Nvidia QE + CI The Definitive Guide

Ben Eyre

49 posts in this topic

How To Get QE n CI Installed with out Crashing

------------------------------------------------------

Pre Req's

set the AGP Apature in the bios to 128mb

Step 1)

Reinstall The OS, and choose NV40 (but not the ATI Package)

Step 2)

When the os has installed, and rebooted then imediately boot into single user mode by -s

mount -uw /

Step 3)

cd /System/Library/Extensions

Step 4)

cd /GeForce.kext

cd /Contents

nano Info.plist

place in you dev id ie 0x032210de (note this is a example and is my FX5200 256mb Card)

save and exit

cd ..

cd ..

cd /NVDAResman.kext

cd /Contents

nano Info.plist

place in you dev id ie 0x032210de (note this is a example and is my FX5200 256mb Card)

cd ..

cd ..

cd /NVDANV40Hal.kext

cd /Contents

nano Info.plist

cd ..

cd ..

then reboot the system

and you should see the mac OSX welcome screen video

if you dont do it in this Order, OSX will crash

Ben

p.s Let me know if this fixes your problems

after this, your free to update the kernel

I'm pretty sure FX5200 is NOT NV40... and is NV30.

Did you try using the NV30 kext first??

I have a FX 5600 (0x312), and I'm using the NV30 kext. It boots up using Nitat & Titan but without QE/CI. It freezes (or hangs) at bootup (before GUI) if I try to load NVDAResman.kext... so I remove it and it boots up fine but again without QE/CI support...

Edited by tehnick

I never chose to install any ATi driver packages??? Or is that just the default?

Well ATM I'm reinstalling and I picked the NV40 driver package this time, as your guide says...

ATI stuff is installed automatically? So that is the reason for the system hang?

If i understand fine..this guide only works in sse3 capable cpu's no? or maybe is outside a dvd install with new options?

This guide worked perfectly for me, although not at first because of some mistakes I made on my part.

When putting deviceid's into those 3 files, I wasn't aware you had to add the vendorid at the end. Anyway, even though I had that initially setup incorrectly, this guide still gave me full resolutions, etc. Then when I fixed the device id's QE/CI support came along just fine.

Edited by tehnick

i had to take a differant approach to your guide. in the command line i could not do the cd /geforce.kext or any other .kext. said there was no such file or directory.well... i did exit and it bootedme into the gui, and from there i edited those 3 kext's and rebooted, and i have qe/ci!! looks damn cool too :-) now the only other thing i would love to get working is the dual screens. any ideas on how to get that done?

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (sse3)

Asus A8V

GeForce fx 5200 Ultra

x86 10.4.8 (amd version)

Semthex 8.8.1 (out of the box)

• 3 months later...

hi Ben Eyre :)

Did you install agp gart ? I have QE and CI but my device is set to pci...

For everyone : in my setup (fx 5600 xt 256 mo) I could use Natit but version 0.2 (with dual screen) to unable QE and CI. You will have a black screen the first time you boot but you could set graphics mode=1024x768@60 at boot and then you will have a screen opened... just set the right mode in preferences and it will boot ok.

hope it could help :censored2:

Peg4a :whistle:

i had to take a differant approach to your guide. in the command line i could not do the cd /geforce.kext or any other .kext. said there was no such file or directory.well... i did exit and it bootedme into the gui, and from there i edited those 3 kext's and rebooted, and i have qe/ci!! looks damn cool too :-) now the only other thing i would love to get working is the dual screens. any ideas on how to get that done?

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (sse3)

Asus A8V

GeForce fx 5200 Ultra

x86 10.4.8 (amd version)

Semthex 8.8.1 (out of the box)

Hi, had the same problem (was no such file or directory)... well ...rtype reboot, and after the mac os boot with presentencion etc. i put my informacion " name phone bla bla.. opening about mthis mac, i have QE/CI working.

I dont need edit any .kext file, just selected nv40 kext in the instal menu DVD.

My sistem is:

Asus K8N

Senprom 2800+

fx 5200 256MB

For everyone : in my setup (fx 5600 xt 256 mo) I could use Natit but version 0.2 (with dual screen) to unable QE and CI. You will have a black screen the first time you boot but you could set graphics mode=1024x768@60 at boot and then you will have a screen opened... just set the right mode in preferences and it will boot ok.

Peg4a :)

....or you could just boot in safe mode the first time after you install natit ( '-x' flag) and then setup your display preferences. then it will work OK.

BTW peg4a, does the dual monitor works?, Ive installed the same version of natit on a fx5200 but I didnt try yet.