VDA Decoder Failure - Empty / headless framebuffer ID for UHD 630 in a i9-10900k processor

jlrycm

17 posts in this topic

In the Hackintool System tab, I see that the vda decoder failed. I did the vda decoder check in terminal that is suggested in dortania and I got a 12473 error. I was wondering if someone else with a similar configuration has seen the same message for the vda decoder. My mobo is MSI z590-A Pro and my dgpu is the
MSI - AMD Radeon RX 6600 ARMOR 8G- 8GB GDDR6). I’m using the iMac 20,2 SMBIOS running the latest version of macOS Ventura and booting through OpenCore 0.9.6. My EFI and ioreg report are attached.

Also, I want to use the iGPU for computing only in my hackintosh. What is the best empty / headless framebuffer ID to define in OpenCore device properties for the intel UHD 630 igpu in a i9-10900k processor?

I’m currently using the one that Dortania OC Install Guide indicates for Comet Lake which is 0300C89B but I have seen in some posts that it’s better to use an id that aligns with the CPU you’re using, for example 0300C59B in my case. I also saw 0300C49B as an alternative.

Any feedback from this great community and/or the experts @Slice @vit9696 @miliuco @MaLd0n @eSaF is highly appreciated.

EFI.zip

iMac 20,2.zip

Edited by jlrycm

@jlrycm - Hi, based on your specs I made some corrections to your config.plist as well as updated your kexts and OC version.

Fill in your machine's credentials, i.e S/N, ROM etc in the config.plist in this revised EFI Folder and try it on a spare USB Drive and see if the results are favorable for you.

PS. I set up your Graphics as headless if indeed your CPU is UHD 630  as I haven't checked the specs independently.

Good luck.

EFI.zip

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, eSaF said:

@jlrycm - Hi, based on your specs I made some corrections to your config.plist as well as updated your kexts and OC version.

Fill in your machine's credentials, i.e S/N, ROM etc in the config.plist in this revised EFI Folder and try it on a spare USB Drive and see if the results are favorable for you.

PS. I set up your Graphics as headless if indeed your CPU is UHD 630  as I haven't checked the specs independently.

Good luck.

EFI.zip 4.7 MB · 1 download

Thanks @eSaF I’ll verify and report back the results. What were the changes you did? BTW, I was using the Mod version of OC to boot Windows thru OC w/o ACPI disruptions

1 hour ago, jlrycm said:

Thanks @eSaF I’ll verify and report back the results. What were the changes you did? BTW

Hi - I updated the OC version and the kexts as they were outdated.

Plus the Data entries for the UDH 630 IGPU in the Device Properties section (like my own running as Headless) of the config.plist exactly like the attached sample.

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-11-08at11_24_23.png.48f92d6317941d033fef32a46a19fbb3.png

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 11.31.33.png

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 11.28.34.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Hi - I updated the OC version and the kexts as they were outdated.

Plus the Data entries for the UDH 630 IGPU in the Device Properties section (like my own running as Headless) of the config.plist exactly like the attached sample.

Hide contents

Screenshot2023-11-08at11_24_23.png.48f92d6317941d033fef32a46a19fbb3.png

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 11.31.33.png

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 11.28.34.png

Thanks a lot for the clarifications @eSaF. I always ask to learn.

Edited by jlrycm
  • Like 1

@eSaF I noticed that in my Activity Monitor there’s GPU after the CPU activity. I looked how to change this and the only thing I found was the option to select GPU from the Window menu in the Activity Monitor app menu bar to be able to see GPU history. Do you know why is that? Also, I tried first your config.plist edits and they didn’t work. I will replace the kexts now but I don’t think it will make a difference. If no fix, I will then try changing to the iMac 20,1 SMBIOS to see if that makes a difference.

UPDATE: after switching to iMac 20,1 SMBIOS, I still see the VDA decoder failing. I added pictures of my UEFI BIOS settings just in case I need to change something here in your opinion.

Another question I have is what version of OC you copied in the EFI you updated for me? Is it a MOD version not injecting ACPI in Windows?

IMG_6860.jpeg

IMG_6859.jpeg

Edited by jlrycm

Use this EFI folder EFI.zip

-Bios/UEFI in full default settings(CSM to Disable with AMD GPU - Sata to Ahci - Secure Boot Disable on mobiles)
-Delete old EFI folder and paste new. Don't use merge files
-Don't use Drag and Drop into EFI partition. Use Copy/Paste instead
-Reset NVRAM one time - with OpenCore use entry "Reset Nvram" / with Clover use F11 key on boot screen

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MaLd0n said:

Use this EFI folder EFI.zip

-Bios/UEFI in full default settings(CSM to Disable with AMD GPU - Sata to Ahci - Secure Boot Disable on mobiles)
-Delete old EFI folder and paste new. Don't use merge files
-Don't use Drag and Drop into EFI partition. Use Copy/Paste instead
-Reset NVRAM one time - with OpenCore use entry "Reset Nvram" / with Clover use F11 key on boot screen

Thanks @MaLd0n! I’ll give it a try

24 minutes ago, jlrycm said:

@MaLd0n I replaced the EFI following your instructions and I still see the VDA decoder failure in Hackintool and the vdaddcoderchecker in terminal. I will check again in the evening.

Save one ioreg with EFI above.

9 hours ago, MaLd0n said:

Save one ioreg with EFI above.

@MaLd0n I applied overrides in Terminal using the Whatevergreen chart guidance and got rid of the vda decoder error in Hackintool and the vdadecoderchecker terminal app.

jorgerodriguez@IMAC-2020 ~ % defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder -string force
jorgerodriguez@IMAC-2020 ~ % defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -boolean yes
jorgerodriguez@IMAC-2020 ~ % defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -boolean yes
jorgerodriguez@IMAC-2020 ~ % defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes
jorgerodriguez@IMAC-2020 ~ % /Users/jorgerodriguez/Downloads/VDADecoderChecker
Hardware acceleration is fully supported
jorgerodriguez@IMAC-2020 ~ %

On 11/10/2023 at 2:52 PM, MaLd0n said:

I created some missing devices. No difference at all.

Thanks @MaLd0n. One more question: for the CPUFriend, what are the LFM, EPP and Perf Bias values selected for the CPUFriendDataProvider.kext you included in the last EFI that you shared with me here?