be displaying a "feature complete" version of Leopard at June's WWDC event, and will be giving beta versions for developers to take home and help put the finishing touches on.

This is a pretty significant announcement, especially considering that Apple has fallen under criticism as of late for dropping 'Computer' from their name and seemingly shifting their focus from computers to consumer devices such as the iPod, Apple TV and now Mac OS X-delaying iPhone. In a way though, I'm not surprised either, as a number of Mac OS X developers have expressed disbelief that Apple was going to hit a June release with Leopard in its currently buggy and fairly unfinished state.

On the bright side, this hopefully can be taken as a sign that Apple is still committed to releasing quality software, even if slightly late this time around. The company could simply have shipped in June and issued 'Service Pack 1' later to patch all the gaping holes their customers found. But that wouldn't be very Apple, would it?"

I guess I can go blow that $120 I was saving.

This sucks.

This really pisses me off :angry: I put off buying my MBP wanting to get a copy of Leopard with it. Well I guess there is no point in waiting now because I can't wait till October. I guess it looks like I will be downloading a pirated version of Leopard in October :):P

@Technobob: Maybe you should wait three more days. Rumors are that Apple will present a new MBP on April, 15th (along with other things). But it's only rumors, as I type this on my MBP C2D I hope they won't update it, because otherwise I see myself WANTING the new one, already! LOL

Rumors are that Apple will present a new MBP on April, 15th (along with other things).

Hmm..really? Where did you get this info from? I have google news subscribed to Macbook Pro...and I got everything but this news. I still cant find this April 15th date. :rolleyes:

I am planning to buy a macbook pro this june thinking leopard will be preinstalled by then, but.... i think it still good news, i will not be disposing my macbook sooner... and tiger is such a reliable os still..

@Technobob: Maybe you should wait three more days. Rumors are that Apple will present a new MBP on April, 15th (along with other things). But it's only rumors, as I type this on my MBP C2D I hope they won't update it, because otherwise I see myself WANTING the new one, already! LOL

check any rumors site and they all say that final cut studio will be updated, possibly mac pros and possible mac book pros. i wouldnt buy before tomorrow just in case.