About This Hack app

Slice
84 posts in this topic

This is not my project. 

Origin is https://github.com/0xCUB3/About-This-Hack which came from https://github.com/8itCat/About-This-Hack

But when I took new one I encounter a problem with signing. I have no paid Apple developer account so I prohibited from compile the application. It is not working with crash

About This Hack.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/B/Sparkle' not valid for use in process: mapped file has no Team ID and is not a platform binary (signed with custom identity or adhoc?)),

bla-bla-bla...

So I found old fork and improve it. It works.

I also add my new features "Acceleration". Memory manufacture (first one) and Serial always hidden.

Also link to our forum instead of Dortania.

image.png

It is located in https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/About-This-Hack

There is also release version.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, miliuco said:

@Slice

Great job. I like how About This Hack generates interest in the community and there are several forks with different code.

I can't find MainStoryboard in the repo but it's required in the project, is it intencional? Thanks.

Huh! I seems to forget to upload it. Will be fixed.

9 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

It crashes on Monterey, I have SIP fully enabled.

It compiled under Ventura, this is the problem.

I can't compile it under Mojave because of Swift and I have no Monterey to recompile to older system. :worried_anim:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CloverLeaf said:

Nice! A bit weird Memory reading.

image.png.7199335b4f8adbdc7007cd73cf400d0f.png

It's up to the bootloader to substitute Name instead of manufacture code { 0x80, 0xAD, "SK Hynix"},

2 minutes ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

Openening this fork of About this Hack on an iMac11,3 in Big Sur takes about 20 seconds whereas the "original" opens instantly

Still not optimized.

The application is written in Swift while original in Objective-C.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CloverLeaf said:

Is there any way to set it to show the name correctly every time ?

Open issue at Acidanthera about Hynix memory. As I see above sometimes OpenCore correctly shows the name.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, miliuco said:

@Slice

Great job. I like how About This Hack generates interest in the community and there are several forks with different code.

I can't find MainStoryboard in the repo but it's required in the project, is it intencional? Thanks.

Fixed. Test please.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Slice said:

Fixed. Test please.

Yes, now it's well compiled by Xcode. For me the compiled app works fine, starts in 3-4 seconds, all info is ok.

Only issue is RAM manufacturer. I guess it has nothing to do with OpenCore but with the way macOS detects the manufacturer.

If System Profiler has it as hex number (e.g. mine shows 029E instead of Corsair) then ATH shows also the number. 

In my opinion, this feature can be dismissed or, if you keep it, you can add a struct or list (integrated or in a separated file) with the most common manufacturer codes. I don't know if the work is worth it.

As an example, memtest86plus uses the attached file that is a list of the codes present in the JEDEC list of RAM manufacturers. Maybe it can be integrated in the project but I don't know if is too hard work. My skills are too poor to do this task.

Even without the manufacturer name, the app is useful and works fine.

Anyway, don't think too much about this and thanks for your work.

RAM manufacturer:

Spoiler

ram-manufacturer-029E.thumb.png.a917f194b3b049dace06669dce03419b.png

Ram manufacturer after adding an if block, only for 029E code:

Spoiler

ram-manufacturer-Corsair.thumb.png.a64a9b6d2d04bd5599c4142c8315ea71.png

jedec_id.h

Edited by miliuco
Forgotten Jedec_id.h
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, miliuco said:

Only issue is RAM manufacturer. I guess it has nothing to do with OpenCore but with the way macOS detects the manufacturer.

If System Profiler has it as hex number (e.g. mine shows 029E instead of Corsair) then ATH shows also the number. 

Thanks for the test!

Anyway it is OpenCore fault. Do the same with Clover and see the difference. Clover is older bootloader and better tuned for most cases.

The origin of the bug comes from Apple. Old macintoshes have several bugs in System Profiler including memory Manufacture, Serial, PCI devices and ROM properties.

We are observing how Apple programmers excluded these fields instead of cure them. I decided to not follow Apple but show real values. Let Apple envy us.

3 hours ago, Alpha22 said:

Yes they are DDR5 Corsair and Radeon RX 560 4G

OK, Clover can't detect DDR5 yet. As well as OpenCore.
About manufacture there is good second field while the program took first one. I need some algo to re-detect memory.

• Like 4