Leopard (10.5) and iBook G3

xcuneytx

18 posts in this topic

Leopard CAN be installed, but not without some minor tweaking or duing something squirrely like installing in Target Disk Mode.

There is a Machine ID check that is set to only accept G4s, G5s, Core Solos, Core Duos, Core2 Duos, Core2 Quads and Xeons.

Yes, I know that Apple does not have any Core Solos or Core2 Quads, however the most recent Leopard seed does reference them. Maybe a sign of things to come...

Nope, there was not. The original Intel Mac Mini's were a 1.5GHz Core Solo and a 1.66GHz Core Duo.

I think the point he was trying to make was that there was in fact a Core Solo machine made by Apple, even though it is no longer made. Adrian had claimed that Apple didn't make a Core Solo machine.

Edited by bluedragon1971

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Any news on this topic, especially with the 9A581 build? Former versions installed on a G4 didn't boot my iBook G3 700. :P

thanks for bumping my topic, I would like to know it also..

I installed leopard on my MacBook, but I didnt try it on my ibook g3 700 mhz (still running tiger)..

the patch wont be a problem, in fact you can patch the .dmg file yourself by screwing in the package content.. the question in fact is, will it run? I am afraid that a lot of things wont work, like the stacks thing in the dock, Quick Look, Spaces, Time Machine..The worst case scenario would be a blue screen of death.. I didnt try it yet, but I am just guessing all of this.

If you modify OSInstall.mpkg, you can remove the MHz, machine, and G3 checks.

It's so easy I did it.

on what mac did you install Leopard?

can you share your experiences? are there things that dont work, or work not as smooth as in Tiger..

please give us some information.

on what mac did you install Leopard?

can you share your experiences? are there things that dont work, or work not as smooth as in Tiger..

please give us some information.

I haven't gotten it installed yet because I cant seem to boot from my iPod. It is an 800MHz iMac G4.