[Guide] Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia) Hackintosh: Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura & Sonoma macOS installations with Open Core Legacy Patching

deeveedee

295 posts in this topic

Posting this to disclose test results and not as a recommendation for anyone's production environment:

I am A/B'ing OCLP 0.6.8 and 1.0.1 root patches for Ventura as part of my own testing. I have had no problem alternating the application of Ventura MBP6,2 root patches using OCLP 0.6.8 and 1.0.1 (overwriting the existing root patches). I am leaving my Open Core EFI alone (as the one generated with OCLP 1.0.1, manually upgraded to Open Core 0.9.5, OCLP-Version = 1.0.1). No problems jumping back and forth between OCLP 0.6.8 and OCLP 1.0.1 post-install patches and I notice no difference with Ventura (not that I expected any).

I am currently running Ventura 13.6 with OCLP 0.6.8 post-install patches on my MBP6,2 and all is good. This 2010 Mac is amazing thanks to OCLP. Devs have made the root-patching process as seamless as I think it can be. Well done.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

At least one user in MacRumors Sonoma forum suggested that setting OCLP FeatureUnlock (FU) to "Partial" reduced CPU fan activity.  I diff'd the config.plists for their Mac with full and partial FU and found the difference to be that Partial FU config.plist includes boot-arg -disable_sidecar_mac' which "disables Sidecar/AirPlay/Universal Control patches".  I have added this boot-arg to my HackBookPro6,2 config.plist for testing.

Edited by deeveedee

Upgraded my OC EFI with OC 0.9.6 and AppleALC.kext 1.8.7.  Painless upgrade.  Open Core has been rock-solid for many releases now.  After upgrading OC, I applied LogoutHook and LegacyBoot with the new utilities.  All good.  This hack is amazing.

EDIT: My production macOS on this HackBookPro6,2 is Ventura 13.6.1 patched with OCLP 0.6.8.  I continue to boot Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma with a single OC EFI (which I am manually keeping current with the latest OCLP and OC), but I am patching Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura with 0.6.8 while I'm patching Sonoma 14.2Beta with OCLP 1.2.0.

I am not using this hack for any secure computing operations (e.g., banking, e-mail) and now am simply enjoying the challenge of keeping it alive and well.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, deeveedee said:

Upgraded my OC EFI with OC 0.9.6 and AppleALC.kext 1.8.7.  Painless upgrade.  Open Core has been rock-solid for many releases now.  After upgrading OC, I applied LogoutHook and LegacyBoot with the new utilities.  All good.  This hack is amazing.

EDIT: My production macOS on this HackBookPro6,2 is Ventura 13.6.1 patched with OCLP 0.6.8.  I continue to boot Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma with a single OC EFI (which I am manually keeping current with the latest OCLP and OC), but I am patching Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura with 0.6.8 while I'm patching Sonoma 14.2Beta with OCLP 1.2.0.

I am not using this hack for any secure computing operations (e.g., banking, e-mail) and now am simply enjoying the challenge of keeping it alive and well.

Care To Share Your EFI Please

With Sonoma 14.2Beta and OCLP 1.2.0 patches, this hack still supports 3 displays (internal LCD, VGA, DP).  DP is hot-pluggable.  VGA must be connected before macOS boots to be detected.

EDIT: After reviewing @miliuco 's thread here, I plan to replace the Brcm card in this Latitude E6410 with Intel (essentially reverting to the original Dell configuration of this laptop) so that I use Wi-Fi in Sonoma without OCLP Wi-Fi root patches.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a used HP Envy x360 15m (Kabylake-R/UHD620, 12GB RAM, i5-8250U, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1TB SATA HD, Intel Wi-Fi/BT, SMBIOS MBP15,2) for around $100 USD.  I was able to install Sonoma 14.1.1 "natively" on this excellent laptop with Open Core 0.9.6 (no need for OCLP, no need to break APFS Seal, no need to disable SIP, no need to install OCLP root patches).  Using Open Wireless (itlwm/Heliport and Intel Bluetooth kexts), I have working Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in Sonoma.  Everything I have tested and need is working perfectly in Sonoma with this inexpensive Windows laptop.

With this purchase which allows me to natively run Sonoma without OCLP, I will be spending much less time maintaining my Dell Latitude E6410.  My posts in this thread and in MacRumors "Unsupported" threads will be much less frequent.  I have enjoyed the "Unsupported" ride and challenge.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have re-installed the original Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card in this Dell Latitude E6410 and am using Open Wireless itlwm.kext / HeliPort.  Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are working well for me in Ventura and Sonoma (still need to test Big Sur and Monterey).  The Open Wireless project provides an outstanding alternative to Open Core Legacy Patcher for those who do not want to inject OCLP's uncertified 3rd-party Wi-Fi root-patches into macOS.  I still use OCLP to apply Nvidia post-install patches to this hack.

• Like 1

@datafeedexpert I tried to boot my Dell Latitude E6410 after upgrading OC from 0.9.6 -> 0.9.7 (simply upgrade of binaries and confirming config.plist with ocvalidate).  My hack threw an error trying to load HfsLegacyPlus.efi (see here).  After I disabled HfsLegacyPlus.efi and attempted to boot again, OC 0.9.7 did not detect any of my APFS volumes (empty OC boot menu).  I reverted to OC 0.9.6 and haven't had time to test OC 0.9.7 again.  See OC 0.9.7 commits here.

See more here.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

For the interested reader... I found a bug in my SSDT-PTS-WAK ACPI patches.  If you want to test your ACPI knowledge, see if you can find the bug.  Hint: I never noticed it, because I don't boot Windows with Open Core.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

This is interesting reading for those who are using OCLP without understanding the implications of disabling Open Core's SecureBootModel.  Open Core's SecureBootModel must be Disabled to allow OCLP post-install root patches (including Wi-Fi root patches) to work.

EDIT: It would be wrong of me to suggest that OCLP and OC Devs have not done yeoman's work to secure the Open Core EFI.  See this very cool OC feature and read more here.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I provided OCLP testing updates (testing is just for fun/hobby/bragging-rights and not for production use for the security reasons stated previously), so this is just a quick update.  This hack is now able to run Sonoma 14.4.1 patched with OCLP 1.4.3 (Release).  My OC EFI is a using OC 0.9.9.  Sonoma 14.4.1 runs amazingly well on this old hack.  CPU/graphics power management in Sonoma 14.4.1 (with OCLP's injected power management kexts) is incredible... my CPU fan hardly runs during 'normal' office tasks.

For restored functionality and ease of patching, the OCLP Devs have done an amazing job.

About This Hack

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-04-01at4_05_37PM.png.8f52d2798da9e4c1daac292ccf55f029.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

It's been a while since I provided OCLP testing updates (testing is just for fun/hobby/bragging-rights and not for production use for the security reasons stated previously), so this is just a quick update.  This hack is now able to run Sonoma 14.4.1 patched with OCLP 1.4.3 (Release).  My OC EFI is a using OC 0.9.9.  Sonoma 14.4.1 runs amazingly well on this old hack.  CPU/graphics power management in Sonoma 14.4.1 (with OCLP's injected power management kexts) is incredible... my CPU fan hardly runs during 'normal' office tasks.

For restored functionality and ease of patching, the OCLP Devs have done an amazing job.

About This Hack

Hide contents

Screenshot2024-04-01at4_05_37PM.png.8f52d2798da9e4c1daac292ccf55f029.png

What method do you use in OC to activate Nvidia?
I use Nvidia inject in Clover and in OC I use Patch DSDT

Posted (edited)

@PG7 I use SSDT hot-patch with OCLP post-install patches.  See my OC EFI here.

EDIT: @PG7 I see that my posted EFI is old.  When I get some time, I will post my most current OC EFI after Open Core 1.0.0 is released.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Thanks 1

How have you been, I modified my post just now it looked like I was hi-jacking your thread at first.  I have a question regarding your ECDV device.  Your ECDV device does show AppleACPIEC under your ECDV in your ioreg snipit you posted way back on my Asus G51JX post.  My question is regarding your SSDT-EC.  I see the scope is for LPCB.  I have see two versions of this SSDT-EC.  The one you and I are using maybe meant for laptops and one maybe for desktops where the scope is SB rather than LPCB.  

Should EC be under SB or LPCB or should it be under SB for desktops and LPCB for Laptops.  We don’t want our AppleACPIEC under the EC device on PCs either way correct?

Edited by oSxFr33k

Posted (edited)

@oSxFr33k Long time no talk!  I had to review our old discussions to refresh my memory.  Glad to see you're still active.  Hopefully I gave some good advice previously, as I was helping you while I was still figuring out things myself.

I spun my wheels over back and forth iterations of how to patch EC (not seeing a difference in any of them).  I finally settled on an Acidanthera recommendation to add a new EC device without renaming the original.  Renaming your original EC can have unintended downstream affects that change how you patch other elements, since Open Core ACPI renames (ACPI patches) happen before ACPI Adds (SSDTs).

If your hack is working, I don't think you need to worry much about where a particular binding (e.g., AppleACPIEC) appears in your IOReg.  This guide recommends keeping the original EC device (not renaming EC) for laptops.  Note that the recommendation is different for Desktops.

EDIT: Here's a snapshot of the IOReg on my HackBookPro6,2 (captured with IORegistryExplorer2.1 in Ventura 13.6.6):

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-04-03at9_07_09AM.png.b414e887d8e5169522229a2cc7d199c3.png

@oSxFr33k Did I answer your question?

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1