512Mb nVidia FIX - DONE !

gotoh

64 posts in this topic

Thanks,

I've seen the posts on macvidia. And I've seen there were some ROMS. But my card is a "no-name" one. Will I have to do it myself ? Or do you think I could use one of the two ROMS I've seen there ?

I'm little afraid to do it. I have no floppy. So If I have to re-flash it to restore the old working bios...

I have a GeForce 7600GS AGP card that i can not get working with qe/ci and dual screens. I am either: 1) going to return the card to best buy and get a different working card. 2) Help test then return if broken.

:P

Hurry up only got 2 more days to piddle with this.

• 1 month later...

some card don't need this fix, because their BIOS is already correctly set for 512Mb in softstraps. The very first 512Mb card I tested had it, that's what gave me the idea to check what was not working for other cards (it was a Gainward 7800GT 512Mb Golden Sample, a really nice card)

some card don't need this fix, because their BIOS is already correctly set for 512Mb in softstraps. The very first 512Mb card I tested had it, that's what gave me the idea to check what was not working for other cards (it was a Gainward 7800GT 512Mb Golden Sample, a really nice card)

How difficult is it for someone to create a utility to run under osx which pings the GPU ROM and lets you know if you need to patch or not?

Thanks.

How difficult is it for someone to create a utility to run under osx which pings the GPU ROM and lets you know if you need to patch or not?

Thanks.

it depends on your programming skills. Also the problem is how are you going to run it in OS X when you can't reach the finder because your 512Mb card is not fixed yet ?

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, I had to flash my Geforce XFX 7300 GT 512, -- and it works! Full everything, dual screen, rotation, etc.etc....

The Macvideia website was the key. Someone had a fixed rom for the 7300 GT and I used that. Took a while to create a bootable flashdisk ( no floppy). But I got it done. The flash worked on the first try. Used a second video card on the system as recommended. Installed Natit Dual, Diabolik and the rest is history.....

• 2 months later...

Just an update, like i said i had the 7600GS 512. Well i fixed the bios and reflashed, it now works perfect on an install from the jas 10.4.8 sse2-sse3 dvd. Full gfx support and all resolutions! Thanks for the info and if anyone wants a copy of my fixed bios or wants theirs fixing, let me know.

Just an update, like i said i had the 7600GS 512. Well i fixed the bios and reflashed, it now works perfect on an install from the jas 10.4.8 sse2-sse3 dvd. Full gfx support and all resolutions! Thanks for the info and if anyone wants a copy of my fixed bios or wants theirs fixing, let me know.

I would like that very much actually

i have a 512 just going to waste

can you tell me where to get the bios, and how to flash it onto my card?

i have an evga geforce 7600gs 512mb.

btw, i REALLY wish macvidia would come back online :(

can you tell me where to get the bios, and how to flash it onto my card?

i have an evga geforce 7600gs 512mb.

btw, i REALLY wish macvidia would come back online :)

1. Dump your own rom with nvflash utility. (Has to be in dos, use an old 98 boot floppy)

2. Run nvflash --compare <original.rom> should check ok, if not re-dump.

3. Copy the original rom for safe measure.

4. Edit the rom with a hex editor.

5. write down the hex numbers contained within addresses 5a to 5b and swap them round.

6. subtract 1 from the first swapped number and 80 from the second number (hex goes from 1-9 and then a-f, so for example, 80 subtracted from e4 would be 64. Now swap the numbers round again and you're done with those 2.

7. Do the same for the hex numbers contained within 5e to 5f, but add instead of subtract.

8. Now replace the original hex numbers with your adjusted hex numbers and save the rom.

9. Use nvflash --eraseeeprom to erase your original rom on the card.

10. Next do nvflash --index=0 -4 -5 -6 -j <edited.rom>

11. When it's finished flashing check it with nvflash --compare <edited.rom>

12. Only when its says ok, do you reboot.

All this is in another thread but i though i'd try and make it a bit more simple. Hey, i'm not the sharpest tool myself but i managed it

I wouldn't risk using someone else's rom.

1. Dump your own rom with nvflash utility. (Has to be in dos, use an old 98 boot floppy)

2. Run nvflash --compare <original.rom> should check ok, if not re-dump.

3. Copy the original rom for safe measure.

4. Edit the rom with a hex editor.

5. write down the hex numbers contained within addresses 5a to 5b and swap them round.

6. subtract 1 from the first swapped number and 80 from the second number (hex goes from 1-9 and then a-f, so for example, 80 subtracted from e4 would be 64. Now swap the numbers round again and you're done with those 2.

7. Do the same for the hex numbers contained within 5e to 5f, but add instead of subtract.

8. Now replace the original hex numbers with your adjusted hex numbers and save the rom.

9. Use nvflash --eraseeeprom to erase your original rom on the card.

10. Next do nvflash --index=0 -4 -5 -6 -j <edited.rom>

11. When it's finished flashing check it with nvflash --compare <edited.rom>

12. Only when its says ok, do you reboot.

All this is in another thread but i though i'd try and make it a bit more simple. Hey, i'm not the sharpest tool myself but i managed it

I wouldn't risk using someone else's rom.

thanks! now i'll work on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same card (7600 GS 512) can you send me yours fixed bios ?

Is that card became an 7300 GT after flashed (i had this when i flashed it with an another rom)

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...