Opencore MOD

mengshi

14 posts in this topic

Anyone using Opencore MOD here? I’m planning on dual booting OSX and Linux and was wondering if this is an OK option. Any gotchas I should be aware of? How about during upgrades and usage of other tools like OCAT?

I was using it, and it's awesome. 😁

There's no problem with dual-boot, it's just OC even better with this feature (not inject OC properties in another system).

About upgrade, I always do the test with a USB stick, if it boots then I put the newest files at my EFI.

If not, I can do some researches and see what's happening, and doing this way I can keep my current OC as it was. 😉

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

OCAT works fine have to make simple config changes to update to latest OC Mod

I use OC Mod and OCAT for all changes.  But always keep Xcode or Propertree to configure config.plist just in case.
OCAT has learning curve.  if you are used to manually editing config.plist this will urk one for some time. ;)

Edited by makk

Here's a tip from my own experience: using separate SSDs for each OS really helps avoid any mix-ups and eases the setup.

When tweaking your OpenCore setup, just add the right drivers for your Linux root file system. You can find these in the OpenCore Binary Data's Drivers directory.

Always back up before updates or using tools like OCAT. It's saved me more than once when things didn't go as planned.

For a detailed guide, Dortania’s Dualbooting with Linux | OpenCore Multiboot is super helpful. It guided me through the whole process.

Best of luck with your setup!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have Ventura set up nicely with Opencore MOD.

I am still quite confused as to how to install Windows 11 (on a separate disk). What happens to all those secure boot, tpm, csm stuff that is needed for Win 11 installation?

My biggest fear is for the Windows Boot manager to screw up opencore.

Does the Dortania guide on installing Windows 10/11 under opencore still applicable when using this MOD?

In my case, but I think for almost everyone, I have TPM enabled , Secure Boot and CSM disabled in the bios

Since they are 2 separate disks, the possibility of the WIN Boot Manager ruining the OC (Mod) is no longer possible

Personally, when I install Win , I deactivate (I have this option from the bios) the disk with OSX
In any case, the thing can be repaired, it will be enough to replace the Boot folder that Win has overwritten with that of OC... this is because Win finds the existing EFI partition and appropriates it , and it is a shame to have both Bootloaders in single EFI partition (mandatory when you have only one drive e.g. in laptops)

In any case, to avoid any misunderstanding and ensure that the folders end up in their respective EFI partitions, this app is for you https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/348077-install-windows-on-mac-no-bootcamp/

( Works From OSX )

Dual boot also works with OC Mod (ScanPolicy = 0)

Edited by Antonuccio
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

I have Ventura on an onboard NVME and Windows on an SSD. The SSD was previously used for Hackintosh so there is a residual Mac EFI partition. Windows DOES not like this. Thank goodness my ASUS board has a tool called secure erase which will wipe the SSD (not sure how to do that in OSX. I think need to do MBR FAT format). 

Anyway, for the initial WIndows 11 installation, the OSX NVME has to be disconnected (physically, no BIOS option to disable it I think). The Win 11 will reboot a few times and this process does not like the OpenCore MOD boot picker in  place. 

Just a note for someone attempting to do the same. 

Edited by mengshi
Grammar

Nowadays I made the switch from OC Official to OC MOD, because I lost count of the times I had to reinstall windows because OC kills my windows.

Last weekend was the last time that I reinstalled windows, but first I remove my Sonoma SSD from the machine and then install windows, its the best method.

Until now the OC MOD worked well with windows...

Have you tried using the WINDOWS_INSTALL_APP  It populates the EFI partition of the Win disk and does not overwrite the OC Boot
You just need to initialize the WIN disk from Disk Utility > MS-Dos & Guid

You don't need to remove the disk with OSX... and you don't need OC-Mod unless for other reasons

because OC kills my windows

Are you using any particular SSDT/DSDT ? It could depend on that

Edited by Antonuccio
  • Like 1

Hi @Antonuccio,

Until a few days ago I din't know the WINDOWS_INSTALL_APP, and in the future I'll try it.

It's good to know that OC MOD isn't necessary to work well with Windows.

Thanks

Stupid question, does this app download Windows ISO prior to installation or do you have to have a copy of the ISO for the install?

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am trying to figure out best way to use opencore to boot windows 11 and Sonoma where CPU is 14700k. For Sonoma I need bootarg -wegnoigpu. But that will mess up windows if OC launches it.

So someone suggested opencore mod, I also see here windows_install_app. Is there preferred choice in my situation?

For what it is worth, I have separate SSDs and am installing windows first.

1 hour ago, bhuether said:

Hi, I am trying to figure out best way to use opencore to boot windows 11 and Sonoma where CPU is 14700k. For Sonoma I need bootarg -wegnoigpu. But that will mess up windows if OC launches it.

So someone suggested opencore mod, I also see here windows_install_app. Is there preferred choice in my situation?

For what it is worth, I have separate SSDs and am installing windows first.

If at all possible go ahead and install Windows first, but remove the Drive you intend to install Sonoma.

The reason is, Windows tends to put if not all but part of it's boot files onto any other Drives it finds which could cause problems.

After the successful Windows install, you can proceed to install macOS. At this point there is really no need to remove the Windows Drive for the macOS install

but if you're feeling cautious, you can just to be safe.

For future reference, it will be more helpful if you gave a full list of your specs attached to your signature.

That way it helps other members to give affirmative ideas/tips to your queries, also helps you from forever listing them with your posts.

Good luck on your project, we are all here to help in anyway possible.