[Guide] The Fool-Proof Vista & XP / Mac OS X Dual-Boot Guide

370 posts in this topic

Excuse me if I'm a bit inexperienced but, when I follow your precise instructions, I can't seem to get the installer to recognize my newly created partition. Whenever I look at that HD in the Disk Utilities, It shows no partitions. If I try to erase the disk, the Utility will freeze, leaving me no choice but to close it.

A few questions, then. 1)Does it matter if the disk you are using is a slave or master? 2)Does the OSX partition have to be on the same physical drive as XP? I've tried to partition the drive in through various combinations of diskpart and disk management(in windows) to no avail. What could I be doing wrong?

Hardware:

ECS KN1 (non-sli) mobo (it uses nForce 4, I believe)

Athlon64 3800 X2 (939)

The Hard drive I'm tring to put OSX on is the Primary IDE slave.

Windows runs on SATA Channel 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Master/Slave differences aren't usually relevant in this case, as I am assuming you have your DVD-RW as Primary IDE Master and your IDE HD as Slave, which is fine.

OS X can be on the same physical drive, or on a different drive, in-fact having it on a seperate drive is usually recommended.

Which release of 10.4.8 are you using, the recent JaS seed or the original seed + v1p?

kyorikusagami, this may help since i had a similar problem: when i prepared the intended partition, it was always logically "behind" another partition. imagine [ partition 1 | partition 2 ] in that order. partition 2 would've been the intended osx partition. instead i prepared the hdd in this fashion: [ partition 2 | partition 1]. from that point on the osx installer saw part 2 everytime i had to reinstall osx. hope that helps.

btw thanks devilhood. i'm natively dual-booting as we talked about. xp on 2xraptor sata raid 0 and osx on a pata hdd. my atheros wireless card is working like a champ ... now all i need is some support for the 8800gtx >_<

this is my first post in osx! good luck everyone

Nice one! yeah, you're probably going to have to wait a while before 8800 GTX support is ready for the Mac :)

10.5 should have drivers for it when it is released.

Soooo... EasyBCD will locate this GUID for me?

Or, at best, help me figure out what it is?

I already explained what it is on my guide.

Replace {YOUR-GUID-HERE} with the ID that is listed for the Mac OS X under the enumerated list

It's just an ID number that you need to enter; it will look something like: {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71}

That is an example of course, you'll need to use the one specified for the Mac OS X entry.

EasyBCD will basically bypass all that non-sense, you can just do everything in a nice automated fashion. Install the program and you'll see!

In all honesty though, you're probably better off using the Darwin Boot Loader, as Vista's one doesn't seem to work all that well for booting into a hackintosh.

Edited by devilhood

I think my issue is that the Darwin Boot Loader isn't actually booting into OSX.

Truth be told I followed your guide and OSX failed to boot - there were no error messages or anything... it just booted into Vista instead of OSX.

I'll try that BCD and see what happens.

when i prepared the intended partition, it was always logically "behind" another partition. imagine [ partition 1 | partition 2 ] in that order. partition 2 would've been the intended osx partition. instead i prepared the hdd in this fashion: [ partition 2 | partition 1]. from that point on the osx installer saw part 2 everytime i had to reinstall osx. hope that helps.

I've tried it that way as well. Still the partition wouldn't show. If I may ask, what programs did you use for this process and in what order?

I would start by using the <clean disk> command from within diskpart. Then I created the Mac partition (partition 1) and set it as active. I then used compmgmt.msc's Disk Management utility to create another extended partition with a logical volume on it. I would then end up with the active af partition first (with no volume on it), followed by a FAT32 volume. No dice.

I also tried it many other ways previously, including the other way around, no logical volume on the second drive, logical volume on both, etc...

Which release of 10.4.8 are you using, the recent JaS seed or the original seed + v1p?

I'm using The original JaS 10.4.8 + v1p + Defiant diskutil patch.

Edited by kyorikusagami

I've tried it that way as well. Still the partition wouldn't show. If I may ask, what programs did you use for this process and in what order?

I would start by using the <clean disk> command from within diskpart. Then I created the Mac partition (partition 1) and set it as active. I then used compmgmt.msc's Disk Management utility to create another extended partition with a logical volume on it. I would then end up with the active af partition first (with no volume on it), followed by a FAT32 volume. No dice.

I also tried it many other ways previously, including the other way around, no logical volume on the second drive, logical volume on both, etc...

I'm using The original JaS 10.4.8 + v1p + Defiant diskutil patch.

You're remembering to set the id as id=af correct?

Wow, this guide is the greatest, solved so many problems.

BUT: I cant start osx,

I get some error

It shows the booting, loads up the grey screen with the apple logo, and shows a no sign in a little square above the apple logo.

All i can explain it as is like a no smoking sign, but above the apple logo in a little box.

i using the 10.4.6 patched install, i got from a torrent, i hope i dont need to download another image.

Please anyone who can help me, I Need to run os x on this system.

its a p4 HT, 2.8

1GB DDR dual channel. ram

160 gb hard drive,

64mb nvidia video card., ya i know why a decent system and a cheapy video card.

Type these commands exactly:

Note: If BCDEDIT does not work for booting OS X, skip this section as you can alternatively use Darwin's F8 Boot Loader.

bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Mac OS X"

Copies information from Vista to use as basis for Mac OS X Boot Loader

bcdedit /enum active

Enumerates the selectable OS' from Vista's Boot Loader

bcdedit /set {YOUR-GUID-HERE} PATH \chain0

Replace {YOUR-GUID-HERE} with the ID that is listed for the Mac OS X under the enumerated list

Hi devilhood,

I know it must be because the caffeine hasn't hit me yet today, but my brain is not telling me what information goes where {current} is in your directions. Also, it may be easier for some people, if they knew specifically how to find 'the ID that is listed for the Mac OS X under the enumerated list' on their system. If you could pop up a quick update to include those two pieces of info, that would be awesome.

Thanks for the great info!

Edited by dualBooter

You literally only have to type {current}

It'll create a template for the Mac OS X operating system based on Vista's current Boot Configuration.

When you type bcdedit /enum active, it will enumerate the list of active operating systems, then all you need to do is use the listed GUID from the Mac OS X entry for the /set command.

You can always just use EasyBCD, as the command line for BCDEDIT is pretty messy to use :)

so no response from before, please help i so want to run os x on my pc.

its the apple sign with a

"NO" sign stamped into it?

please help me !!!

This has occured to people that are booting from a DVD/Hard-Disk without the relevant kext to allow the mac to recognize the IDE/SATA controller.

It used to happen to people that tried to install Mac OS X on an IDE DVD-RW connected to a Jmicron controller, but then a PPF patch was released and combined with the current JaS release to fix the issue.

You're honestly better off using the latest JaS torrent for 10.4.8 :idea:

Edited by devilhood

I did everything this said for the Vista boot loader..

but something interesting happened. When I select OS X, it loads the darwin bootloader.

and the darwin bootloader defaults to Vista.

How do you set the darwin bootloader default OS? Thanks in advance!

its doing the 10.4.8 as an upgrade hope it works.

well at least i hope its an upgrade it says it found my current system and looks to be online like 1 gig or so. ill keep you guys updated. and hopefully ill be posting here from my mac os x installation in a few minutes.

I did everything this said for the Vista boot loader..

but something interesting happened. When I select OS X, it loads the darwin bootloader.

and the darwin bootloader defaults to Vista.

How do you set the darwin bootloader default OS? Thanks in advance!

do you actually see any of the Darwin prompt at all after selecting?

AHHHH!!!! HELP

o well it installed, it starts and comes up with a OS X, starting, then a message saying my computer must be restarted, comes up, and i restart and its a big loop. looks as if the boot part went onto the hard drive though.

when im done this a nice guide is being written, with screenshots.

i never got my bootloader stuff working right with vista, i think i messed up my windows vista partition, o well ill re-install.

at this point if it get it working i might be better off running, mac os x only, but thats if it works.

any help would be nice.

im running the JAS 10.4.8 with a pentium 4 HT, 1gb ddr 400 ram, 80 gb hard drive was drive i installed on, IDE, not sata even though my motherboard supports it.

please help....!!!!!!!

Well, like I said, BCDEDIT doesn't always work, and I highly recommend people to use EasyBCD instead of the command line.

Darwin's built-in Boot Loader is THE best way of dual-booting.

It sounds extremely unrelated that you should be experiencing an infinite loop of restarts, unless you accidentally modified the Vista Boot Configuration somehow, or aquired a virus along the way.

If you're careful, things like this shouldn't happen!

I used EasyBCD and it didn't seem to work right. it starts and gives me an error about the booting file.

it fills in automatically. what are the settings that should be there what does your easyBCD settings look like.

I have my osx partition on hard drive 0 partition 2

I guess ill try osx by itself.