Are the holidays offensive?

supernovafan

Holiday cheer poll  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Are you offended when a stranger wishes you Happy Holidays?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Are you offended when a stranger wishes you Merry Christmas?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Are you offended when a stranger wishes you Happy Hanukkah or something else (Kwanzaa, Ramadan, etc...)? (so

• Yes.
    • No.

18 posts in this topic

So I went to a local store here in the USA, and I decided I wanted to try to exude some holiday cheer, so after I finished with one salesperson, I said "Happy Holidays". This resulted in an unusual look from the person. So then I decided to try "Merry Christmas" on the next person, which also resulted in an unusual look. Well my efforts brought about totally unexpected and unwarranted results, so I decided it wasn't worth it and stopped.

So my question is, is it really so bad to wish happiness to a stranger, in our own way, even though we might not observe the same tradition? So if I say "Merry Christmas" to someone who observes Hanukkah, why can't that person just reply "Happy Hanukkah" and can't we just leave it at that and realize that we're just trying to be kind or friendly, instead of getting offended? Anyway due to my experience at the store I wanted to try this totally informal and unscientific poll.

well, when someone automatically assumes i celebrate Christmas because i look Irish, i get offended

i celebrate hannukah, so i just expect a "happy holidays" from people

and christmas is so commercialized these days, it has little religious significance left

seriously, how many people go to church on christmas eve/day?

i didnt think so

I don't care personally, they aren't being malignant when they wish you anything. I think it's gone to far in america where people are personally offended at what you say. Not everyone is christian, whatever happened to home of the free? ('whoever told you that is your enemy'). This country is becoming very religiously intolerant (extremist), if it's not already there, in their religious perspective. Your god and your religion are part of your own personal life, keep them to yourselves, don't force them upon other people but wish people whatever you want to. The fact that people are offended by happy holidays or any friendly greeting is insane. Next time I could be saying f*** you so be happy with my friendliness. (as a side note I consider myself a spiritual agnostic without religious affiliation and I'm not offended when people wish me any of the above.) but that's just my personal opinion and I consider myself a very tolerant person...

Corinthians 10:31-32 "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:"

'We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) Prophets from their Lord; We make no difference between one and another of them and we bow to Allah in adherence and submission. T.Q., Sura 2, The Cow, verse 136.

I personally see nothing to be offended in that. When there's goodwill, why would one be offended? But I've seen such people. To me, it's plain stupid.

anyone claiming to be 'offended' by this sort of thing really needs to GET OVER THEMSELVES.

people just LOVE to get all nice and worked up, all up on their high-horses about this {censored}.

there, take that to the bank, cash it, and take a trip the {censored} outta my life.

anyone claiming to be 'offended' by this sort of thing really needs to GET OVER THEMSELVES.

people just LOVE to get all nice and worked up, all up on their high-horses about this {censored}.

there, take that to the bank, cash it, and take a trip the f*** outta my life.

My sentiments exactly! I can't believe how assinine people have become regarding what is perceived as offensive. Are we getting to the point that the only politically correct thing to do is to simply tell everyone we meet to F!#$ off? I have no time for the PC crowd - the tyranny of the minority is rediculous. ;)

That's funny. The tyranny of the minority. Obviously the only valid tyranny is the tyranny of the majority.

Oh wait, why not have NO tyranny instead?!

Christmas is a good example. Santa Claus and Xmas tree and whatnot are perfectly secular symbols that anyone who wants to should be able to have fun with. Of course, when Government or Private non-religious institutions start erecting nativity scenes, everyone should be offended. In the case of government, it's breaking the law. In the case of private institutions, I simply wont give them my money, and let that be that.

I find it fundamentally offensive when someone automatically assumes I'm of a particular religion. Whether it be Christianity, Islam or Atheism. Religion and politics have no place in polite conversation, least of all with someone you dont know (their religion or politics).

I went to a funeral once, and one of the people there made a comment about us all being "Good Nazarenes". I felt compelled to say, quite openly, that I was not a Nazarene, nor any sort of Christian, and if I were forced to believe in a deity, it would be someone worthy of worship such as Zoroaster or Lucifer. As the deceased was a relative of mine, and the person making the comment was only some church-friend who's entire association with my relative had been in bilking them out of their money, I felt wholy justified.

That being said, I dont see how giving the traditional holiday greeting for your faith can be offensive. I dont celebrate Channuka or Ramadan or whatever. If someone wants to say to me "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Festivus" or "Good Ramadan", I can hardly complain.

Will the insanity ever end?

No where in the Bible is the "Christmas Tree" ever mentioned. If one looks back far enough, it really is a symbol of a pagan winter celebration. It is not a Christian symbol, and therefore should not offend anybody.

Happy Holidays! And if you take offense to that, go f ;) k yourself.

:thumbsup_anim:

Hehe, we're destroying our own religions. Our very society beginning to make it unacceptable to follow a religion. If you do and try to express it, it's "politically incorrrect" (who the hell came up with that phrase, it's dumb). If we keep up at this pace, it won't be long until holiday decorations are outlawed all together. After all, that wreath on the outside of my house might "confront" non-Christian people that pass my house with my beliefs (then drive by faster...).

I celebrate Christmas, but I have several friends who celebrate Hanukkah. I tell them Merry Christmas, they tell me Happy Hanukkah. When someone tells me Happy Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, I'm not offended, I realize they are being friendly and expressing their own individuality. I take any friendly remark with indifference to what beliefs go along with it.

Basically I think the whole controversy is a load of bull, we have enough problems in the world, we don't need to make more over somthing so stupid. Besides, the whole argument kinda takes away from the ideas behind these holidays.

Edited by rollcage

Yeah, with the crazy political correctness now we can only say "winter solstice"

I haven't friends that celebrate Hanukkah, and I realy never heard of Kwanzaa. :thumbsup_anim:

But I´m gonna celebrate the next Chinese's New Year at China Town.

I work over the phone, and I get customers wishing me Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas... I haven't taken any offense to it, I think it's really nice. I don't say anything like that to customers, but it's nice to hear people say it, and if they do I always just say "Thanks, you too" and that's fine.

I dont understand why Americans especially cant wrap their heads around the holiday expression issue. No one cares if you personally have a christmas tree or a hannuka bush or whatever. No one cares if you have a wreath, or a sign on your lawn that says "Jesus Saves! Merry Christmas". And if they do care, they need a hobby or something to occupy their mind. What people care about is G O V E R N M E N T sponsored denominational religious holidays. When Joe Rockefeller decides to throw a christmas parade in downtown new york, he gets his license from the city to do so, and does it. He can, it's perfectly okay. It is wrong and against the law for the city of New York to do the same. Recently a Rabbi threatened to sue Seattle-Tacoma international airport for having a Christmas tree but not a menorah. Of course he should sue, it's wrong for a state-run institution to post religious paraphernalia on their premises. Seattle-Tacoma Intl Airport is run under the auspices of the Port of Seattle, which is funded by tax dollars, and therefore may not, under the 14th Amendment to the federal constitution, promote religion. Which is what they are doing (to some people).

I guess people who's religion is dominant dont understand why there is a seperation of church and state in the US. But were the federal constitution to be changed to reflect the majority of religious people in this nation, many protestants would be required to salute the Pope, for instance. Or were muslims to have a majority in this country, Christianity might become heresy.

So, when you ask yourself "But, how can a christmas tree offend anyone?", imagine if the official government-sanctioned symbol was a Menorah.

That being said... Any private institution or person that wants to promote a specific religion may do so all they want. No one can force them not to. If your local mall doesnt want to have Santa because it offends Jews and Muslims with money to spend, that's their choice. Or if they want to post signs saying "Christ is our savior" and dont care about Jewish or Muslim money, that's also their choice.

I know a lot of Jewish people who get ticked off at the words "Happy Holidays" just as much as I, a Christian, get irritated by it. The simple matter at hand is that the words "Happy Holidays" have such a vague implication that it no longer seems like a real heartfelt wish of happiness, but rather an overly cautious approach to addressing somebody. "Holidays" could mean Easter or Thanksgiving, or any other "holiday" for that matter.

If a Jew walked up to me and said "Happy Hanukkah" I'd actually be happy, even though I don't practice Hanukkah. All he's basically saying is "I wish that during the season of Hanukkah you have a joyous time." Ok, so during those specific days, whether I'm celebrating the holiday or not, he's wishing that I'm happy. The sentiments are still good. Likewise, if I replied by saying "Merry Christmas," I'm saying that on the day of Christmas, I hope he has a good day, whether he's opening presents under a tree or not.

As for Kwanzaa. Blah. That's a totally made-up holiday. List 10 people you personally know who celebrate it. Thought so. It was basically invented by a college professor in the 1970's. But even if somebody did wish me a "Festive Kwanzaa," the things I've said still apply and I'd receive it with a warm heart.

All holidays are made up. Some are just older than others.

Unless you mean that Kwanzaa doesnt signify anything legitimate, in which case... neither does Christmas. Jesus wasnt born on December 25th or even in the winter. (assuming you buy what the bible's selling). He also wasnt born in the year zero or one, depending on how you interpret Gregory.

Edited by gwprod12

All holidays are made up. Some are just older than others....

Eh, that's a big stretch. Just because you don't know the specific date that something occurred doesn't mean you should refute the idea of celebrating it at all. December 25th actually has a pagan background. It's a long story. Jesus was born in spring, according to historians. That doesn't mean Christmas has no meaning or history.

I know I went o/t with the Kwanzaa thing. My bad. The roots of holidays aren't the topic for this thread. :/