Is Apple TV worth to buy with 480p 4:3 screen?

TvvqKMZ72bsklauw5

12 posts in this topic

I wanted to know because I have a old Sony 46" "tube" TV that supports 480i, 480p, and 1080i. It's 4:3 and yet Apple TV is specified for Widescreen use. Is it possible to use it for this type of TV and is it WORTH it for this type of TV?

For anyone else with nicer TVs, do you think it was worth it for Apple TV?

Apple TV doesn't require a widescreen or HD TV, it just requires component on the TV, it can be a 480i 4:3

Is this something people have discovered and posted about, because the apple specs do not mention 480i support, if it did work it would be news. As far as I know it does require at least 480p to funtion, and there is no mention of 4:3 compatability (meaning I don't think it will letterbox the image for you)

from apple.com

------

TV compatibility

Enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen TVs capable of 1080i 60/50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 576p 50Hz (PAL format), or 480p 60Hz

Well, I think the Apple TV lost all interest to me when I discovered that it couldn't run on all TV's.

It's a waste - definitely a shame for Apple. I'm waiting for the normal TV cables - then I'll be happy. :unsure:

You say that your TV supports 480p: there's a start!

Okay, a quick Google search found this page. I quote:

There are some drawbacks to Apple TV. It won't work with most older TV sets, the square kind that aren't capable of handling widescreen programming. And it works only with TVs that have the newer types of connectors, such as "component" jacks, and the new HDMI cables being used on most high-definition TVs. It works best with high-definition TVs, and it puts out video in high-definition resolutions. But it will also work with "enhanced definition" widescreen sets.

So now the question is: can your 46" TV handle widescreen images? And does it have component video (the 5 cables: 3 for video, 2 for audio)?

-Urby

judging by the difference between the screen of it set at 480i and the video that's up which shows the resolution menu widescreen, I'd say the 480i mode stretches the picture vertically to fill the screen, because the text definetly looks somewhat distorted.

-Urby

If ya media library currently or eventually solely or even mainly consists of stuff you BOUGHT from iTunes, then get AppleTV. Otherwise I'd stick with a XBMC/XBOX to drive ya 4:3 TV. It can do everything AppleTV can do (except play protected/DRM media from iTunes) and more. I had XBMC initially driving my HDTV, but moved it to my 480p 4:3 TV in the bedroom after seeing it doesn't playback half-HD and HD media well. I then built a HTPC for the HDTV using Vista Media Center. Most of my media is non-HD so XBMC isn't obsolete.

Also if you plan on getting a HDTV display, then get the AppleTV.