10.4.9 AMD Test 1

immunity

98 posts in this topic

Works like a charm for me! thanks tubgirl!

And a strange thing, my fsb needs to be set at 160-162 for audio to work right and for my proc speed to be detected almost correctly (2.4 to 2.42 on 10.4.9 instead of 2.41 on 10.4.8 and XP)

I update my VMware 10.4.8 installation with this, I am using the netkas amd X2 kernel.

My issues are these:

Networking is not working working now

Sound icon disappeared

System Profiler on Harware section displays: There was an error gathering this information Copied the SPPlatformReporter.spreporter from my 10.4.8 installation and now work fine

Now on Native install these issues:

I have Sound Sttutering but Sound icon works with FSB=125 ok

In both installations CPU shows as 1 core only instead of 2 or HT It shows 2 cores with netkas x2 1 core disabled kernel (are they misfiled?)

System Profiler says the same error on Harware section Copied the SPPlatformReporter.spreporter from my 10.4.8 installation and now work fine

I tried the update based on this image: JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4. 8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.S SE3.PPF.1.Defiant. diskutil.biker880. ich7-R.patch.Integrated. This images has enough problems already, like a defective disk utility, no nForce 4 SATA and a lot more. I installed it on my Test System partition, applied the update and rebooted. At the first reboot I got the same error like xevean in Post #12. I replaced these kexts:

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

using my main boot partition. After this I could boot in 10.4.9, but with a long pause 'diskarb not finished yet'. But the results were disappointing: My FX-55 was detected as CPU 2.61 GHz unknown in 'About this Mac'. ok, this is a common problem. But there's more: My Xbench scores cpu only went from about 90 on 10.4.7 down to 72 on 10.4.9 ;) No OpenGL at all (X1600pro PCI-e, working perfectly with borisbadenow patch), overall score (without disk) from 130 to 99. The Kernel was shown in System Profiler still as 8.8.1. If there's nothing better yet, I'll stay with myzars 10.4.7, no other image I had was so perfect like this. Sad that's not to find in the net anymore, I got my version from eMule.

I'll think there's something going wrong with OSx86: We lost the Apple-Style simplicity. There was one operating system, not more. OSx86 is going more and more the Linux way: dozens of images with a lot of patches, much more updates from various sources, anyone has another image and another update. Isn't it possible that all the developers could work together and don't do their own stuff all the time? And before there are new updates, old problems of other images should be corrected first. Look in my thread to get a list of the 10.4.8 image's errors and a wish list what some users want to have in a possible 10.4.9 image. Write your own if you have some.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=45557

GreetinX from the other Side!

I have installed the uupdate from tubgirl, after installing run the v3.command for kernel liveupdate, repair permissions, reboot, everything works fine, about this mac shows me 10.4.9. systemprofiler works too and its 8.9.1 kernel, thanks to tubgirl

harry

I'll think there's something going wrong with OSx86: We lost the Apple-Style simplicity. There was one operating system, not more. OSx86 is going more and more the Linux way: dozens of images with a lot of patches, much more updates from various sources, anyone has another image and another update. Isn't it possible that all the developers could work together and don't do their own stuff all the time? And before there are new updates, old problems of other images should be corrected first.

I agree. I never noticed how chaotic the OSx86 developer scene was until I started researching the steps that it would take to get a 10.4.9 system to run at the moment. Right now I'm running the original 10.4.8 AMD SSE3 JaS release and I've *NEVER* had problems with it. I've never used any of the Apple auto-updates on it either, for fear that I might screw things up. If it's not broken, don't fix it, right? On the other hand, I would really love to take part in any updates that come out (just for a performance boost maybe), so I've been anxiously awaiting this 10.4.9 release...but so far it just doesn't look reliable enough. Too many "quick" fixes. We need JaS to come back with a "REAL" 10.4.9 release. So far he's done it for the Intel CPUs, but us AMD'ers are still waiting around for something that we don't have to pour hours of time into just to get working. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much grateful for all of the hard work the other developers (ie. Tubgirl) are doing for this project, but if it means waiting another week to get a JaS release, I'd much rather do that...or even if it takes longer than that ;)

So you can see how different it is... I had a minimum of 8 images, beginning from 10.4.4. But the only one running perfectly on my AMD nForce 3 and 4 machines was myzars 10.4.6 image, I always had problems with JaS images. What is tubgirl's image and where's to find it? Seems so that no other images as the one from JaS are in the net now. Not good...

I believe all of tubgirl's images are available on T.P.B. Not sure which one you're looking for specifically, but they have the "OSX 1048 AMD FINAL" image as well as the 10.4.9 test. Try looking there again. It's a bit tricky because their search engine really sucks, but you should find it.

I'll think there's something going wrong with OSx86: We lost the Apple-Style simplicity. There was one operating system, not more. OSx86 is going more and more the Linux way: dozens of images with a lot of patches, much more updates from various sources, anyone has another image and another update. Isn't it possible that all the developers could work together and don't do their own stuff all the time?

Apple-style simplicity? There would be no apple on regular pc's, period, without the test work from semthex, jas, myzar, and all the others.

There is still only one OSX, but it has been 'convinced' to install and run on non-apple hw.

Those different images we get are work in progress, and different people have different concerns; myzar releases for example make sure for amd compatibility. His releases have always been more stable with my system, and they are as 'real' as JaS's.

I'm sure these different hackers exchange informations and somehow work together.

Since amd requires more and/or different tweakings, it's normal that someone who concentrate on amd release test builds/patches for amd, that otherwise wouldn't be required for intels which are in great majority. And this was clearly identified as a 'Test' package release, for debugging purposes.

Wait for final builds if you don't want to test intermediate builds.

If TPB's search engine isn't adequate, use Google with advanced search, putting tpb's domain name in the right place.

Sure, there's only one OS X. But a lot more of OSx86's. Or why does nearly everyone has another image running? There was some 'first' Linux sometimes ago, but today? And they're not compatible in everything. The same is in OSx86: Try to install a JaS' 10.4.7 update on myzars 10.4.6 image. I got such a Mega-Crash, you wouldn't believe it.

I think the whole OSx86 thing needs a 'reformation', before it's too late. Imagine you're a newbie and you're trying to find your specified hardware in the wiki. This is very frustrating. Finding patches for drivers is similar difficult cause the forum is already very big now. There were somewhere some single topics where links to driver patches of the same type were listed, network, audio... that is great. We need something like this directly in the forum's controls. The install images should get only ONE name, like MacOS_x86_10.4.x_InstallDisc, and an unique Build number. So everyone would knew what image he is using, and it would be easier to create ppf patches for them. But this will only work if the developers (don't say hackers anymore, the guys don't deserve it) will find a real working way to exchange knowledge. A lot of them have their own webpages, like Semthex, Joblo10 and more. They should get a developers-only forum where no other people have access to. That would maybe a first step to a reunion.

GreetinX from the Other Side!

'hacker' isn't a pejorative word, at least not in this context. In the present context were they are working against Apple's wish not to port OSX to non-Apple hardware, the term is exact.

As for the JaS/Myzar images difference, a simple rule: keep myzar updates for myzar installs, and JaS updates for JaS installs. That doesn't mean that one cannot be used for the other, but your example hinted at what are the risks.

Although myzar images can work on intels, and jas images on amds, it was my understanding that jas was himself only on intel, and myzar only on amd (unless the situation has since changed); and although they each have testers on the other platform, it is clear to me which image will be more stable on which platform in general.

And since amd platform has less hackintosh users (if i assume same proportion as in pc users), i am grateful there's a developer (:)) out there which will concentrate on amd peculiarities (which solutions could end up in the intel image eventually anyway), and thus a specific (line of) image(s) that I know will have amd's in mind.

As for information on InsanelyMac, it's true that the wiki can be hard to navigate, and Rammjett's stickies in the GeniusBar subforum is a great idea and surely saved a lot of time for lots of people.

Also it doesn't seem the wiki isn't as much frequented as it should be, since there's so much questions asked in the forum that are answered in the wiki : i don't know how often i've given a direct link to a topic in the osx86 wiki, a lot.

I guess we could, as users, edit the wiki and refresh it... but it could be quite a sensitive subject to, say, remove old info about the deadmoo image of long ago. Who's got the right?

Both of you guys are making some very good points. I've only gone with JaS for my OSx86 needs, but all of this talk makes me wonder how well the other developers have done on their releases. Speaking of which, I don't know if I can totally agree with this statement:

Although myzar images can work on intels, and jas images on amds, it was my understanding that jas was himself only on intel, and myzar only on amd (unless the situation has since changed); and although they each have testers on the other platform, it is clear to me which image will be more stable on which platform in general.

JaS has definitely had a hand in the 10.4.8 AMD release...you can see my signature below for proof on that :) Again, I haven't tried anyone else's release, but of course I don't need to because the JaS 10.4.8 AMD release is rock solid for me (aside from a SMB patch I had to use). But like I said, it would be interesting to check out the releases by Myzar and the others.

I do agree with Naquaada that there needs to be some unification happening here so things don't get totally out of control, but I don't know if I would compare it to Linux, since Linux builds are generally used for different things, thus necessitating different releases by different developers. On the other hand, I myself am not a developer of OSx86, and therefore have no clue as to how complicated it would be to work together on one solid release that works for all AMD users. I just think it's awesome that SOMEONE is doing something so that we can run OSX on our PC boxes, regardless of how hard it can be at times. :)

Cheers to the developers!

-Agra

One other thing I noticed...

After replacing 10.4.8 system.kext with the 10.4.9 version, repairing permissions and deleting the stuff from /etc/rc from here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry326950)

I can mount images fine!

The 10.4.9 version was in a separate folder (Extensions_10.4.9 disabled)

So another thing to try for those who are having issues with mounting images...

Just to add a little pepper to the soup:

I exhaustively installed every known "enabler" for my ATI and NVidia cards under JaS on my AMD SSE3 rig but they would never be recognized as AGP. Also, a few applications simply refuse to work like ie: Guitar Pro 5, iCal and there were some mayor problems with my network card.

I was completely unaware of a substancial difference between JaS's and tubgirls release (regarding AMD vs Intel boxes) until I recently installed tubgirl's 1048 and everything worked out of the box. And I mean everything! Now my video cards are recognized as AGP and my OpenGL speed has DOUBLED.

If you have an AMD and your system is not working 100%, give tubgirl's release a chance.

Cheers,

hecker

@kramer2k:

After replacing 10.4.8 system.kext with the 10.4.9 version, repairing permissions and deleting the stuff from /etc/rc from here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry326950)
The link is broken!

I had joblo10's AGPGart running on my X1600Pro AGP using JaS 10.4.8 (with 2 patches), but it's not worth it. Xbench gfx speed was about 39 recognized as PCI, about 44 with AGPGart. AGPGart 1.6 was great, I got PCIe-like results, but no CI/QE and the driver wasn't loaded anymore after the next reboot.

I finished downloading Tubgirl's 10.4.8 yesterday and will try to install it today. Wish me luck!

GreetinX from the Other Side!

I cannot seem to get past the loginwindow fail, I tried using the AMD one from netkas site but still get a load of errors, any ideas?

Check if your r3d3.kext loads correctly... if not start with -s, mount the drive r/w and do

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

then try again.

I cannot seem to get past the loginwindow fail, I tried using the AMD one from netkas site but still get a load of errors, any ideas?

did you rename the original loginwindow.amd to loginwindow, and then Replace that file with the loginwindow IN loginwindow.app?

confused yet? :(

K

kramer2k

Yes I did, just deleted the loginwindow in windowlogin.app/Contents/MacOS and then put loginwindow.amd one in the same place and called it loginwindow.

coolbits

Seems to load and the permission for that folder are that anyway.

ok, the problem was I replaced the wrong loginwindow, I replace the one inside loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS when I should have done the one inside loginwindow.app.

So, here are my experiences with tubgirl's 10.4.8. image.

The installation went well, the optional installation menu was different. After reboot there was no nForce 4 SATA, I had to replace with the 10.4.7 ones. In the System Profiler the computer model and name changed from 'ADP2.1/Apple Developer Platform' to 'ACPI/Mac'. If I open the 'Startvolume' preferences pane it doesn't quit unexpectedly, it shows in the list a folder icon 'Windows, Unknown on: .Windows MCE' (the .dot before the name is ok). But the computer freezes, I can move the mouse cursor but no icon or keyboard stroke (f.e. Win-Alt-Esc) works. Xbench results were OK, but disk tests seemed to be a bit slower.

After configuration and backup I installed the 10.4.9 update. It hangs about 80%, I could move the mouse cursor again but nothing more, no disk access and so on. After reset machine booted with a long pause 'diskarb not finished yet'. CPU is detected again as CPU 2.61 GHz unknown. No more CI/QE support, no more OpenGL. Xbench CPU score went down from about 90 to 72. After patching the ATIRadeonX1000.kexts to get CI/QE again and repairing disk permissions, I got a dark red screen (!) after reboot. After the 2nd try I got a dark blue screen (!!). Felt like in the Amiga times were red is an Kickstart error and blue a Custom Chip error.

But there's always this problem with the disk utility. There's again this error -5308 when I try to rewrite a dmg partition or error 19 'drive not supporting' if I don't select 'erase hd' option. Disc Utility 10.5.8 which is on the disc isn't even able to enable the erased partition again, only the old version 10.5.6 can do it. I don't know why nobody else noticed this problem. Another weird thing is the fact that the Activity Monitor's dock icon resoultion is getting much lower on 10.4.8. The image is from one of the first 10.4.8 installs I made, so its an old (but unknown) problem.

End results of this test: There's still no alternative to my old 10.4.7 system.

GreetinX from the other Side!