Install windows on Mac (No bootcamp)

Sergey_Galan

42 posts in this topic

Installing Windows from macOS. Suitable for Hackintosh and Macintosh (install drivers yourself). Possibility to make a backup. 
Utilities are used - wimlib and ntfs-3g.
There is a drag and drop support function. Compatible with Mac OS X 10.13 and up.
Intel only!

Training video - 

11.png.503194e0ca35454762629e1fd1155fea.png15.png.16acdc86d80b96da08560e3330bcab36.png16.thumb.png.c51b2b872842a95ba8dd84417b1f854c.png17.thumb.png.95beab9e694119c67fed7225cd70bee4.png18.png.f4046bc5b628584aefc7e0cd01cc2da4.png

Download App - https://sourceforge.net/projects/windows-install/

Edited by Sergey_Galan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

• 7 months later...

@Sergey_Galan

Nice app however it's throwing the following error with a legit Windows 10 ISO Installer ( From Microsoft web page ) 

On OS 10.14.6:

"unable to obtain configuration from file:///Library/Preferences/com.apple.ViewBridge.plist due to Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file “com.apple.ViewBridge.plist” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ViewBridge.plist, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fd7ca61dac0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}} "

Still trying to install...

1192360054_ScreenShot2022-01-27at13_56_14.png.355123eee54dec8bdb55c1c84258f042.png

Edited by Ellybz

• 1 month later...

...I know, but I got bored... tried using this...10 hours + and still was only 34% complete...the usb i was trying to install to was capable of 5gb/sec...the process was way too slow... so I aborted and will reformat usb drive ...oh well

...tried again with an hdd, much faster install...now running monterey on ssd and windows 11 on hdd   🦉

Edited by RobertX
...to say this works...
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/27/2022 at 11:53 PM, Ellybz said:

@Sergey_Galan

Nice app however it's throwing the following error with a legit Windows 10 ISO Installer ( From Microsoft web page ) 

On OS 10.14.6:

"unable to obtain configuration from file:///Library/Preferences/com.apple.ViewBridge.plist due to Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file “com.apple.ViewBridge.plist” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ViewBridge.plist, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fd7ca61dac0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}} "

Still trying to install...

1192360054_ScreenShot2022-01-27at13_56_14.png.355123eee54dec8bdb55c1c84258f042.png

Sorry, I was gone for a long time))) Did everything work out for you?

Edited by Sergey_Galan

2 hours ago, Sergey_Galan said:

Sorry, I was gone for a long time))) Did everything work out for you?

No friend, I couldn't make it work. The installer took forever. If i remember correctly the original Win10 ISO Installer was on NMVe.

I end up using Rufus USB iInstaller thru VM Windows.  Worked like a charm.

PS: Glad you're okay.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ellybz said:

No friend, I couldn't make it work. The installer took forever. If i remember correctly the original Win10 ISO Installer was on NMVe.

I end up using Rufus USB iInstaller thru VM Windows.  Worked like a charm.

PS: Glad you're okay.

Have you tried to install Windows on USB? This program does not create an installation USB, the program itself installs Windows. Use partition on HDD or SSD. There is a link to the video above.

6 hours ago, Sergey_Galan said:

Have you tried to install Windows on USB? This program does not create an installation USB, the program itself installs Windows. Use partition on HDD or SSD. There is a link to the video above.

Aaaaaaaaaa!!!!😀

Makes sense, Thanks for the clarification. Will try again with windows 11.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

A couple of days ago, I've tested booting Window from an SSD via an Exteral USB enclosure using OpenCore on my iMac11,3. It booted without any issues. Windows update even found drivers for it.

So no need to use Boot Camp Assistant, etc.. This was just a test in my case, but you could install Windows on a disk on the PC, mount the EFI add the OC folder put in the drive into the mac and boot it. This eleminates all the prep work with Boot Camp Assistant and then just run Brigardier from within Windows to download and installe the relevant Bootcamp/Device drivers. Of course this only workson macs that support removable drives.

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 2

@janny_thomas Yes. It's a mac app.

@Sergey_Galan This tool is great. I couldn't get Windows installed on the disk before because it wasn't in the GPT format. In order to convert it to GPT I would have to format the whole disk again which I didn't want to do. With your tool it installed Windows regarless. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 3

On 8/16/2023 at 10:09 PM, surenmunoo said:

Would be good to have something to install on a M2 Mac 

This program simply deploys Windows to a disk partition. When there is support for Windows modern Macs, then perhaps the program will cope.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have a 2014 MacBook Air with 4GB of RAM. It runs Sonoma with OCLP, but due to the 4GB RAM limitation, I decided to delete the internal SSD and perform a clean installation of Windows 11 23H2 22635.2484 using a thumb drive with VENTOY installed. Everything went well, and all drivers work, including the keyboard backlit and SD card reader. In other words, what works in macOS Big Sur, Ventura or Sonoma also works in Windows 11, and it’s lightning fast. My MBA now runs like a Windows machine, and I am very satisfied with it compared to running Big Sur, Ventura or Sonoma

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Impeccable as always 👌 

Nice new interface

Lightning fast in preinstalling on nvme 2min12s 

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-15alle23_26_36.png.9c70514c28d5d7c67fe637a542d4d1fa.png

I know that the app is suitable for working on SSDs
Testing on a USB stick the time is 1 hour and something
It would be nice to be able to create a "Win to go" USB

The backup function completed in 12m17s was very useful

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-16alle01_07_27.png.3098b110778a19a24cce3c938fb36d54.png

I was wondering if it was possible to develop apps for Win too, in order to insert for example it into a live ISO (like Strelec) to restore the system in case of problems
Thank you

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Antonuccio always ahead from Vanguard !!! Thanks for share @Sergey_Galan 

Would explain if is good for Magic Keyboard users get works drivers on Windows? Im not use Windows too much but is very nice if works fine....

Im have been used Clonezilla to copy perfectly my SSD Win installer (backup) just for some emergency. But this program is interesting ! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Max.1974 said:

@Antonuccio always ahead from Vanguard !!! Thanks for share @Sergey_Galan 

Would explain if is good for Magic Keyboard users get works drivers on Windows? Im not use Windows too much but is very nice if works fine....

Im have been used Clonezilla to copy perfectly my SSD Win installer (backup) just for some emergency. But this program is interesting ! 

I don’t know how well these drivers work in Windows, but all drivers are installed manually after installing the system. To do this, you need to first download them from Bootcamp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antonuccio said:

It would be nice to be able to create a "Win to go" USB

I was wondering if it was possible to develop apps for Win too, in order to insert for example it into a live ISO (like Strelec) to restore the system in case of problems
Thank you

The program runs the script for wimlib. Creating "Win to go" USB is not provided in wimlib. https://wimlib.net

wimlib is a cross-platform open source library. I think something similar already exists for Windows.

• Like 1

thanks, it was just my curiosity... clearly other apps already exist ,not really essential anyway

But is it not possible to go back from the .Vim file (Backup)?
Backup < --- > Restore

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-16alle17_12_46.png.731ec36a2d21a6360b3b9a7bdeaf2466.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Antonuccio said:

But is it not possible to go back from the .Vim file (Backup)?
Backup < --- > Restore

Hide contents

Screenshot2024-03-16alle17_12_46.png.731ec36a2d21a6360b3b9a7bdeaf2466.png

Drag the Backup file onto the program and look at the index. Most likely index 1 if you only made one backup. You can save the system many times in one wim file, or you can save it each time in a separate file.

Spoiler

19.png.a39df1ea7c63e01e58531bab08fe9276.png

Edited by Sergey_Galan
  • Like 2

Interestingly. You can install any X64 custom build of Windows. In the event that the custom assembly does not have the standard path or name of the wim/esd file. Mount the .iso, find the .wim or .esd file and drag it onto the program window. After installing the system, restore the bootloader.

• Like 2

Yes, most of the time I extract the .Vim file and use that to make changes
... I'm anxiously awaiting the app running under Windows 😅 ... Thank you ( like WinNTSetup app )

Edited by Antonuccio
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Max.1974 said:

But this program is interesting ! 

Yes, I found out about it a few years ago and it was love at first sight 😆

It was useful for AMD users who could not, for example, start the Win installation via classic USB

Clonezilla I used it a couple of times and didn't like it that much
I currently rely on R-Drive which I enjoy launching through VENTOY 

A real recovery unit... I launch any ISO, Clover, Opencore... Who knows one day maybe even Windows Install.app 🙏

• Like 3