system 7 on pc?

Lkr

34 posts in this topic

absolutely incredible!

Thats what I said! It really is amazing what photoshop can do these days... :thumbsdown_anim:

Look familiar?

Macintosh_System_7.png

As far as that file goes, .dd sounds like diskdoubler, so Ill have to get that running again on my old mac.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This topic having been dead for quite sometime, ResX - how did you make out on the extraction? Ever get around to it? Did it ever get uploaded anywhere? Is there any chance of even just circulating the file as is for others to potentially extract? I realize your screenshot is photoshoped, am I possibly overlooking this filename of macosinteldemo.dd also being photoshopped, etc?

Appreciate your response as to what the current word is on this. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
no

as they are all ppc

unless you want to run it through pearPC

actually back before Steve Jobs came back and Apple was exploring Clones, they managed to get a very specific pc and a heavily modded System 7 install to boot and run. Looked identical to a 68k Mac

actually back before Steve Jobs came back and Apple was exploring Clones, they managed to get a very specific pc and a heavily modded System 7 install to boot and run. Looked identical to a 68k Mac

I never considered the fact of actually adding in the clones era to the equation of variables - smart thinking - that would make sense and suppot why Apple would even both trying a PC-clone in the first place too.

Out of curiousity - does anyone know if any one on the board works at Apple as a day job? Maybe don't post back any names to this thread for obvious security reasons, but PM them, I'm just curious to ask a few in general questions such as litterature perse in a potential Apple Archives room - Marklar Panther being another thought, this and that. Nothing to risk getting anyone in trouble of course.

Cheers!

• 6 months later...

Sorry if I'm off track here, (I can't create my own topics :thumbsup_anim: ) but I have gotten my hands on some OS 7.5.3 floppy images, and I have no idea what to do with them. I have SoftMac, but I'm a little confused as to how I should mount the floppies. Well, it seems like straight up mounting them doesn't work. (It has a problem with my BIOS ROM as well, saying Unable to install ROM when using a Quadra rom)

Thanks for any help.

TGP1994 - your inquiry is irrelevant and off-topic to this particular 'system 7/pc' thread, as this one is pertaining to the Codename Star Trek project of running System 7 natively on a x86 based machine without Windows and without an emulator such as "SoftMac [eww-hate saying that word]", and Fusion-PC, Basilisk II, etc.

What you need to do though - is get a completely different emulator for starters - SoftMac is {censored}, ditch it. Grab Basilisk II, or Fusion if you prefer DOS enviornments, B2 has a GUI to it that's a Win32 based App so that'll probably be easiest on you.

Secondly - you need to follow this guide. If you have any troubles with anything at all, feel free to PM me for assistance. I'm not always on Insanely - but I do have e-mail notifications enabled, and constantly check my Gmail.

Back to the topic at hand now, did 3rd party developers ever receive such a thing as a Sys7 SDK or sample source code that might shed any wisdom or thought-trains or info on the thread topic itself at hand? Better yet, expand that question to any Classic system version. :unsure:

TGP1994 - your inquiry is irrelevant and off-topic to this particular 'system 7/pc' thread

Believe me, I would have made my own topic if I could have. If you ask me, making it so new people can create new topics only after five posts will only lead to offtopic posts like mine, more than anything else. But back onto my own topic... (:()

What you need to do though - is get a completely different emulator for starters - SoftMac is {censored}, ditch it. Grab Basilisk II, or Fusion if you prefer DOS enviornments, B2 has a GUI to it that's a Win32 based App so that'll probably be easiest on you.

Anything other than SoftMac sounds good to me. Although, it seems like Basilisk II is near-dead, since a lot of links I followed for it are down. I did manage to get my hands on a version of it, so I will give it a try.

And thank you very much for the option of PMing you, I don't get that from a lot of people.