[Guide] Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia) Hackintosh: Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura & Sonoma macOS installations with Open Core Legacy Patching

deeveedee

295 posts in this topic

I have upgraded this hack to OC 0.9.0.  I'm not updating my posted EFIs until OCLP 0.6.2 is released.  If you want to upgrade to OC 0.9.0 from 0C 0.8.9, the updates I performed are as follows:

Upgrade OC 0.8.9 -> OC0.9.0

• Update EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
  • Update EFI/OC/Drivers/*.*
  • Update EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi
  • Update EFI/OC/Tools/*.*
  • Update EFI/OC/Kexts
    • AppleALC.kext 1.7.9 -> 1.8.0
    • Lilu.kext 1.6.3 -> 1.6.4
    • VoodooPS2Controller.kext 2.3.3 -> 2.3.4
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • No changes
  • Apply new LegacyBoot
  • Apply new LogoutHook

Note that if you downloaded OC 0.9.0 when it was first released, you may need to download OC 0.9.0 again since the original OpenCore.efi was incorrect.  See details here.

Edited by deeveedee

I had previously reported that I was having shutdown issues after installing Norton 360 Security Suite / AntiVirus.  I am no longer experiencing any shutdown problems (or any problems) with Norton.  I am not sure if these problems were resolved by my ACPI patching refinements, a change in macOS or a change in Norton.  With Norton installed, this hack continues to work perfectly.  At the time of this writing, my baseline is Monterey 12.6.3, OpenCore 0.9.0, OCLP 0.6.1.

EDIT: Performance remains surprisingly good after installing Norton on this hack.

Edited by deeveedee

Slice has posted a revised HWMonitor2.  I have installed it on this hack and it works great.  See here.  Remember that I have sensor kexts disabled in my posted EFIs, so you will need to enable the sensor kexts when using HWMonitor2.

• Like 1

After waking from sleep, my hack's built-in PS2 keyboard did not work.  I needed to attach a USB keyboard to login (my hack is configured to require a password after wake).  I have not had this issue before and my only recent change was an upgrade to OC 0.9.0 which included an upgrade of VoodooPS2Controller.kext from version 2.3.3 to 2.3.4.  I will monitor this and revert to 2.3.3 if necessary.

@1Revenger1 No, I don't use that boot-arg.  Funny that you mention it, because I was thinking I might have to add it to fix this possible issue.  I'm not going to react yet and will continue to monitor my hack's behavior.  Thanks for watching this.

EDIT: @1Revenger1 I've experienced multiple sleep / wake cycles without a repeat of the PS2 keyboard issue.  One other change that I made recently was the installation of Norton 360 Security Suite.  Earlier in the evolution of my solution for this hack, I found that shutdown was broken with Norton 360 installed.  I recently re-installed Norton 360 and found that shutdown was no longer broken (see here), but Norton 360 may have contributed to the keyboard issue upon waking.  So far, this issue appears to be rare and very hard to reproduce.

Edited by deeveedee

EDIT: I no longer see this problem with FeatureUnlock.kext 1.1.4.  With FeatureUnlock.kext 1.1.4, I can enable the kext without experiencing any macOS booting issues.

============================================================

My HackBookPro6,2 does not boot macOS when FeatureUnlock.kext is enabled.  Details below.

I'm looking at OCLP 0.6.2 Beta and comparing 0.6.2's generated-EFI to mine.  So far, I only see some minor kext order changes (in config.plist, Kernel > Add).  My current EFI does not enable FeatureUnlock.kext (which according to this unlocks NightShift for MBP6,2).  I have found that if I enable FeatureUnlock.kext, my HackBookPro6,2 does not boot macOS (boot freezes at Apple logo before progress bar appears).  I have not tried to debug this and will be leaving FeatureUnlock.kext disabled at this time.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

EDIT: I am currently running with VirtualSMC.kext and boot-arg vsmcgen=1.  It's very early in my testing, but boot-arg vsmcgen=1 does appear to have fixed the boot problem with VirtualSMC.kext.  I'll report back again after I have more evidence.  I'd still be interested in knowing what this boot-arg does.

This issue is documented here.

I suspect that there should be a clue in IOReg

Spoiler

1457472133_ScreenShot2023-03-23at2_57_23PM.png.a84dccb476f68b1b4e81d6fab935da0d.png

==================================

I stumbled upon a post that claimed that users who experience boot issues with VirtualSMC (as I had with this hack) may be able to resolve the boot problem by specifying boot-arg vsmcgen=1.  This boot-arg is documented here, but the purpose of vsmcgen=1 is still not clear to me.  Does anyone know why specifying boot-arg vsmcgen=1 may permit use of VirtualSMC.kext with this legacy hack?  I'll be testing this as soon as I get a chance.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I am now reliably booting Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura with VirtualSMC.kext and boot-arg vsmcgen=1.  I like occasionally using HWMonitorSMC, so my next posted EFI may include both FakeSMC and VirtualSMC (and associated sensor kexts) in OC/Kexts with one of the two disabled in config.plist.

EDIT: I have decided not to post a revised EFI, since I don't see any difference in behavior after upgrading to OCLP 0.6.2.  

===============================================

I have applied post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.2 and am not seeing any differences.  See my note here.

EDIT: My baseline for this hack is still Monterey. My Ventura volume is still version 13.2.1.

EDIT2: My internet connection is supposed to be 75Mbps down / 10Mbps up.  This old BRCM Wi-Fi (tested in Ventura 13.2.1) is maximizing the use of my internet connection:

speedtest BRCM Wi-Fi (Ventura 13.2.1)

Spoiler

1840734173_Screenshot2023-03-27at3_19_58PM.png.3cf215bf5337255b3feba4fbbf5fe96d.png

Edited by deeveedee

I upgraded to Monterey 12.6.4 and was expecting an uneventful upgrade since I was staying with Monterey.  Not so.  While the unattended upgrade completed smoothly, the upgraded Safari was blank when browsing various websites.  I needed to apply OCLP 0.6.3 [DEV] nightly-build post-install patches in order to resolve the upgraded Safari issue.  After applying the 0.6.3 patches, all appears to be working well with Monterey 12.6.4.

About this hack: Monterey 12.6.4

Spoiler

1443702664_ScreenShot2023-03-29at3_45_08PM.png.a4dfc72106ab00401b1ca4ba7862d089.png

EDIT: I upgraded to Big Sur 11.7.5 and applied OCLP 0.6.3 [DEV] nightly-build post-install patch.  Big Sur still works perfectly on this hack.

About this hack: Big Sur 11.7.5

Spoiler

1580265834_ScreenShot2023-03-30at10_48_17AM.png.bedbc9b54aeed5ad5bd87312c067bfdc.png

EDIT2: I'm staying with Ventura 13.2.1 (not upgrading to 13.3) after reading numerous posts about challenges with legacy Macs.  Monterey is still my production baseline, so I don't feel the need to be a hero with Ventura.  Xcode 14.3 will require Ventura (not supported in Monterey), so I will need to take the plunge when Xcode 14.3 is officially released.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I have upgraded this HackBookPro6,2 to OC 0.9.1 along with the Acidanthera kexts.  For the first time since creating this hack, I am able to turn on Bluetooth in Monterey.  I have not yet tested Bluetooth, but it looks like the latest BlueToolFixup.kext (which spoofs a Mac Board ID that has a USB BlueTooth transport) does fix Bluetooth.  Well done developers!

EDIT: My first Monterey and Ventura Bluetooth test is a success.  I am able to pair with a Bluetooth speaker for audio.

Transport: USB

Spoiler

491740864_Screenshot2023-04-04at7_34_57PM.png.471a20ec85d964b444a5fe97757e25e5.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I'm continuing to use this hack with Monterey 12.6.4 as my baseline macOS, patched with OCLP 0.6.3 from March 28 and booting with Open Core 0.9.1.  This hack is virtually perfect.  When  Apple completely drops all Intel support, I'm going to miss this hacking challenge and I'm going to miss watching the OC and OCLP developers work their magic.

Upgraded this old hack to Monterey 12.6.5.  Patched with OCLP 0.6.3 [RELEASE] and booting with OC 0.9.1.

About this hack: Monterey 12.6.5

Spoiler

947960618_ScreenShot2023-04-11at5_16_44PM.png.261bcaebcb79dbeb6bcfd7e8e76afd67.png

Edited by deeveedee

It's been so long since I switched from Windows to macOS on this Dell Latitude E6410, that I forgot about the basic problems that this laptop had with Windows.  I needed Windows 7 for some testing and installed an old SSD in this laptop to run Windows 7.  When running Windows 7, this laptop doesn't sleep reliably.  This hack runs macOS better than it runs Windows.

• Like 1

I tested Ventura 13.3.1 with OCLP 0.6.3 root patches, but 13.3.1 doesn't work for me (see here).  Since my attempted upgrades of Ventura beyond 13.2.1 are still not working, I am maintaining a Ventura volume with 13.2.1 and I create a new volume to test new versions of Ventura.

I performed a clean installation of Ventura 13.3.1 and it is working well.  My previous attempt to run 13.3.1 had been an upgrade from Monterey to 13.2.1 and then an upgrade to 13.3.1.  With a clean install (patched with OCLP 0.6.3 and booting with OC 0.9.1), Ventura 13.3.1 appears to be running well on this hack.

About this hack: Ventura 13.3.1

Spoiler

563706116_Screenshot2023-04-15at8_55_51AM.png.75cc5adb8c1218cb16ea0a9d389e3513.png

EDIT: Bluetooth pairs easily with Bluetooth speaker and sound quality is excellent.  XCode 14.3 installed without issues.  So far, Ventura 13.3.1 appears to be "perfect" on this hack.

EDIT2: MS Office 2019 installed without issues.  PowerPoint slideshow mode works.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I applied post-install patches with OCLP 0.6.4 and this hack still works great.  I didn't expect any differences from 0.6.3 - just wanted to be current.  OCLP's EFI for this hack (SMBIOS MBP6,2) has two changes from 0.6.3 to 0.6.4:

• RestrictEvents.kext upgraded from 1.1.0 -> 1.1.1
  • OCLP-Version incremented from 0.6.3 -> 0.6.4
Edited by deeveedee
Deleted my comment about RestrictEvents.kext. I was confusing RestrictEvents.kext with FeatureUnlock.kext

I needed to access images on a DVD, so I swapped my second SSD for the CD/DVD drive in the aux bay.  The CD/DVD drive works perfectly in Ventura 13.3.1.  Continuing to be amazed by this hack.

System Report: Disc Burning

Spoiler

318790370_Screenshot2023-04-19at11_20_39AM.png.a90292a7b5f8e548c5a9174ed3f6e8b3.png

Edited by deeveedee

EDIT: Leaving the comment below, but with the release of Monterey 12.7.7, Monterey is running better than Ventura 13.4 and is my preferred macOS on this hack for now.  My only reason for using Ventura would be XCode 14.3.

=============================================
Ventura 13.3.1 is running as well as Monterey on this hack and all of the apps I use are working well in Ventura.  Ventura 13.3.1 will now be my baseline macOS on this hack, so it looks like the latest macOS support on this 2010 laptop is good for another year.  Thank you Open Core and OCLP developers!

Edited by deeveedee

So far, I've found only one "annoyance" in Ventura 13.3.1 (patched with OCLP 0.6.5n): windows for Microsoft Remote Desktop and VNC Viewer do not show the full remote desktop.  The the outer edges of the remote desktop are cut-off:

1548965558_Screenshot2023-04-26at2_37_49PM.png.cdc49821034664f6b5a5f943dd165bf8.png

I found a work-around for this issue: minimize and then maximize the window.

Multiple displays appear to be fully supported on my HackBookPro6,2 running Ventura 13.3.1 and patched with OCLP 0.6.5n (20 April 2023) with the following exception: Microsoft Remote Desktop is not able to "Use All Monitors." When I connect an external display to my MBP6,2 (external display must be connected at boot to be detected by macOS), the external display works well, but it is not detected by Microsoft Remote Desktop.

Currently, my work-around is to revert to Monterey where MS Remote Desktop detects and works perfectly with multiple displays.

EDIT: I stumbled upon this.  Maybe not an OCLP issue?

Edited by deeveedee

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now using OCLP 0.6.5 [RELEASE] to install post-install patches.  All working well.  The only relevant EFI change in the OCLP 0.6.5-generate EFI is the removal of boot-arg -lilubetaall.