two iMac 233 Weird Turn Off

Nekoi

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I Have two iMacs 233 Original Bondi Blue Rev.A yes, the first iMac ever but recently i update to Jaguar 10.2.8 from Os 9.2.2 (on classic are no problems) and both imacs have the same fail, when i open any application suddenly the screen turn off and the light change from green to orange. :hysterical:

The weird thing is no always when open an application, the computer sometimes work flawlesly, Music, Office, Internet, But then i close all apps and i try to open another one and then happen.

I Upload a Youtube Video here:

Any ideas?

Specs: iMac 233 Mhz Rev.A 160MB Ram 40GB Hard Drive with two partitions

Mac OSX 10.2.8

P.D. Sorry about my English -_-u :)

You'll need to wipe the hard drive and install 9.0.4 or 9.1, update the firmware, and install 10.2 again. We had a similar issue with an iMac at a place I used to work. After 10.2 was installed the screen was hosed until I put 9.1 back on and updated the firmware. The firmware update MUST be done from 9.x, not X or Classic inside of X.

They're both right, it's a firmware update problem (most likely) some people actually cooked their video cards in the old iMacs. You should be fine with the firmware update, I believe it's on the OS X install CD, not 100% sure of that though. Check the 10.2 install CD I think that's where I found it and recovered my iMacs.

Get the update from here and read the guide carefully. Make sure not to skip the programmer's button thing.

On a sidenote, does anyone know why firmware updates are so often required on Macs when upgrading the OS? I've been dealing with them since 7.5.1 on my 6360 and I'm sure they've been needed for long before that. It just seems odd that such odd things can happen. I've never run into an issue quite like this on PC's; occasionally an older PC will have issues with booting a new version of Windows and ACPI problems are quite common on pre-1999 machines. Just seems odd to me that your display would get garbled if you're not running the right firmware with a certain OS. Huh?

On a sidenote, does anyone know why firmware updates are so often required on Macs when upgrading the OS? I've been dealing with them since 7.5.1 on my 6360 and I'm sure they've been needed for long before that. It just seems odd that such odd things can happen. I've never run into an issue quite like this on PC's; occasionally an older PC will have issues with booting a new version of Windows and ACPI problems are quite common on pre-1999 machines. Just seems odd to me that your display would get garbled if you're not running the right firmware with a certain OS. Huh?

It's just part of the Apple experience. Making a firmware that is quite optimized to a specific OS makes it work a bit better. It's a trade off, slightly more updating when upgrading, and slightly improved system performance.

It's just part of the Apple experience. Making a firmware that is quite optimized to a specific OS makes it work a bit better. It's a trade off, slightly more updating when upgrading, and slightly improved system performance.

i Try but the imac's Firmware are to update 1.2 version :wacko:

when i try to install the security updates do the same, the screen turn off .

I don't know if are a memory problem but the iMac no have any problem with 9.2.2 system. ;)

But the two imac do the same, but this imac model must be compatible with 10.2 isn't?

i Try but the imac's Firmware are to update 1.2 version :wacko:

when i try to install the security updates do the same, the screen turn off .

I don't know if are a memory problem but the iMac no have any problem with 9.2.2 system. ;)

But the two imac do the same, but this imac model must be compatible with 10.2 isn't?

I'm pretty sure it's compatible. The last OS X to be officially supported on that machine, 10.3 required built-in firewire. You cleared the programer's switch thing right? resetting the PRAM never hurt anything, other than that I don't know what might be going on.

I can confirm that all of the Mac OS releases work on iMac Rev A. I did it myself. It's true that the 10.3 is the latest officially supported Mac OS X, but I was also able to install Tiger with the help of XPostFacto. I replaced the original HD cable with a regular PC HD cable. I hooked up my HD as master and my Toshiba DVD drive as slave, setup XPostFacto from OS 9 to startup from Tiger DVD and to use the HD as helper disk. It was pertty easy to install and even on Tiger I didn't encounter any problems like you're talking about. Nevertheless, it is obviously too slow.

Maybe your battery is about to die. The machine is old enough for it. Does the machine have problems with date and time? Does it reset back to something like 1956 or so?

• 4 weeks later...
I can confirm that all of the Mac OS releases work on iMac Rev A. I did it myself. It's true that the 10.3 is the latest officially supported Mac OS X, but I was also able to install Tiger with the help of XPostFacto. I replaced the original HD cable with a regular PC HD cable. I hooked up my HD as master and my Toshiba DVD drive as slave, setup XPostFacto from OS 9 to startup from Tiger DVD and to use the HD as helper disk. It was pertty easy to install and even on Tiger I didn't encounter any problems like you're talking about. Nevertheless, it is obviously too slow.

Maybe your battery is about to die. The machine is old enough for it. Does the machine have problems with date and time? Does it reset back to something like 1956 or so?

Now both working.

Thanks McSky

i have to download the OSX 10.3 version o 3 CD from Torrent and install. And runs with a 8 of Xbench score :huh:

I change the memory of sides, 128+32 to 32+128 and work better, may be the buttom of the little board need more memory, i think. Then the weird off dissapear.

i Try to install Tiger but not recognize my DVD drive with a Standard IDE cable, or may be need to follow the XPostFacto's instructions.

:unsure: