[How To] Dual-head Dual-boot Silent BadAxe2/Core2Duo/GeForce 7600/10.4.9 Build

gdog

105 posts in this topic

Finally got around to running xbench on the disks (Seagate SATA 320), I'm getting roughly the same low performance as the other posts I've seen with this board. I noticed some slowness when copying a large file between disks (which prompted me to run the xbench disk test) - the activity monitor showed the max read/write speed topping out at 30 mb/s which doesn't seem very good considering what SATA should be able to do.

Results 59.13

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.10 (8R2232)

Physical RAM 4096 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type ST3320620AS

Disk Test 59.13

Sequential 85.87

Uncached Write 160.91 98.80 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 143.89 81.41 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 37.11 10.86 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 154.47 77.64 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 45.09

Uncached Write 16.38 1.73 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 101.44 32.48 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 91.24 0.65 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 146.52 27.19 MB/sec [256K blocks]

• 2 weeks later...
Since "sleep" doesn't work on Hackintoshes, you should go back into System Preferences, choose Energy Saver, and slide the "Put the computer to sleep" slider all the way to the right.

Sleep does work with my build. Clicking the mouse or hitting the space bar wakes the computer but it then "looses" the keyboard and mouse. Unpluging the keyboard then plugging it back in restores the keyboard and mouse (no hassle really as it's connected at the front). Otherwise sleep behaves excactly the same as on my Mac.

Has anyone else tried sleeping their systems? I have disabled EIST and C1E in the bios which might be why it works?

Sleep does work with my build. Clicking the mouse or hitting the space bar wakes the computer but it then "looses" the keyboard and mouse. Unpluging the keyboard then plugging it back in restores the keyboard and mouse (no hassle really as it's connected at the front). Otherwise sleep behaves excactly the same as on my Mac.

Has anyone else tried sleeping their systems? I have disabled EIST and C1E in the bios which might be why it works?

Well I'll be!

I just did a sleep, waited about 15 seconds, moved my mouse, and the system came back on. Mouse and keyboard are working too, didn't need to re-plug.

This *definitey* didn't work in the past... maybe it's something to do with the 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 updates.

Thanks for challenging the status-quo and bringing this to light!

Mike

gdog, can you test your audio following wake from sleep?

I'm considering a BadAxe2 - my current setup is fine but on wake from sleep audio is garbled (except when playing from iTunes which comes out clearly - very strange).

Audio is working for me after resuming from sleep.

I've started playing with Kalyway Leopard beta 9a527 on this config, but I can't get the Natit drivers working, which means no dual-display. Anyone else experimenting with this yet?

I haven't tried gdog, did you load it on another sata drive or the same one you have for Tiger? I have a single display and natit .02 with Tiger. I have a spare Raptor that I'd like to try to load it on. Not sure If I need to have only one HD attached while loading OSX?

I haven't tried gdog, did you load it on another sata drive or the same one you have for Tiger? I have a single display and natit .02 with Tiger. I have a spare Raptor that I'd like to try to load it on. Not sure If I need to have only one HD attached while loading OSX?

My first try I installed on a new partition on my main SATA drive. I ended up clobbering the darwin boot loader and couldn't load my Tiger OS any more. Oops!

Then I installed on an IDE disk, with my SATA unplugged just to be safe.

Thanks, I can't seem to boot off the second SATA drive that I installed the OSX on. It always goes to the first drive (OSX installed when this was the only drive) whether I have the boot order changed in the bios or not.

Geiiga,

make sure you have only one IDE drive connected ie. the dvd drive. for some reason if you have two IDE connected the install disk will not boot.

for sata, AHCI or IDE should be fine. i think i installed using AHCI and then swiched to IDE, if i remember correctly.

AHCI is suppose to be faster, but on my tests IDE was faster.

make sure you connect the sata to the black connectors, not blue.

I can confirm this aswell! You have no idea how long it took to figure this out! For a while I thought I had bad boot disks..

Hi Guys,

I did try the tutorial but unfortunately I screwed when I lost power while updating the BIOS. Now I am left with a system that does not budge to Boot up. I would be very grateful if somebody can help me with some way that i might be able to recover the system.

I also tried the Recovery of the BIOS with a Bootable CD with the .BIO file but it does not seem to respond, all it does is that it keeps restarting the machine (I guess) but since the BIOS is $%$@ed up i am not able to view the error as well. Please let me know any which way i can recover from this stage...

My Config is a BAD AXE2 with a C2D6000 with 2 GB ram and a 250 GB hard disk.

Plzzzzzzzz Help me !!!

TT

I've started playing with Kalyway Leopard beta 9a527 on this config, but I can't get the Natit drivers working, which means no dual-display. Anyone else experimenting with this yet?

Any luck with Leopard yet?

I bought the hardware gdog used and followed his guide to a succesful install and upgrade to 10.4.9. Thanks a lot gdog for your time in writing the guide.

Only problem: I upgraded to 10.4.10 using the Koolkat upgrade and my lan has stopped working. Any suggestions from the bright folk that make up this community?

I bought the hardware gdog used and followed his guide to a succesful install and upgrade to 10.4.9. Thanks a lot gdog for your time in writing the guide.

Only problem: I upgraded to 10.4.10 using the Koolkat upgrade and my lan has stopped working. Any suggestions from the bright folk that make up this community?

I never tried the Koolkat 10.4.10. The one I used (mentioned on page 3 of this thread) the networking is fine.

I've tried a few of the Leopards out there with no success yet. Anyone else?

I've tried a few of the Leopards out there with no success yet. Anyone else?

O.K. This is what I got so far.

ToH release installed and followed instructions to fix boot.

Diskutil to repair permissions.

Change to the latest kernel found on irc...

Up and running great.

Still need to find a video driver for my XFX 7600GS that works.

Haven't tried audio yet.

Any help on those would be great.

I plan on building something similar.My only problem is that I want to use my ozonic firewire interface with it.

I see that there is no firewire in this.How can I add firewire to a system like this.Is it possible and if so rock solid????

I'm running the onboard firewire and an external port via the onboard connector for 2 x FW400 ports just fine

• 3 weeks later...

I just got around to trying firewire (onboard) and it works fine for me. That means the only thing I know of that's not working is microphone-in. Still on 10.4.10.

I've read a few posts from people claiming success with BadAxe2 and Leopard, so I'm going to give it another try this week.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, I tried both iATKOS and Kalyway's new 10.5.1 releases over the last couple days.

iATKOS: Tried installing several times, with different settings. Was never able to get the boot loader working (yes, I followed the instructions). Booting from DVD and then loading the OS from disk (rd=disk0s1) I was able to boot into Leopard, but couldn't get dual-displays working, or get resolution other than 1024x768 (tried both Natit and NVinject). Gave up and tried...

Kalyway: Worked perfectly on first try. HD boot loader worked fine (I chose MBR), both displays were recognized at correct 1600x1200 resolution on initial boot. I ran the HDApatcher for audio and everything is great! This is with vanilla kernel and EFI.

Happy happy!

• 3 months later...

sauria, as gdog wrote he used Kalyway install for leopard and it worked.

gdog did you have to install windows again?

my question is, has anyone updated to EFI and Leopard without erasing the hard drive that used the gdog instructions to install 10.4?

also has anyone used the real retail leopard to do a clean install without erasing and have it work?